PDA

View Full Version : Exile digital media center?

brain_rinse
06-11-2015, 08:01 AM
Ok one of you guys has to have the scoop. What are the details on this thing? http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/11/7b270c53f62e75a299b2927345cf5784.jpg

David Analog
06-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Looks like the same piece that JL Audio is about to ship.
I'm assuming they are sourced from the same place.
Just like the JL Audio Bluetooth 4.0 receiver that MAPs for $39.
http://www.jlaudio.com/mbt-rx-marine-audio-bluetooth-receiver-91126

brain_rinse
06-11-2015, 09:00 AM
I have the Bluetooth unit but this looks like a great remote replacement if the size is right. Is there any zone control or would you use this in addition to the eq?

David Analog
06-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Great to control your phone. No independent zone control.

trayson
06-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Ok one of you guys has to have the scoop. What are the details on this thing? http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/11/7b270c53f62e75a299b2927345cf5784.jpg

looks interesting, subscribed for updates...

brain_rinse
06-11-2015, 03:12 PM
What I've learned so far:

BT 4.0
Controls track up and down on your phone
Designed as a weather proof solution for the dash and head unit replacement
It also has remote in and remote out so it can trigger the audio system to wake up, or it can operate as a slave unit

trayson
06-11-2015, 03:40 PM

BT 4.0
It also has remote in and remote out so it can trigger the audio system to wake up, or it can operate as a slave unit

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it has an Aux input. Wonder if it has a usb input. Wonder the size. Wonder the price...

brain_rinse
06-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Got ahold of Brian and got the initial scoop. ADVRCP connections control track up and down. APTX codecs. IPX67 rated = weather proof. Price is $99 and they will start shipping in about 2 weeks or so. Check out the attached pic:

trayson
06-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Got ahold of Brian and got the initial scoop. ADVRCP connections control track up and down. APTX codecs. IPX67 rated = weather proof. Price is $99 and they will start shipping in about 2 weeks or so. Check out the attached pic:

Interesting. But I think they have the labeling wrong, as if there's only a single set of RCA's then they would have to be OUT not IN.

brain_rinse
06-11-2015, 04:19 PM
good question - I will ask

KG's Supra24
06-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Sounds similar to the WS bluetooth module (local track and volume control) but in more user friendly looking package.

Head units will soon be disappearing.

brain_rinse
06-11-2015, 05:21 PM
It's about time the head unit finally died. As a next step I'd like to see simple zone control built into devices like these. And a mic. :cool:

In the meantime...
http://steamunpowered.eu/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

MLA
06-11-2015, 06:27 PM
As a next step I'd like to see simple zone control built into devices like these. And a mic.

Well, this has existing for many years.

Now as to simple zone control. Fusion and Kicker have source units with built-in zone control, but its not fingertip ready as say from the Wet Sounds WS-420, Kicker ZXM-RLC and exile zld. Their zone control is accessed in a sub menu. That may not be simple in the context of your simple, but its zone control. IMO, simple needs to be a knob/dial. In a design like pictured, I see that being a challenge, and through a sub menu impossible without a display and a main control brain black box type source unit.

And i agree that head-units in a traditional sense, are going away. So many new mech-less units, units with USB that will allow streaming i-heart and pandora.

brain_rinse
06-11-2015, 07:03 PM
I agree that simple means a knob and not a sub menu. Someday maybe.

MLA
06-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Looks like Cerwin Vega has a similar unit 'bout ready to go as well. Just different faceplate.

http://cerwinvegamobile.com/all-products/item/293-cvbtr10.html

Complete Wireless Connection – Bluetooth 4.0 (A2DP, A V RCP, HFP, HID) ow current draw version
Water Resistant Touch Keypad For Marine Environment
Remote Trigger In/Out
Connect To Source Unit or Amplifier With Auxiliary Input
1” Mounting Hole
Direct To Battery Fused Wiring Via Internal Hard-Wire Installation

trayson
06-11-2015, 07:55 PM

BT 4.0

I think one of these might be in my future. The fact that I live about 30 minutes from the Exile Headquarters doesn't hurt...

Now I just have to figure out where to put it. Any suggestions?

brain_rinse
06-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Any empty gauge spots? Cut a hole where the remote is?

