PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Mojo Virgin... surf setup?

jacoba331
06-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Just got the 2014 mojo 2.5 with a lot of the goodies on it. still trying to figure out weight/speed and if we need to upgrade bags for surfing.

Currently we run all ballasts full (80% on the non surfing side)... tab in the 2nd position, wake plate 50%, and 11.4mph (upstream).

wake is not bad by any means, just not as great as I hoped (at least with these settings). Im a total virgin... just doing what the salesman told me to do.
But what SHOULD i do? Thanks!

nitrodude24
06-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Mike or drew will chime in..they have and had their 2.5s dialed.

168rod
06-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Need to upgrade rears to at least 900 and install 650 IBS. We all ride goofy and fill surf side full, about 800 non-surf, and fill center and IBS. Wake plate 3/4 down with surf flow in 2nd position and run about 11.7 mph.

muehlcj
06-16-2015, 09:50 PM
Just got the 2014 mojo 2.5 with a lot of the goodies on it. still trying to figure out weight/speed and if we need to upgrade bags for surfing.

Currently we run all ballasts full (80% on the non surfing side)... tab in the 2nd position, wake plate 50%, and 11.4mph (upstream)
wake is not bad by any means, just not as great as I hoped (at least with these settings). Im a total virgin... just doing what the salesman told me to do.
But what SHOULD i do? Thanks!

Add ibs, replace rears with 1100, pit 400 under port side. (If you are reg). Put 250lbs lead in bow, put 250-300 lbs lead in rear port compt. Fill everything full except starboard rear. Go about 900 with that. Flow in position 3, wake plate up and 10.2 -10.6.
Result:
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag152/muehlcj/Mojo%20wave_zpsvkamcume.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/muehlcj/media/Mojo%20wave_zpsvkamcume.jpg.html)
I'm 6'-1" it's about waist high or more.

uniwarking
06-17-2015, 07:56 AM
I've been pretty happy with 900's in the rear, 650 IBS, Wakeplate Full UP and FLOW in position 3. I fill the non surf side about 75%, everything else full. A few passengers will help a lot, if not you'll probably want more weight as muehlcj mentions above. Most people have found that a slight list along with the FLOW works better than a level boat. Took me a while to find the settings I liked, but with suggestions from people here on the board and a little time I'm happy with my wave. Good luck!

jacoba331
06-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks guys! Do 900 lb bags fit where the stock ones are? Is the IBS a pain in the ass to install? Where should I get these bags?

Mrd8ker
06-17-2015, 05:42 PM
www.wakemakers.com for the bags. That's where I bought my 900s. Your dealer for the IBS. Was too chicken to mess with it myself. 😨

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

168rod
06-17-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys! Do 900 lb bags fit where the stock ones are? Is the IBS a pain in the ass to install? Where should I get these bags?

IBS is real easy ... Took me about 45 minutes. Wakemakers will provide you all the fittings.

jacoba331
06-17-2015, 06:17 PM
does anyone know what the stock rear bags weigh? i know the full system is 1800 lbs. what if i get the 900lb sacks for the rear and just put one or two of the old sacs up front on the seats? would that work?

jacoba331
06-17-2015, 06:39 PM
also- looking at these 800lb sacs instead of the 900lb http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-v-drive-sacs.html they're like half the price! I just hope they fit in the stock lockers....

13mobiusLSV
06-17-2015, 06:47 PM
does anyone know what the stock rear bags weigh? i know the full system is 1800 lbs. what if i get the 900lb sacks for the rear and just put one or two of the old sacs up front on the seats? would that work?

Stock setup:
Rears - 650
Hard tank - 500

You could do that..I think you would be happier with an IBS.

rbeckner27
06-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Someone on here had toyed with the idea of putting the rear 650s up front inlu of a IBS but I don't member any further updates.

I have run about 1000lbs up front on the seats in place of an IBS for the past 2 summers but just last week convinced my wife we can live without the compartment space and gain the seating back by going with the 750 IBS so we are headed that route now. As for the rears I run 1100s because I would rather have it and not need it as opposed to wish I had more and not have it.

jacoba331
06-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Stock setup:
Rears - 650
Hard tank - 500

You could do that..I think you would be happier with an IBS.

welp... aesthetically and convenience wise ill be happier... but my bank account wont be! lol... how much do you guys think I could sell the 650 stock bags for if I try to offset the cost for an IBS?

also- I've read that 900 is pretty much the max for a clean wake for surfing and wake boarding... is this true?

by the way- thank you all so much for the help!! great forum!!

jmvotto
06-17-2015, 11:14 PM
Nope. Go with 1100 in the rear mojo lockers.

mmandley
06-17-2015, 11:51 PM
Sorry late to the party.

First Welcome and congrats on your new Mojo.

