PDA

View Full Version : Lost my gas can filler neck

ranger098
06-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Adding some gas to my boat at the dock with my 5 gallon gas can... when the plastic filler neck pops off the can and slips into the filler hose of the boat. Shit. I look in the filler neck of the boat and i can see the tube in there, but the second i touch it it falls in and dissapears. NOOOOOO!

Is there a screen in the hose that goes to the tank, or is it wide open? I hate the idea of it just sitting somewhere in my boat, and want to get it out. Just trying to guage where to look first so i can do it quick and easy. Anyone had this happen before?

gregski
06-09-2015, 03:55 PM
I think the hose is "wide open" as you put it but it has to go through a bend which I'd guess will trap the filler neck. It probably wouldn't cause much trouble even if it got into the tank, other than having to get it out. Those hoses are pretty accessable and just use screw clamps. It probably wouldn't be too hard to get at but I wouldn't let it ruin your day if you don't have some tools with you. Deal with it tomorrow.

FYI, once I started using a shaker siphon hose (http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Specialty-Wonder-Pump-6-ft-Siphon-Hose-6-PMP6HD/203635079), I would never go back to pouring from gas cans.

zabooda
06-09-2015, 04:39 PM
There should be a bend of some sort to connect to the gas tank. Take a flex grabber, open it up and slowly go down and see if you can come across it. Remember the environment that you will be working in so sparkless tools are a must.