Brianinpdx
06-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Hi guys - Some 411 for you.

The Exile Media Center is an alternative to a deck. It's part of a kit that comes with the EXMC (whats pictured) and the EXDZ (dual zone controller). It's basically a great alternative to the traditional Deck head unit. This unit is different than the link earmark posted. David the JL link is a A2DP device similar to the Exile EXBT4 device. The EXBT4 device is also A2DP but adds the LE stack for low energy transmission loss which provides for 30% better battery life on your handset. There are many brands of bluetooth receivers... these are but (2) of them.

Neither of these products have anything to do with how the Media Center functions. The EXMC is based on AVRCP which does full function track control volume adjustment and audio distribution. Here's a quick run down on the Media center

- AVRCP Track control
- Volume adjustment
- BT4.0 LE compliant with APTX codecs
- IPX67 water rating sealed chassis
- Bezel mount
- Remote trigger output
- Slave Remote trigger input
- 2.2V output
- 2 zone fader controller

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/exmc1%20line%20drawing_zpsbgxoxynk.jpg (http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/brianinpdx/media/exmc1%20line%20drawing_zpsbgxoxynk.jpg.html)

trayson
06-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the details. The Aux input makes it more versatile. I like that.

KG's Supra24
06-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Except zone control with single output?

Brianinpdx
06-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Meant to include this with the other post - Here is the EXDZ (below) part of the Media Center Kit.

The intention is to create a simple to use efficient setup that doesn't require a big deck. We want the Zone control to be big and easy to use.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/dual%20volume%20controller%20line%20drawing_zpsrhc 1bpfv.jpg (http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/brianinpdx/media/dual%20volume%20controller%20line%20drawing_zpsrhc 1bpfv.jpg.html)

KG's Supra24
06-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Hey I like that. Can you remove david analog and repost so I can save it?? :) :) :)

Great combo of products. Simple effective solution since phones are now the easiest source.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

David Analog
06-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Excuse me. I'm back now. I had to take a .... oh, never mind.

So back on track. I like this category. Here's something else to consider. Whether it's the JL Audio, Exile, or a few other good options, best case voltage output is about 2 volts, and only when the BT unit is receiving max gain from the phone. Unlike when we are using a HU or EQ, the BT is our only gain stage before the amplifiers. We know how important good voltage is. With the passive dual zone control we are splitting the best case 2 volts out. So that is 1 volt max to the tower amplifier and 1 volt max to the in-boat amplifier. Plus, bridging or having to populate more than one amplifier input further divides the voltage. A HU or EQ with good voltage and triple stereo outputs resolves this. But if you want to avoid both and take the streamlined approach with a fairly big or complex system you might also consider the Kicker dual zone line driver or two JL Audio line drivers with controllers.

mmandley
06-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Excuse me. I'm back now. I had to take a .... oh, never mind.

So back on track. I like this category. Here's something else to consider. Whether it's the JL Audio, Exile, or a few other good options, best case voltage output is about 2 volts, and only when the BT unit is receiving max gain from the phone. Unlike when we are using a HU or EQ, the BT is our only gain stage before the amplifiers. We know how important good voltage is. With the passive dual zone control we are splitting the best case 2 volts out. So that is 1 volt max to the tower amplifier and 1 volt max to the in-boat amplifier. Plus, bridging or having to populate more than one amplifier input further divides the voltage. A HU or EQ with good voltage and triple stereo outputs resolves this. But if you want to avoid both and take the streamlined approach with a fairly big or complex system you might also consider the Kicker dual zone line driver or two JL Audio line drivers with controllers.

I have a full Exile system, have for 5 years now, But I will not be upgrading, or in my view downgrading to this unit. I just don't see a gain here to Delete my HU?
I currently don't use my HU already. I have the Exile BT unit running to my ZLDMK2 and it works great.

I don't see how its a Win when your killing all the Voltage to your ZLD, or WS420, or what ever unit you plug into. It was only as few short years ago everyone was upgrading HU from 2V outs to 4V outs and the big argument over more out Volts the better. Now we are going wireless, with 2V again...

KG's Supra24
06-12-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't think anyone with an eq would be looking at anything but the BT unit. Eq is certainly the better option (disregarding price)

I just bought a BT unit myself (too soon apparently). I was jumping between the jl and ws. Jl being the cheaper option and the ws giving you the ability to override phone controls at the module, or driver basically.

