PDA

View Full Version : Tantrum-are the crashes bad?

LSV04
06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I want to try a tantrum-the speed and flipping backwards takes some guts. I have taken some nasti falls learning 360's . I heard that you dont want to under rotate landing on your knees and face. Is it better to go in hard and over rotate for the first one-I have to be at work on Monday and cant afford to be injured and I hate that kind of pain.
I heard because you flatten off at the wake you have to build even more speed in the beginning of the cut to compensate. Should I take a normal wake to wake edge or start my cut wider.

Smrtz
06-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Dude.... 2 words... THE BOOK... step by step, progression tree to get you to where you wanna be... if you cant do the other tricks leading up to that one in the tree get ready for some serious falls!

Just my 2 cents!

good luck!!

Yellowmobius
06-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I am currently re-learning the tantrum. The book is good, I like the Higher Learning cd.
My $.02 worth...Don't charge the wake really fast. You will end up filpping fast and low.
Start with a smooth progressive cut into the trip flip cut with a quick edge change at the TOP of the wake. My BIGGEST problem has been throwing too soon. If you charge the wake you have even less time to think about the edge change.

My personal opinion, the tantrum falls are generally painless. NOTHING like missing a Railey!

I am guessing most people that have problems are throwing too soon, I always do!

GOOD LUCK

Smrtz
06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
You are not the first person to tell me that the Higher learning DVD is a good one also!!

Cheers!

Jay

stang67
06-07-2006, 12:07 PM
i think the 360s falls are terrible compaired to the the tantrum. I build up my speed like a normal wake jump, but im starting further out from the boat so i have more speed. I flatten out at the trough of the wake then go from there. But like i said, i dont think the falls are as bad as the 3's. Just be confident in them.

Nboard10
06-09-2006, 05:14 PM
lsv04,

I also am in the process of learning a tantrum.. I might look into the 'tree' because i have only been riding for about 3 months...but I really want the trick..

Yellowmobius has given you the best advice so far. Wait until the TOP of the wake to throw the trick. That has been my problem for a while. At first I was throwing it too early and falling under-rotated and hardly getting any air.
Wait almost a full second longer than you think you have to..then throw it. Just hold on and keep your head back. You will spot the landing - this is where I am having problems now. Just pulling it off....
the falls are not that bad...I have only been hurt when the first time I tried it...I didnt rotate at all really - just hit the other side of the wake on my back. One of those - and you will be sure to huck it.

good luck - keep us posted!

LSV04
06-20-2006, 08:07 AM
I want to avoid that really fast and low flip-what is the best thing to do to avoid that-the video shows Kyle Schmidt landing soft and goind more up. Is it because he threw it late at the top of the wake?