PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Mildew & Stains from Upholstery

Fastest1
06-15-2015, 08:32 PM
I bought a 2008 Moomba Outback DD (at a very low price for the model) that looked like someone installed a cover with plenty of water in the boat. It created a terrarium like effect and grew mildew. I had already assumed a new interior was in order.2223822239
This is the before pics. At first I tried elbow grease, soap and water. That didn't do much.
Then I tried scrubbing bubbles shower cleaner. That made progress though I am a bit apprehensive of the bleach.
I then read about Hydrogen Peroxide. I tried it and it seemed to work ok but ran off too easily. I then got the bright idea of throwing in some baking soda. Man does this combo work! Apply with a brush or fine scotchbrite pad (only on vinyl not the gel coat in regards to the scotchbrite), let sit 10 to 15 minutes refreshing it if necessary to keep it moist. Then rinse. The difference is incredible. It will get the embedded stains left after using bleach! Brown or black stains, gone.
This was after a light effort with the above mix.

viking
06-15-2015, 09:05 PM
Nice work! Night and day difference. Still amazed how some people treat their stuff to let it get in that position..............

Fastest1
06-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks.

On the other hand in this case I am happy. I was looking at 1990-1998 boats for more money.

Teach my kids what effort can do.

mcdye
06-16-2015, 11:16 AM
doesn't look like the same boat. great job.

STX
07-03-2015, 05:11 AM
That is an amazing transformation mine isn't that bad but I would like to white to be white again like yours.
Can you tell me what strengths and ratios you used?

Thanks in advance

kaneboats
07-04-2015, 04:28 PM
My buddy dropped off his boat the other day to have my boys clean it. It sat outside during the divorce proceedings and was full of leaves and mildew. Not a pretty picture. We took the lysol with bleach spray cleaner to it and then let his cushions sit in the sun. Presto! No more mildew stains. Pressure washed everything and then rubbed out his hull. He came back in 4 days and thought we were playing a joke on him. "Where's MY boat?" The boys got a real kick out that one and made a little coin.

Fastest1
07-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Though I don't doubt the mix you made worked. The byproduct of mixing chlorine and Lysol could be chlorine gas.
I know as a child we used to mix powdered chlorine from pools and a cleaning product called Pine O Pine. It reacted automatically and produced a huge white cloud which we thought was cool. Fortunately we were always outside and upstream. Otherwise we would be dead. It was indeed chlorine gas that was created.

Btw. I had no real ratio or plan, the baking soda was just enough to keep the peroxide on the surface of the vinyl.

kaneboats
07-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Crap we used was a lysol brand cleaner with bleach.

Fastest1
07-05-2015, 06:32 PM
You are still posting but how about the guy who cleaned the boat? Anybody seen him ?;-)

5:00
08-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Tired the peroxide and baking soda this weekend. It really worked well on some stubborn stains. I tried a couple of other treatments from the store and they didn't touch this. I worked it in with a dish brush on heavily textured vinyl and it was pretty fast with only light scrubbing. It was a bit messy but I put towels down and vacuumed up the baking soda leavings and it came out great.

Fastest1
08-24-2015, 11:41 PM
It actually seems to help if the sun dries it out on the upholstery and then rinse it off. I did it in the full sun. I also just rinse it all down thru the bilge drain.

08-25-2015, 11:13 AM
I was worried it would damage the carpet. My wife took over while I worked on another project. I came back and she had it every damn where. The carpet seems to be fine even after sitting for a long time. Your results may vary. My solution was mostly baking soda like a paste consistency.
I think the baking soda helped as an abrasive as well. That, the brush and the peroxide could really get in the deep parts.

Fastest1
08-26-2015, 10:55 PM
Mine was a wet paste.

motosno963
08-27-2015, 01:03 PM
im going to have to try this

09-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Had some good results with Simple Green last weekend also. It took three applications vs one with the peroxide. Again I used that soft dish brush and it did come out but a much longer process.