From my understanding, these units seem to give you the override function like the ws but in a more user friendly interface.

brain_rinse
06-12-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm going to use this in place of my remote and run the output to my ws420. (No zone knob) Gets rid of the now useless remote and gives me a stereo on switch that I don't currently have. Should be perfect.

mmandley
06-12-2015, 08:38 PM
I don't think anyone with an eq would be looking at anything but the BT unit. Eq is certainly the better option (disregarding price)

I just bought a BT unit myself (too soon apparently). I was jumping between the jl and ws. Jl being the cheaper option and the ws giving you the ability to override phone controls at the module, or driver basically.

From my understanding, these units seem to give you the override function like the ws but in a more user friendly interface.

Yea I get that. My only frustration with the BT units, so fare and I don't know if this caries across all the units is trying to switch phones sometimes.

On the Exile, you turn your BT off on your Phone. Then Someone else turns their BT on and it should link up. Works most of the time but not always.

Now another thing I tell people when they get on the boat is Phone in Airplane mode if you don't have service, and BT off LOL.

MLA
06-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Then Someone else turns their BT on and it should link up. Works most of the time but not always.

This may sometimes be caused by the phone. On occasions, I have to purge one of my BT's from my phone and then re-pair when the phone "sees" the BT but wont pair.

mmandley
06-12-2015, 09:03 PM
This may sometimes be caused by the phone. On occasions, I have to purge one of my BT's from my phone and then re-pair when the phone "sees" the BT but wont pair.

true true....

Brianinpdx
06-12-2015, 10:15 PM
BT operation can really be a zoo on a boat with multiple people all wanting to connect and play tunes from their playlist. The difficulty lays with any given BT receiver wanting to stay connected. Going into airplane mode or turning off BT at the handset helps, but its the nature of the beast.. I was in a boat last night with 8 people and 6 of them had previous connections with the BT module. A new person wanted to try it, but nobody could figure out who was connected. I said, "everyone play a song... and whoa! when music came out the speakers we knew who had the connection." BT is just BT. Its come a long way in a short time. Atleast the BT4.0 sounds damn good! -Brian.

Yea I get that. My only frustration with the BT units, so fare and I don't know if this caries across all the units is trying to switch phones sometimes.

On the Exile, you turn your BT off on your Phone. Then Someone else turns their BT on and it should link up. Works most of the time but not always.

Now another thing I tell people when they get on the boat is Phone in Airplane mode if you don't have service, and BT off LOL.

trayson
06-13-2015, 01:50 AM
For me, the benefit of this would be to allow the option to add BT, and give the ability to change tracks still.

I have a line driver on my 3.5mm aux input that goes into the WS. and I do end up playing most my music off my phone using the music player, spotify, or Iheartradio. When I'm in the water, if music is playing on my phone and the wife is driving, the phone might as well be a black box. The wife isn't going to swipe to unlock, then figure out what app is playing the music, and figure out how to track forward in that particular app while she's trying to drive. She's a damn good boat driver, but that's too much distraction when it's not her phone and she's not familiar with it.

However, if we're playing music off the USB that's connected to the Headunit, the ability to change tracks is EASY because of the remote by the throttle. It's pretty easy for me to give the "track forward" hand signal to her as a driver and have her hit the forward button on the Headunit wired remote. BUT, most of my good music isn't on USB. I've been leveraging spotify playlists more and more as well as listening to music I've downloaded recently to my phone.

With a BT module that has a track forward, it means that I can utilize the music on my phone but allow my wife the EASE of skipping to the next song while she's driving (which she won't do if she has to fiddle with my actual phone apps).

Another bonus is that I can take my phone out of its cradle and take a pic without cutting off the hardwired connection to the phone. Yeah, I've been told it's "best" to separate your personal phone from the DJ Music source, but the phone is what I keep most updated. So being able to "unplug" and be free from the wires gives a tiny bit more freedom to use my phone while out on the water w/o it affecting the rest of the people on the boat.

The optimal solution for me would be to have the BT integrated into the Head unit so the song titles would display on the wired remotes. however, that isn't going to happen unless I upgraded the deck AND my two wired remotes and I'm just not willing to make that kind of investment when the deck otherwise works just fine. (even if it is only used right now for USB)...

