PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery Selector Switch

mjr119
06-18-2015, 09:55 AM
I bought my boat used and it came with a battery selector switch that was previously installed but removed for some reason, not sure why. It's the $25 sea choice selector, do these fail often? Why else would the PO remove it?

Anyways, I want to install it or should I just pony up $35 for a Perko?

I'm using this install guide, is it really this simple? lol

http://www.perko.com/sstv_video/sstv_battery_switches_wiring_a_selector_switch/

Also, when I do get it installed, whats the proper way to use it? I have a stock stereo plus a sub and 2 tower speakers, I plan to upgrade this stuff eventually so I dont want to "grow out" of my battery set up selection. Although I will say that my stereo upgrade will be modest compared to most on here. So should I go with a deep cycle and a cranking battery? When I go to start the boat should I move it to "all" or "1"? When I am boat should it be on a single battery or "all" to charge both? Would this wear out my alternator faster?

mjr119
06-18-2015, 09:59 AM
Oh yeah, what gauge wiring should I use? I think a local stereo shop will make grounds a power wires with good crimped ends on them for pretty cheap, any issue with using car audio wiring and terminals?

MLA
06-18-2015, 11:09 AM
I plan to upgrade this stuff eventually so I dont want to "grow out" of my battery set up selection.

Then step up a little more and get a Blue Sea switch over the perko. Some of the cons about the perko: small studs, short stids, stiff plastic housing, shallow behind the switch for cables and only a single entry/exit for all the cables. The Blue is a much better switch.

With a traditional 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch, theres no real wrong way to use the switch. Its going to depend on how the entire setup is wired. There are best ways and not so good ways to wire. Its going to depend on the battery types as well. For those that plan to drop anchor and play the tunes, etc, I prefer a main cranking and deep-cycle setup.

mjr119
06-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. I live on High Rock Lake, I see you are on Lake Wylie. Not far away from each other.

What's the "best" way to do the wiring? I'd like to keep it simple like in the video. Ill have to look in to the blue sea switch. Thanks again.

mjr119
06-18-2015, 11:38 AM
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Blue-Sea-Systems-e-Series-9001e-Selector-4-Position-Battery-Switch&i=70446

Is this the switch you are talking about? What about the one with the automatic charging relay? What is the benefit of the relay? is it worth it?

MLA
06-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Adding an ACR gives the manual switch a little passive operation. It allows both banks to receive a charge from the alternator when engine is running, yet isolates the banks when engine is off. This setup uses a different Blue Sea switch then a traditional 1/2/BOTH/OFF. I like both setups.

I ride with a few peeps that get out on High Rock. Probably more accurate to say Tucker Town is were we ride most.

viking
06-18-2015, 11:57 AM
I've used the blue seas 7650 on my last 2 boats and like it alot. Still shore charge due to large stereo bank.

mjr119
06-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Okay you have my attention with the 7650. But I do have a few questions...

In the following diagram, it shows the switch panel or whatever to the top left, what is that exactly?

Also, at the bottom of the ACR, it has a 3 prong plug it looks like, wtf is that for?

MLA
06-18-2015, 01:50 PM
You have to look at that diagram as a very general, nonspecific illustration. You have 5 basic parts; the engine, main cranking batt, house batt, house loads and ACR. R.E. the 3 small terminals; one is ground control, remote LED and IGN lockout. The ground is the only one needed for basic operation.

mjr119
06-19-2015, 06:59 AM
What's the minimum gauge wiring needed for a standard perko? I know the posts on the switch are 3/8" but what size are the posts on a normal marine battery?

mjr119
06-19-2015, 09:46 AM
I have a huge wire coming from the starter, I think it's a 2 gauge, so what gauge do I need to connect battery 1 and 2 to the perko?

What size ground wire to connect both batteries?

I think all cable lengths will be 3' or less.

mjr119
06-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Im bumping this up. Still need to determine what size cables to use. Are the studs on batteries 3/8'' or 5/16"?

