PDA

View Full Version : Pissed!

trmaggie98
06-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Dealer had the Hulk put on the oil filter. I crushed the side in with the filter wrench trying to get it off. Bought a different wrench, it still wont budge it. Looks like I might have to haul it 45 minutes to the dealer tomorrow so that they can remove it, then drive 45 minutes back. BS!

brain_rinse
06-09-2015, 10:31 PM
My go-to stuck filter move is to stab a long screwdriver through the filter. I'm still undefeated, but it's messy.

trmaggie98
06-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Yea I really don't want to do that. Ill let them do that and then they can clean up the mess.

DOCDRS
06-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Oil the seal

wolfeman131
Just pop a hole in the bottom of the filter and drain any remaining oil first. Then, put a ziplock bag around the filter to about 1/2 way up and run the biggest screwdriver you have thru it and turn. Probably be less aggravating than 1 1/2 hrs in the truck.

996scott
righty tighty lefty loosy? i've made that mistake more than once. :)

Fastest1
06-09-2015, 11:50 PM
Really, you will pay them unreal rates to do just as others have told you? It is an oil filter! Stab and unscrew. It is not a delicate part.

viking
06-09-2015, 11:56 PM
understand your frustration and I would be a bit angry myself. But your not the first on here to have that issue. Take the advice and get after it and show it who's boss and it'll be "screwed".

trmaggie98
06-09-2015, 11:57 PM
I know I can do it and how to do it. Since those guys caused the problem, they should fix it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
06-10-2015, 06:02 AM
I don't disagree, but unless they are compensating you for your time & fuel . . . .

it ain't going to be free.

muehlcj
06-10-2015, 06:06 AM
Filters get stuck. Even when you oil the gasket and only hand tighten. Did the dealer agree to fix for free?

x 2 on the drain, bag, screwdriver.

jmvotto
06-10-2015, 08:45 AM
get one of these for future use, wont crush

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/740-331?adpos=1o1&creative=44525597410&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&cid=Google+SEARCH+NON-BRAND+PLA+-+Shopping+Campaign+(Low)&gclid=CPujxOSThcYCFY4XHwodPZ8A3w

jstenger
06-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Mine was stuck from the factory.

1. Stripped the end using a filter socket.
2. Crushed it using a strap wrench.
3. Ripped it using a screwdriver.

Ended up having to remove the oil lines and pulling the whole remote filter assembly out of the boat. I placed the block in a vice and had to use a chisel to break it loose.

mcdye
06-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Ended up having to remove the oil lines and pulling the whole remote filter assembly out of the boat. I placed the block in a vice and had to use a chisel to break it loose.

Been there...Once... I had to remove the remote housing, put it a vice, and used a pipe wrench on it.

trmaggie98
06-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Jmvotto, tried that one, wouldn't turn it, just slipped around the edges of the filter.

They did agree to fix it. Not a big deal to drive up there since I work remotely anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
06-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Mine was stuck from the factory.

1. Stripped the end using a filter socket.
2. Crushed it using a strap wrench.
3. Ripped it using a screwdriver.

+1. I had to remove the remote filter assembly and had to put mine in a vice and use TONS of force to get it to break free. Ultimately mine had the filter gasket stuck to the housing and the force I applied was to basically rip the gasket free of the filter itself.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FKySNMNAUX8/VQu8Kzp6SVI/AAAAAAAAYT0/pP7_107q5b4/s800/20150319_222434.jpg

mmandley
06-10-2015, 05:27 PM
I have always found the oil filter takes a lot less pressure when installing then the average person thinks.

Put oil on new gasket, then twist it on and as soon as it stops spinning on its own, ever so slightly snug it. Not even a 1/4 turn. Just snug it a little more. Almost as if you had oil on your hand and your trying to tighten it.

The oil that enters the filter and heats it up will finish the sealing job. If you crank it on tight by hand you can bet you will have to force it off the next time.

After its on start your engine when its safe and look at it, leaking? Tighten slightly more. If not leaking then leave it alone. I have been doing it this way for 30years and never had a leak or an issue when I remember to pull the old gasket off LOL.

newty
06-10-2015, 08:55 PM
I have always found the oil filter takes a lot less pressure when installing then the average person thinks.

Put oil on new gasket, then twist it on and as soon as it stops spinning on its own, ever so slightly snug it. Not even a 1/4 turn. Just snug it a little more. Almost as if you had oil on your hand and your trying to tighten it.

The oil that enters the filter and heats it up will finish the sealing job. If you crank it on tight by hand you can bet you will have to force it off the next time.

After its on start your engine when its safe and look at it, leaking? Tighten slightly more. If not leaking then leave it alone. I have been doing it this way for 30years and never had a leak or an issue when I remember to pull the old gasket off LOL.
This....
I always pull the o-ring out and wet the whole thing with oil. Then snug it up.

kaneboats
06-10-2015, 09:03 PM
I don't think I've ever heard of one vibrating off either.