So bottom line BT is neato because it frees the wires and allows EASY skipping to the next song.

valleywine
06-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Hi guys - Some 411 for you.

The Exile Media Center is an alternative to a deck. It's part of a kit that comes with the EXMC (whats pictured) and the EXDZ (dual zone controller). It's basically a great alternative to the traditional Deck head unit. This unit is different than the link earmark posted. David the JL link is a A2DP device similar to the Exile EXBT4 device. The EXBT4 device is also A2DP but adds the LE stack for low energy transmission loss which provides for 30% better battery life on your handset. There are many brands of bluetooth receivers... these are but (2) of them.

Neither of these products have anything to do with how the Media Center functions. The EXMC is based on AVRCP which does full function track control volume adjustment and audio distribution. Here's a quick run down on the Media center

- AVRCP Track control
- Volume adjustment
- BT4.0 LE compliant with APTX codecs
- IPX67 water rating sealed chassis
- Bezel mount
- Remote trigger output
- Slave Remote trigger input
- 2.2V output
- 2 zone fader controller

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/exmc1%20line%20drawing_zpsbgxoxynk.jpg (http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/brianinpdx/media/exmc1%20line%20drawing_zpsbgxoxynk.jpg.html)

So, as far as hooking this thing up........can I simply plug RCA's into my deck and/or eq then run power wires? And can you daisy chain another one in a different location.

csm
06-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Maybe I missed this, but are these only being sold as a kit, or can you buy the BT controller seperately? I've only seen it referred to as a kit, but for those already with an EQ, I would think we would just be looking for the BT piece.

trayson
06-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Maybe I missed this, but are these only being sold as a kit, or can you buy the BT controller seperately? I've only seen it referred to as a kit, but for those already with an EQ, I would think we would just be looking for the BT piece.

My understanding is that the BT controller will go for about $99 by itself.

csm
06-17-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm liking this controller, but question for the audio experts. One reason I've never bypassed my HU is because I was told to tune my stereo only after setting the sub-woofer level (mine goes from -15db to +15db) to close to +15db. I'm not sure what this does, but my understanding is it sends maximum voltage to the amp? If you bypass your HU, and go directly through your EQ, either through BT or aux wires, would you account for this by increasing the sub amp's gains?

The one time I quickly used my EQ's aux input, it definitely didn't sound as strong as when plugging the phone into the HU using the USB cord. I've always assumed that's due to the sub level control of the HU.

trayson
06-17-2015, 06:38 PM
I'm certainly not an expert, but the output level that phones send through aux input is often less than what the deck sends.

I'm kinda surprised that you're bumping the sub output via the deck before it ever gets to the EQ. Personally, I leave all the settings on my deck FLAT and my settings on the phone flat as well. I set the sub level gain on my amp and use the sub level control on my EQ/zone controller to increase or decrease my sub output.

Bumping the sub up at the deck is almost like using a line driver but just for the sub amp.

Anyway, I think if you set all your gains on your amps and EQ appropriately, and have your amps sized appropriately, that you wouldn't need that +15db boost from the deck.

Again on the deck output vs the phone, if what's happening is the phone's output is lower relative to the deck, then you would either have to compensate by adjusting that gain on the EQ input, or add a line driver to increase the output from the phone...

That said, if you still want to go through the deck, you most certainly can. Run inputs from the BT controller to the aux input of the deck. and if you're afraid of losing that Aux input that goes directly into the deck, then remember that the BT controller has an Aux input on it as well. so instead of plugging something into the Aux in of the deck, you'd plug it into the aux in of the BT controller which would in turn be plugged into that deck's Aux in. so you'd be good.

csm
06-17-2015, 06:43 PM
My settings are all flat (I.e bass), this is a separate subwoofer level control. All of my googling has suggested it should be set like I have it before tuning but I'm not sure exactly what it does.

csm
06-17-2015, 07:08 PM
And my deck is a Sony with the unilink, so I don't believe I have an aux in. I want to eliminate the HU, just want to make sure I'm not decreasing the sound quality too much. A line driver is probably a must though.

smokeysevin
07-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Does anyone know when this will be out/where you can buy it? I have come up dry looking for it.