My battery studs look a bit larger than my sea choice switch terminals. So I think I am buying a new blue sea selector switch.

Where is a good place to order custom length marine wiring? Should I go as big as possible for the positive connections? What about negative?

lee
06-23-2015, 08:02 AM
I use 2/0 when I do a dual battery set up. You will need to measure your own battery terminals. Different batteries have different size studs. Some even have a different size for the positive and negative.

cfdrews12
06-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Agree with Lee. I just put in this specific setup this year. Works very well. Instructions come with the setup so you know where the existing cables need connected and the new ones need installed. The larger the battery cables the more "juice" they will move when starting or running. The instructions give you good advice on size you'll need based upon length of travel between hookup's and the batteries. There are a couple of good youtube video's as well showing setup and cable sizing.

My only scary moment was cutting off the existing positive battery connector and soldering on a 3/8 look connector because it goes to the connectors now, not the battery. Youtube video's on soldering new connectors are good as well. Tends to be better than crimping over the long haul.

mjr119
06-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Okay thanks. Im going with 2/0 positive cables. By the way, when you say that is it said "double zero?" just wondering

What size negative cable between the batteries?

MLA
06-23-2015, 04:07 PM
1/0 is more than sufficient to link the battery grounds and connect the batteries to the switch, given their proximity.

lee
06-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Okay thanks. Im going with 2/0 positive cables. By the way, when you say that is it said "double zero?" just wondering

What size negative cable between the batteries?

Same size. The current just makes a big circle.

mjr119
06-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Thanks, getting some cables made today hopefully.

My positive cable is pretty short, it barely reaches the battery stud. It has a 3/8" ring termial secured by crimping, looks to be copper. Is there any way I can extend it a few inches without compromising performance? Other than replacing the 15'+ cable, of course.

MLA
06-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Locate the switch so the cable reaches without the pulling. Much better then extending by adding another junction.

jmvotto
06-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Check out classifieds, there a bep marine vsr isolator for sale , same thing different brand , had one on the old boats and it worked great.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?26272-For-Sale-Battery-VSR-Voltage-Sensitive-Relay-Module

mjr119
06-25-2015, 10:21 PM
Saw that, thanks. My local audio shop said I shouldn't need anything larger than 4 awg for this switch. Thoughts?

MLA
06-25-2015, 10:33 PM
My local audio shop said I shouldn't need anything larger than 4 awg for this switch. Thoughts?

A typically V8 engine starter can peak between 250-300 amps and settle at around 200 amps continuous current draw.

lee
06-26-2015, 04:42 AM
Saw that, thanks. My local audio shop said I shouldn't need anything larger than 4 awg for this switch. Thoughts?

For your amps you should be fine.

mjr119
06-26-2015, 06:51 AM
This is for the battery cables not the amp.

jmvotto
06-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Go min 2/0. Gage, local auto shop like Napa , autozone, pep boys should have srew terminals or crimp ones for that size

lee
06-26-2015, 09:04 AM
This is for the battery cables not the amp.

I would find another shop.

mjr119
06-26-2015, 10:30 AM
I cant find anything bigger than 4awg in the entire city. I am calling more boat places now. This is crazy! Tried Napa, every audio shop in the city and surrounding areas...

mjr119
06-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Finally tracked down some 1/0 cables. I think this will suffice. The longer cable is 11 inches.

mjr119
06-26-2015, 08:13 PM
I got the switch hooked up and it seems to be working properly. I went with 1/0 gauge. Both positives are 1' long and the neg is 6". The 1/0 is actually larger than the wire to the starter.

Question. Where do the accessories wire in to the battery? I only have a pos and neg coming from the engine.

when I am cruising should I keep the switch on "All" or just one of the batteries? When do you guys switch throughout a day on the lake?