IF your running a Manual Surf tab and riding Regular side, what I have found best is.
900 Surf Side Rear
900 Non Surf Rear
500 Hard Tank
650 IBS
450 On the Bow seat surf side.
Wake Plate 50% to 100% up
Speed 10.5-11.5 depends on skill and size of rider.
Plate works on 1-3 one making the wave shorter and longer
2 taller and shorter
3 taller shorter all progressive of course

Goofy
1500 Surf Side
Nothing on Non Surf
500 Hard Tank
650 IBS
450 On Bow seat surf side.
Wake Plate 100% Up
Speed 10-10.6 Depends on skill of rider.
Plate works on 1-3 one making the wave shorter and longer
2 taller and shorter
3 taller shorter all progressive of course

Also I have found my Goofy side Speed on the boat even when calibrated says 12mph but Hand Held GPS says 10.1 So consider that when riding goofy.

For what you have

Regular Surf
650 Rears, Fill them Both up
fill Hard tank 500
Plate on 1-3
Wake Plate 100% Up
Speed 10-10.5

Goofy Surf
650 Rears, Fill only Surf side
fill Hard tank 500
Plate on 1-3
Wake Plate 100% Up
Speed 10-10.5

Surf Set Up adjustments

First understand how the Flow Plate works, it needs to be under the water at rest 2-6 inches ideal
If you sink it farther with larger bags then it just plows under water and doesn't work
If you don't sink it enough it runs too shallow and just doesn't provide you with 100% of its ability.

Speed
10mph is the Ideal to start. No matter your set up always start at 10, NO One in the water. Bring the boat up to speed, look at your wave, you want to see a nice dark center section this is the riders pocket.
The initial wave that forms from the center of the platform is what we call the Transition, this is where it transitions from the hull to the wave its self. This section is Extremely Fast and very hard to slow down if the board gets on this, also it generally will launch up on the swim deck.

As you Add weight to the boat, you change the wave, More REAR weight makes it taller, shorter, small pocket but more push for the rider.
Add weight to the front <nose> you get longer wave, longer pocket less push over all.

Once your rider is on the wave they can tell you what it needs, if you feel like you are always chasing the boat, rope is tight can't get slack then boat might be going too fast.

Boat to slow, generally you are on your back foot a lot, braking, back leg gets tired. This means the wave has tons of push and you can speed the boat up some and lengthen the wave.

Larger rider, you need a taller wave, more push less pocket
Lighter Rider you can have longer waves, less push longer pocket.

People In the boat
Generally you want everyone sitting on one side of the boat, but you can have lighter people sit opposite the surf side because they frankly don't matter.
Goofy is more sensitive to weight.
When you look at your wave at 10mph if its washed out, move people to that side of the boat and you can see it clean up.

Water Conditions play a big part too.
Yes you can surf with wind but water chop effects a surf wave just like glass makes wake boarding better.

Back to weighting.

Ideal you need to have 900s in both rears, 650 IBS in the bow, yes you can use a self filled bag in the bow, just place it on the side you are surfing. This will help roll the boat a little more and make the wave more manageable.
As you add more and more weight to the boat you will need to Speed up.
Example if you run the weights up above this line, you can go as slow as 10 to clean it up as you add more and more for example I am running over 3K I have to 10.5 to clean it up. As You speed UP the wave will stretch out more and more but at the above cost of, shorter wave, longer pocket, less push.

mmandley
06-17-2015, 11:58 PM
Your Surf boards and experience all factor into going ropeless, don't expect to just get up and go ropeless for any length of time right away It takes practice.

Here is a couple Videos of our wave. and a couple I made to show you how to clean the wave up.

This shows you how Speed effects your wave, this is also show list, or leaning the boat effects it. You can fix this problem with both issues.
When you go too fast the boat wants to level out, when it levels out you have no lean and the wave washes out

https://vimeo.com/63587764

This is a pretty ideal setup. Look at the wave darkness, this is how you want it to look. Now with less weight it won't be as big, but it will look very similar.

Also you can see water coming over the rear from the Starboard side, this is the Flow Plate and is Normal.

Regular Wave

https://vimeo.com/100844939

Here is our Goofy Wave

https://vimeo.com/92054107

As always, if you have concerns about your wave quality, post up pictures and videos.
This always helps to track down any issues you might be having, plenty of these guys on the forum know how to set the boats up, just takes practice. You might find you don't like any of my settings, and you make your own, its all how you like it man. My settings are what works for us, and how we like the wave. But feel free to ask questions, PM me or what ever. I will help any way I can.

uniwarking
06-18-2015, 07:57 AM
welp... aesthetically and convenience wise ill be happier... but my bank account wont be! lol... how much do you guys think I could sell the 650 stock bags for if I try to offset the cost for an IBS?

also- I've read that 900 is pretty much the max for a clean wake for surfing and wake boarding... is this true?

Get on wakemakers and chat with them. They have kits for the rears and kits for the IBS (all the fitting you'll need and instructions). All super easy to put in, you'll have it done in less than an hour with basic tools. We also have a Moomba forum discount so mention that you're a member here. When I bought mine, they said the 900's and 1100's really we're about the same in the space they were filling... and since the 900's were a bit cheaper and I prefer their build quality I went with them. Check the classifieds area, you'll be able to recoup some of your spend by selling your old bags. I would opt for the IBS so it can be plumbed in and not take seat space.

BamaMojo
06-19-2015, 08:27 PM

I run a 650 ibs, 1100 port And 900 starboard with man flow. Great wake. Check out video I posted in June pic thread, last page

2012 Mojo