Thanks,

Sean

csm
07-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know when this will be out/where you can buy it? I have come up dry looking for it.

Thanks,

Sean

Their Facebook page says it would go public today, but I haven't been able to find it either.

smokeysevin
07-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Just got off the phone with exile, its going to drop around the 15th or so.

Sean

brain_rinse
07-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Preorders start today!

smokeysevin
07-15-2015, 10:21 AM
My order is in and I am stoked. At the least I will use it until I can replace the remotes on my Mobius, then move it to my ski.

Sean

csm
07-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Received mine yesterday... Didn't have much time this morning, but I wired it up without mounting just to test it out. Worked like a charm. Pretty pumped about having this functionality, and the sound was really good compared to other BT devices I've used. I'm running mine with a ZLD, so I'm not using the small zone controller knobs that came with it.

I was hoping I could just replace the Sony remote, but the Exile controller is much smaller, so looks like I'll be doing some drilling this weekend.

smokeysevin
07-31-2015, 10:22 AM
I am excited mine came in last night as well, I bought the small volume knob as well. Nicely made product, I will be adding a waterproof connector to the rear of the unit for the main power, ground, and control wires but otherwise it is great. Where do you think you will install yours?

Sean

csm
07-31-2015, 10:28 AM
I am excited mine came in last night as well, I bought the small volume knob as well. Nicely made product, I will be adding a waterproof connector to the rear of the unit for the main power, ground, and control wires but otherwise it is great. Where do you think you will install yours?

Sean

I'm thinking just to the left, and little lower than the Sony controller to the right of the driver's seat, under the 12V outlet. Mainly so that the wires are easy to get to, and it will be easy for my right hand to control while driving.

csm
07-31-2015, 02:58 PM
If I daisy chain all 3 power cables (+,-, & Remote) from my ZLD, will that cause any issues? All of my audio components are currently grounded at the same spot so I'd hate to introduce a ground loop. Should I homerun the wires or should a daisy chain be okay in this instance?

smokeysevin
08-03-2015, 09:52 AM
If I daisy chain all 3 power cables (+,-, & Remote) from my ZLD, will that cause any issues? All of my audio components are currently grounded at the same spot so I'd hate to introduce a ground loop. Should I homerun the wires or should a daisy chain be okay in this instance?

I am not sure how your boat is setup, mine is a basket case so it is getting a new power distribution block for just the stereo. The DAC will be grounded with the head unit at the feed side of the PDB while the amp will be grounded directly to the main terminal with the connection to the battery ground. The 12v+ side will be tied to the battery switch output.

I come from the Megasquirt Engine management side of electronics where grounds are hugely important so I am not sure if I will run the PDB back to the battery directly or if I will tie it to the engine. Either way they will all be crimped, soldered, and adhesive lined heat shrunk.

Sean

brain_rinse
08-03-2015, 10:15 AM
I pulled a fresh set of wires to power my eq and this controller. Install was super easy and my initial tests showed it very easy to use. I wish I had an open 2" gauge location for mounting. Having to get creative.

csm
08-03-2015, 11:41 AM
I went ahead and ran the +/- wires back to the distro block that my audio uses. The remote wire I just ran from the ZLD. Haven't taken it on the water yet, but works great so far.

brain_rinse
08-07-2015, 08:37 AM
This thing is awesome. Works very well!

smokeysevin
08-09-2015, 10:49 PM

Here is how I am connecting mine. I am very particular about ease of service, install, and removal.

Sean

trayson
08-31-2015, 05:10 PM
I just ordered my Exile Bluetooth media center. it's shipping today, the same day I put in the order. If I get it in my hands before I leave for Lake Billy, I'll definitely install it and use it for the holiday weekend.

Excited to have a new toy!!!

csm
08-31-2015, 06:38 PM
I just ordered my Exile Bluetooth media center. it's shipping today, the same day I put in the order. If I get it in my hands before I leave for Lake Billy, I'll definitely install it and use it for the holiday weekend.

Excited to have a new toy!!!