MLA
06-26-2015, 08:18 PM
I got the switch hooked up and it seems to be working properly. I went with 1/0 gauge. Both positives are 1' long and the neg is 6". The 1/0 is actually larger than the wire to the starter.

Question. Where do the accessories wire in to the battery? I only have a pos and neg coming from the engine.

when I am cruising should I keep the switch on "All" or just one of the batteries? When do you guys switch throughout a day on the lake?

I would consult the retailer that you got the switch from, for a custom wiring schematic and how best to use the switch. Every boat is different and they will know your setup best.

mjr119
06-26-2015, 08:34 PM
It's a standard perko 4 position switch.

lee
06-26-2015, 10:57 PM
From the switch, Battery #1 wire goes to the positive post of #1 battery. Wire on post #2 goes to positive post on #2 battery. Wire from starter now will go on the common post on the back of switch. All amp positive wires can go on the common post also.

mjr119
06-26-2015, 11:22 PM
I have the switch hooked up. My question is how does the dash and other accessories link into the battery

lee
06-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Should be through the other red wire with the breaker in-line.

MJHSupra
06-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Any reason the Std Perko verses the VSR or ACR Switches?

For a boat with standard stereo system and accessories, they all work fine. Always better to have 2 batteries on any lake.

With the Perko, watch sitting with the "ALL" position for long periods - both will drain. Good batteries probably would not be affected.

I'm thinking the perko was $40ish. I would have sold you my VSR for a bit more.

Mark

mjr119
06-27-2015, 02:08 PM
I do not have a separate wire to the battery for accessories. Only the wire for my amp and the starter wire.

I already had the switch, thats why I chose the standard 4 position Perko. My stereo system will be very simple. 6 interior 6.5", 2 tower speakers, im thinking 6.5 Krypt HLCD, I already have cans. Plus a 10" sub that I will upgrade to a 12 Most likely. Should I start the battery on Position "1", then switch to "All" while underway. Then when I stop to listen to tunes, switch it to position "2". Will it harm/overwork my alternator to ride around with the switch on "all"?

MJHSupra
06-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Some people use that switching - #1, ALL, #2. If so, I hope you have an easy-access mounting area.
People switch from #1 to ALL when running. I think Perko does not want you to go to OFF when the motor is running.

I know others that:
OFF = Storage
ALL = To start & when running
#2 = Playing stereo while at rest
#1 = When volts are very low and you are starting

For periods of longer sitting around with the engine off, always better to isolate.

Batteries are also play a part of equation. When you switch the Perko to "ALL", because the batteries are then connected in parallel and act as one, they will transfer charge between each other. So if one is really drained or bad, it will quickly drain the charge of the other until they are in equilibrium.

Alternator - I doubt it.

M-

mjr119
06-29-2015, 08:58 AM
The switch works great. So far this is my favorite "mod"! One question, every time I switch the battery to "off" it resets my head unit (audio settings, demo mode turns on, presets gone, etc), how can I avoid this?

mjr119
06-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Okay I did some research, and apparently there is a second power wire for the head unit memory, what color is it on a kenwood head unit if anyone knows this off-hand?

Would I connect this directly to a battery? Battery number 2 I would think...

Note: I feel like I should note that my head unit is straight wired into power somehow, not sure how or where, but I do not have a stereo toggle like most boats have... I would like to wire it back up, since I have an empty accessory switch. Not sure why the previous owner wired it that way, I guess when he replaced the head unit he didnt want to wire it back to the switch... who knows.

Also my wired remote doesnt work anymore. Where does it connect to the stereo head unit? Where are the wires usually ran from the factory (all the way around the bow or under the floor?)

mjr119
06-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Okay the memory wire is yellow for kenwood head units. I connected it directly to the number 2 battery positive. Memory works as it should now.

The positive from the head unit to the switch was connected to the power panel. I switched the wire back to the accessory switch so that works as it should now.

I found the wired remote connection. It is not connected to the head unit. Where does it connect?