PDA

View Full Version : New Indmar Raptor engine

Davpmars
06-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Does anyone get nervous when a company takes something good and changes it? I know that the Chevy block Indmar 5.7 L engines have been awesome for a long time. Does anyone have any experience with the raptor engine? I assume it has more power but are we concerned about Long-term reliability of such a new engine?

rdlangston13
06-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Does anyone get nervous when a company takes something good and changes it? I know that the Chevy block Indmar 5.7 L engines have been awesome for a long time. Does anyone have any experience with the raptor engine? I assume it has more power but are we concerned about Long-term reliability of such a new engine?

Everyone I know with a boat that has the new motor raves about how awesome it is. My buddy Robert test drove a 2014 mojo with the 5.7l 330 hp indmar and then test drove a 2015 with the raptor and said it was a night and day difference

rdlangston13
06-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Everyone I know with a boat that has the new motor raves about how awesome it is. My buddy Robert test drove a 2014 mojo with the 5.7l 330 hp indmar and then test drove a 2015 with the raptor and said it was a night and day difference

wolfeman131
06-09-2015, 08:39 PM

I think the 6.2L Ford Raptor motor has been around since 2010.

While my experience is limited, I'm loving the new power plant.

yz 2smoke
06-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Drew, how fuel efficient is it?

wolfeman131
06-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Hard to accurately say after one weekend, but my best guess is that we burned about 4 gal per hour when loaded down and surfing.

pdhj1990
06-09-2015, 08:59 PM
The 6.2L Ford Raptor motor ROCKS.

yz 2smoke
06-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Hard to accurately say after one weekend, but my best guess is that we burned about 4 gal per hour when loaded down and surfing.

Cool, we are ordering a SE 450 this week and was just curious how much fuel we would be going through. We sold our boat 4 weeks ago and we are about to go nuts not having a boat

wolfeman131
06-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Congrats on the new ride! How about posting up some pics?

yz 2smoke
06-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Thanks, I try to post a picture of the color scheme we are going with at work tomorrow. I can't seem to post a picture from my phone. I tried photo bucket too but that didn't seem to work either

mmandley
06-09-2015, 11:00 PM

I would have liked to see Idmar stay with the LS3 block making 450hp. The issue I think was we had 3 completely different engines, you had the Iron block 5.7 making 330-345hp depending on config, then LS3 making 450, and Caddy engine I think making the 550.

Indmar had no choice but to drop the Iron block because GM doesn't want to make it any longer. They want to focus on the LSx platform.

Personally I have no stake in the Raptor engine at this point, I am not a Fan of the engine in the Raptor truck, I think its too expensive of an engine to fix, I think the LSX power plant is a better platform and has been proven much longer, parts are cheaper and more plentiful.

Would I not buy a boat because the Raptor is in it? No I would still buy a new boat with the Raptor, but I think the longer term owners, after 5 years of warranty, are going to feel those repairs. Not a lot the average Joe can fix on those engines now. They are going to be very dealer dependent.

jmvotto
06-09-2015, 11:11 PM
Cool, we are ordering a SE 450 this week and was just curious how much fuel we would be going through. We sold our boat 4 weeks ago and we are about to go nuts not having a boat

Congrats! That boat is a beast, definately competes with the g series... Jealous button here

Davpmars
06-10-2015, 09:11 AM
I would have liked to see Idmar stay with the LS3 block making 450hp. The issue I think was we had 3 completely different engines, you had the Iron block 5.7 making 330-345hp depending on config, then LS3 making 450, and Caddy engine I think making the 550.

Indmar had no choice but to drop the Iron block because GM doesn't want to make it any longer. They want to focus on the LSx platform.

Personally I have no stake in the Raptor engine at this point, I am not a Fan of the engine in the Raptor truck, I think its too expensive of an engine to fix, I think the LSX power plant is a better platform and has been proven much longer, parts are cheaper and more plentiful.

Would I not buy a boat because the Raptor is in it? No I would still buy a new boat with the Raptor, but I think the longer term owners, after 5 years of warranty, are going to feel those repairs. Not a lot the average Joe can fix on those engines now. They are going to be very dealer dependent.

I like the idea that an engine has so much power and will have a better low RPM push for surfing. I assume that will play a large role in longevity of the engine given that it won't have to work so hard to get the same results as the smaller engines.

My fear of new engines is that after about five years you often find some sort of major dysfunction that requires repair. Not always but probably 50% of the time it seems.

zabooda
06-10-2015, 03:43 PM
I think engines will change enough that in five years there will be another engine to replace the Raptor. Nothing stays the same for very long and the automobile industry is getting quicker to change including what engines they manufacture.

Mike G
06-11-2015, 02:54 PM
We just purchased a 2015 Mojo with the 6.2L 400 Raptor engine in it and it is a beast. I tow slalom skiers, inertubes and everything in-between and this engine performs like a champ. The low end torque on this thing is incredible, very little strain on the engine when getting folks out of the water; granted we have only put on just a tad over 19 hours but so far I have absolutly nothing to complain about. Between the break in of the first 10 hours and the last 9 hours of towing/surfing I am using roughly 3.6 gallons of fuel per hour.

yz 2smoke
06-11-2015, 03:02 PM

This is the color combo we are going with. I can't wait to get it.

DaveM
06-11-2015, 08:39 PM
I've noticed a lot of dealers advertise the Raptor 400 as 400 HP. It's actually 350 HP, 400 lb.ft of torque. Similar HP to the 5.7 Surf engine. Could be misleading advertising though no big deal. It's all about torque to get things moving.