I'm super happy with mine. The only thing that I can't find a workaround for is that anytime I start the boat (I.e. After picking up a rider), my phone stops playing and I have to hit play again after the boat is started. I'm guessing it's the slight disruption in power and a function of Bluetooth in general. It also could be that I'm not using my phones default music player, but Spotify instead.

trayson
08-31-2015, 06:46 PM
I'm super happy with mine. The only thing that I can't find a workaround for is that anytime I start the boat (I.e. After picking up a rider), my phone stops playing and I have to hit play again after the boat is started. I'm guessing it's the slight disruption in power and a function of Bluetooth in general. It also could be that I'm not using my phones default music player, but Spotify instead.

I had this same thing happen with the built in Bluetooth on the Kenwood deck I had. Not only would it pause the music, but sometimes it'd also lower the volume on the phone.

I'm assuming that since the controller has a play/pause button that you're able to resume your music by just hitting play on the BT controller? I hope that's the case. I'm wondering if the reason the BT blips enough to pause the phone is because the BT is wired through the ignition circuit and when the boat is cranking that circuit sends all the available power to the starter...

I'll definitely be paying attention to this. If it does it to me, I'll most certainly see if I can prevent it by maybe wiring the BT directly to the batteries... Hoping that would prevent what you're describing.

I'll be using spotify too.

My BT shipped today. SO I'm hoping that I'll have it tomorrow and in turn will be able to install it Tuesday evening. *crossing fingers*. Exile is only about an hour south of me, so hopefully USPS gets it to me in a day. (I just wasn't willing to fight Portland traffic, so shipping was easier).

brain_rinse
08-31-2015, 06:51 PM
I made mine the power control for the whole system. This way the ignition switch has no impact.

csm
08-31-2015, 06:55 PM
I made mine the power control for the whole system. This way the ignition switch has no impact.

Can you expand on that? So does your BT get power from the switch, and then Everything remotes off of it?

brain_rinse
08-31-2015, 07:47 PM
Can you expand on that? So does your BT get power from the switch, and then Everything remotes off of it?

I wired the Exile media center direct to the battery with no other switch involved. Then the remote out of the media center is the remote wire for the amps and eq. So I can turn on the media center without the ignition on, and start/shut off the boat and the music keeps playing.

csm
08-31-2015, 08:07 PM
I wired the Exile media center direct to the battery with no other switch involved. Then the remote out of the media center is the remote wire for the amps and eq. So I can turn on the media center without the ignition on, and start/shut off the boat and the music keeps playing.

Thanks. Dumb question... What do you do with the 'remote in' wire for the media center? Is that also wired back to the battery? Or does it not need to be wired to anything if you are manually turning the center on? Not sure exactly how that functions.

brain_rinse
08-31-2015, 08:11 PM
Not a dumb question. The remote in is unused in my install. If you wanted to use a stereo switch to control everything then you would wire the switch to the remote in on the media center.

trayson
09-02-2015, 11:53 AM
I installed my Media center last night. I was pleased with how it came out.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IP7RKKo-PU4/VecYXF-da7I/AAAAAAAAaKA/gayRPOrgods/s800-Ic42/20150901_181430.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2jl1IMOsylA/VecYVljxtMI/AAAAAAAAaJ4/LUd2DGUMGdw/s800-Ic42/20150901_181418.jpg

I first wired it up so that it was receiving a remote turn on signal from my headunit. The headunit is powered on with the "stereo" switch on the dash. That wasn't the best way to go. When I cranked the ignition, it pulls power off that "stereo" circuit and will pause the music on my phone and in turn it actually dropped the BT connection and I had to mess with my phone to get it back. No bueno. However, it was an EASY fix because the media center has the ability to SEND a remote turn on lead. My WS420SQ is wired to the perko as are my amplifiers. so the BT Media Center is piggybacked on the same circuit as the 420sq and now the remote turn on leads for the amps and the 420 are all controlled by the media center. (and believe it or not, my Wetsounds EQ didn't explode when I connected it to the Exile Bluetooth Controller!!!) I can run my system without the head unit at all. I'm still keeping my head unit for playing music off the ipod or USB. it's there, so might as well keep it around.

Anyway, we're taking off tonight for a holiday weekend trip and will put the Media Center through the paces, but so far, so good. Pairing was incredibly easy and it sounds clean and clear. My android phone seems to be happy with the BT4.0

csm
09-02-2015, 01:02 PM
I like your location. I didn't have any room in the dash, or I would have done the same.

