PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Mobius Heater Core

BlatinD
06-11-2015, 03:35 PM
Anyone ever have a cracked heater core in a Mobius and have to replace it? Called Skiers Choice and it's a Heatercraft H202 (Moomba OEM #110222). Mine cracked and is leaking. That's just a core replacement right?

zabooda
06-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Yes on having a cracked heater core. Yes on a core replacement. If it isn't under warranty, I would go right to Heatercraft. Be sure to blow out the core when winterizing if it freezes in Everywhere.

mcdye
06-11-2015, 03:51 PM
No issues with past boats (with proper winterization). Correct, it is a heater core like in car. I would think it would be warrantied. I want to recall Moomba warranty on a '14 is 1 year parts/labor, 2nd year parts only.

BlatinD
06-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Have you guys ever done it yourself? If so, how difficult is it?

zabooda
06-11-2015, 04:28 PM
It wasn't difficult but it did take time to get to the heater box. The newer models have probably changed but you remove the heater water hoses, remove the vent tubes, disconnect the 12 volt wires and unscrew the mounting. My box was riveted together and those got drilled out and then you are at the heater core and blower. I think the box had a guide to slide the core out. Heatercraft people can explain what your particular model requires for disassembly. You can jumper the hose connections at the engine if you want to use the boat awaiting parts and reassembly.

BlatinD
06-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Thanks! Just spliced the hoses together....parts on order. Though I think Im going to take the old one to a shop and see if they can repair it. Its a small crack but it was leaking pretty good. Going out this weekend. I love this forum. Almost more helpful than these half ass third party dealers. Skiers Choice is good though.

zabooda
06-12-2015, 12:24 AM
Yea, those cores are expensive and a special size that can't be matched with car's heater core. Something you can do while the hoses are off is to add a valve to each hose so you can shut it off in the future for whatever reason.

JASONZ
06-15-2015, 12:55 PM
In response to adding a value...I installed a heater this year and put a value on the supply line.
The first time I fired up the boat I had a loose connection on the return line.
OK, cool....perfect test for the supply shut-off. The valve worked but the design didn't. It seems that with the supply shut off, the return line will draw water to the heater.
In summary, both the return and supply lines need shut-off valves if you want to stop water to the heater, at least in my situation with the 5.7 345HP.

mcdye
06-15-2015, 02:23 PM
I kept a small piece of heater hose tie wrapped in the engine compartment. In case I had issues, I would use as jumper from the water pump to the fitting on the manifold. (on older boats the fittings was on the cylinder head above the starter and the water pump)