For my wiring, all of my audio equipment including amps and EQ are triggered from the HU, which is turned on by the Stereo switch. I guess that whole circuit is wired into the ignition switch (installed by the previoius owner, so I'm not sure where that even is...)

For now I'm just removing the remote wire from the ZLD to the media center. The power wires for the BT are already wired back to the distribution blocks, so I'm good there. I'll just have to turn on the stereo switch, and manually turn on the media center now. We'll see if that gets annoying before I decide to rewire all of the remotes.

trayson
09-02-2015, 02:46 PM
I like your location. I didn't have any room in the dash, or I would have done the same.

For my wiring, all of my audio equipment including amps and EQ are triggered from the HU, which is turned on by the Stereo switch. I guess that whole circuit is wired into the ignition switch (installed by the previoius owner, so I'm not sure where that even is...)

For now I'm just removing the remote wire from the ZLD to the media center. The power wires for the BT are already wired back to the distribution blocks, so I'm good there. I'll just have to turn on the stereo switch, and manually turn on the media center now. We'll see if that gets annoying before I decide to rewire all of the remotes.

Thanks. I didn't think I'd be able to fit it there and was actually going to put it on the flat part of the dash below the gauges. But I tested the clearance and it looked "close enough" so I just drilled it and it worked great.

I'm in the same boat. I have to turn on the BT Media Center, which will turn on the EQ and my amps. If I want to use the deck or the remotes, I have to switch on the "stereo" switch on the dash. I suppose I could rewire so the stereo switch is hot and not through the ignition. Or I could just eliminate the "stereo" dash switch all together and have the media center be the trigger for everything. But it's not that big of deal to me. Honestly the biggest gain would be freeing up a dash switch that I could repurpose to something else (like transom lights or something).

mmandley
09-02-2015, 03:17 PM

My 13 Mojo has the turn and release start, just turn the key and let go, it automatically starts. Also on mine the stereo is completely separate from the ignition from the factory. When I start the boat it never interrupts the stereo. Matter a fact my entire cluster of switches is separate from the ignition.

On my 08 LSV the stereo was interrupted during engine cranking though.

Brianinpdx
09-02-2015, 10:09 PM
I've been away guys- surfing lots of waves around the country. Sorry for not participating much in this convo... Sounds like you have all figured out that there are many ways to wire and everyone is right. To be clear the Media Center has Remote in and Remote out. So this means it could be used to TRIGGER the whole stereo setup, or be TRIGGERED by a remote source (like a deck). Carry on.

Hope everyone enjoys it. Hows the BT range for you all?

-Brian

trayson
09-09-2015, 11:22 AM
I'm back from our Labor Day weekend trip. We ran the boat for 5 days in a row, going out for 2 to 3 boating sessions each day. We ran it through the paces without question and it completely met/exceeded our expectations.

I was only able to test the range with the front half of the boat in a slip. so I couldn't really stand behind the boat to test it. The unit was solid in the boat. when I started to get more than one boat length away I'd get a couple hiccups on my signal. I'm sure it has to do with my mounting location on the dash surrounded by electronics and wires. That said, why would I need any more range than in my boat?!? For my needs, it's great.

As far as sound quality, it's on point. I actually did a test with my phone and a friend's phone. On his, the sound quality of the BT was equal to the sound quality of the 3.5mm. On my phone, we both agreed that the sound quality of the BT was BETTER than the 3.5mm.

A huge plus (and something that I was secretly hoping for) is that before the BT, if I had my phone plugged into the hardwired micro-usb charging cord and was playing music off the 3.5mm of the phone, I'd get cell phone feedback noise over the system. so I could only charge music or play music, but not both. With the phone charging and the music output via BT, I didn't get any cell phone noise! YES!

Using my Exile media center as a system "turn on" is working great. I found myself running quite often with ONLY the exile unit on (which triggers the EQ and my 3 amps) and didn't even turn on my headunit with the wired remotes. Also, it's pretty damn cool to be able to unload the boat and put my phone in my pocket with the music still going as we wipe down. There's an LED on the unit itself and since it's triggering the remote turn on lead to my system it also lights up the LED's on the EQ. So I haven't left it on by mistake yet, and I used it for 2 to 3 runs a day for 5 days in a row. That whole time I used it, I NEVER had a single quality issue.

I did figure out that upon power up, the BT controller will automatically connect with the last phone it was connected to. So, if my buddy's phone was playing BT last, it'll connect to his phone first. If I was playing BT last, but turn on the Exile controller w/o the BT on my phone powered up, it'll connect to my buddy's phone (assuming he'd paired with the controller in the past) if my buddy had his BT running on his phone. So I did find myself saying "OK, who has their BT on???" And my buddy then hijacked the music and started playing from his phone! LOL. Pairing a phone with the Exile controller couldn't be easier. No having to put the exile unit into pairing mode (it does that automatically) and no need for any silly default code. Just turn on the Exile BT, look for "Exile" on your phone, hit "pair" on your phone, then start jammin' your tunes.

The ability to track forward and back is great. It works really well on a default music player. I've had the track forward work to advance to the next song on a Spotify playlist, but it's honestly hit or miss with Spotify. That's not the fault of the Exile controller, as I've had the exact same behavior from Spotify playing off other BT controllers in some of our other vehicles.

It's also nice that I was able to hook up the BT controller to the Aux input of my EQ/ZoneController and NOT lose that Auxiliary input.

So, bottom line I'm quite happy and think Exile did a great job on this one. Yeah, the only thing I can say is that my range was rock solid IN the boat, and I didn't see the 50 to 75 feet that some others have been getting. But I don't go swimming or surfing with my phone, so it's all good in the neighborhood! If that's the only area I can offer a criticism, I'd call it a homerun.

Brianinpdx
09-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Trayson - sounds like you had quite a good trip. One of these days I need to get out with you.. Thanks for the feedback on the Media Center. It's been getting good reviews. I appreciate. -Brian

mazzyel2162
04-20-2016, 11:55 AM
will this work with the Kicker ZXM-RLC zone controller?

trayson
04-20-2016, 12:04 PM

Sure. are you thinking of ditching your head unit? If so, the exile unit would be perfect for that. The exile has an RCA output that you could certainly connect to the kicker zone controller. easy peasy. I personally have the Exile media center and I'm VERY happy with it. I rarely use my deck anymore.

mazzyel2162
04-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Yes - not using the head unit would be great. Any idea if you can use the standard head unit remotes with media center?

Insurance is paying for new speakers, so I'm thinking might as well add this to my order!

trayson
04-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Yes - not using the head unit would be great. Any idea if you can use the standard head unit remotes with media center?

Insurance is paying for new speakers, so I'm thinking might as well add this to my order!

It honestly depends on how you wire it.

If you go Media center -> Deck -> zone control -> amps. then yeah. your deck remotes would work. But at that point, I think it's kind of silly to pay the extra money for the media center, as you might as well just get the standard exile Bluetooth unit (I have that one in my car) unless you really think you'll benefit from the track forward/back on the media center controls (your deck won't facilitate track forward and back if you're playing on an external BT input remember)

But if you went from the media center to the zone control, then you're bypassing the deck and in turn bypassing the transom remotes. Head unit remotes are only designed to control that headunit and the volume of anything downstream.

MLA
04-20-2016, 12:56 PM

Yes, sure will! The ZXM-RLC is a universal pre-amp dual-zone volume control with a 9V per chnl line driver. It will give you fingertip volume control over 2 zones. The knobs can be surface or panel mounted. It only requires a single right and left input signal and then the control module does the splitting for you. No loss of line level like splitting the output from the head-unit to multiple amps. You dont need a bunch of long RCA runs like with a simple POT level control.

mazzyel2162
04-20-2016, 01:08 PM
cool, thanks. I already have the Kicker zone control in the boat.

Trayson, thanks for the feedback. Guess one really doesn't need to use the existing remotes, when everything can be done thru the phone.

Believe it or not, I do not have a cell phone and know zilch about them and apps and all that BS. But, every guest that comes in my boat always wants to play their own tunes thru their phones.

trayson
04-20-2016, 01:59 PM
I would go media center then. it allows the driver to track forward and pause the music. it's really nice for my wife when she's driving to be able to skip forward a song if we aren't feeling it. Being able to do that without having to get into the other person's phone that is your music source is really nice. The media center also has an auxillary input cord, so you can still hook in source from a headphone jack.