PDA

View Full Version : Need help on docking technics

Mart
06-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I have been reading all posts since less than a year.Thanks to all contributorsto this wealth of information.
I am a new owner of a Moomba LSV and new to the world of V-drives as well.

Love the boat but really need some advice on docking technics (before I end up in a divorce)

I have attached a small sketch of the situation.
There is space for two small boats between slips and the with of the channel between docks is about 30 ft.
I dock the boat on passenger side (green slip on my drawing).
I approach at about 3 MPH, turn left and then play with throttle between idle, fwd and reverse.

Basically, as I turn in, my boat always ends up with no power, tail slipping and perpendicular to the slip ! (my neighboring boat is not in yet for the season, luckily).

Need your help on docking tips.

thanks

Martin

mmandley
06-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Unfortunately you are asking for the hardest thing a V drive can do, turn left, and dock on Port side.

These boats are much better at Starboard docking due to steering and natural prop direction.

To get into that space you are going to need to come as close as you can to the lower side docks.

When you turn to get your boat to the dock you need several bumpers on your Port of course but to get it on the dock you need to keep the boat steering to the left, and when the nose gets close you actually need some one to hold the nose on the dock, slightly pushing off, you have to continue to drive forward and steering Right so the boat is pulling the nose off the dock, this is why someone needs to hold it. Steering RIGHT at this time will drive the rear of the boat into the dock. It might be easier if the person ties the boat to the dock so you can power in steering RIGHT.

Its not easy but this will get you into the space. Ideal would be to dock on your port, you would be able to drive in and reverse / forward to the dock.

sivs1
06-09-2015, 11:42 AM
My LSV turns to the right when in reverse. Could you turn around in the channel and try backing into the spot and then walk it in the rest of the way?

gregski
06-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Two things you need to consider:
1. Momentum - Always think about momentum. If the boat is traveling "east" at 3mph, then you turn to the north, your eastern momentum will continue and you will now be traveling north-east. This appears to be part of the problem.
2. Inboard boats have virtually no steering in reverse and handle a bit like jet-skis at very low speed in that you need a little bit of forward thrust/throttle to get much steering. (unlike a set ski, you can get a bit of drift steering but don't count on much). In reverse, the prevailing "steering" effect will be to the starboard/right due to the direction of the prop rotation. So when you couple this effect with #1 above, you are fighting a losing battle against physics and the fundamental handling of the boat.

It will take a little trial and error to figure out, but if it were me, I would probably try to come in at the 3mph, and use reverse to come to a stop before I tried to turn into the slip. I would try to overshoot the slip slightly so that you are stopped just beyond your slip. The bit of reverse to stop you will already start to rotate your boat counter-clockwise which will start to point you toward your slip. Then as you turn port/left your new "north-west" momentum will keep you headed for your side (opposite direction that you came from). Depending on how tight everything is, you may have to do a bunch of little tiny forward thrust with left steering, then reverse, and keep repeating to get your boat to rotate CCW in the channel before actually going into your slip.

Alternatively, if you have enough clearance with the other boats in slips, you might just have to drop a person with a dock line and let them pull you in. This may need to be your back up plan on windy days when it may be really difficult to handle.

trayson
06-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Damn. that's a tough one. Honestly, is there any chance you could swap spots with someone so you're docking on your starboard side? When the other boat does get there for the season, I'd seriously hit him up to switch with you. it might be no biggie to them if they have an I/O.

But yeah, it's possible. But you're in a challenging situation. Do you have a current to deal with, or are you on a lake?

gregski
06-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Oh, and as you are figuring out what works, I would want to have two other helpful people on board. Tell them that you are experimenting/learning and ask for their help and patience. Put one person up front and one on the swim deck or sun pad. Their job will be to use their hands or a foot to keep you off of any docks or other boats. Most other boat owners won't mind if you have to touch their boat with a hand if it means that you don't bump them with your boat. And knowing that you have a bit of help as a safety net if things don't go perfectly will help you keep calm.

trayson
06-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Just get about 10 Exile Bouy balls and line both sides of your boat with them. then play "bumper boats" and just bounce your way in!

Or get a batman style grappling hook gun!!!

spyder
06-09-2015, 12:30 PM
I dock with the dock on my right side. My technique is to pull in with a bit of the bow towards the dock. Go a little bit too forward and use reverse to pull my ass end in tight.

KG's Supra24
06-09-2015, 12:37 PM
I'd either back in .. if not on a lift. Or pass the stall, turn around and then pull in. That way you have the momentum to pull the back end into the dock on the passenger side.

If you don't love either option ... you will have to pivot in place before entering the stall; essentially get all the momentum out, then go straight forward into dock

trayson
06-09-2015, 12:42 PM
I dock with the dock on my right side. My technique is to pull in with a bit of the bow towards the dock. Go a little bit too forward and use reverse to pull my ass end in tight.

Yep, that's why most all of us like to dock on the starboard side. Why if it was me, I'd honestly pursue finding someone to swap with that has a slip with a spot on the starboard side.

rdlangston13
06-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Can you just nose up and drop someone off with a rope attached to the back and they can just pull the back in

Sent from my iPhone

zabooda
06-09-2015, 01:05 PM
You either square up with the dock which your channel is only five feet wider than the boat which is tough or back in. I would back in or swap a spot. Over time, landing a boat on either side is easy but requires two different techniques.

csm
06-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Can you just nose up and drop someone off with a rope attached to the back and they can just pull the back in

Sent from my iPhone

This is what we do for port side docking, which only happens as a last resort. We also carry one of the telescoping poles that grabs a cleat, which might be helpful.

wolfeman131
06-09-2015, 02:17 PM
get one of these:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Floating-Telescoping-Boat-Hook&i=38798

promo code JUNE10 gets you 10% off and free shipping

KG's Supra24
06-09-2015, 02:27 PM
get one of these:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Floating-Telescoping-Boat-Hook&i=38798

promo code JUNE10 gets you 10% off and free shipping

Good thing you have large storage compartments ... so you can hide that rookie stick!

wolfeman131
06-09-2015, 02:33 PM
using that "rookie stick" doesn't bother me nearly as much as scratches in the gel would.

Mart
06-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the tips !
You are probably right that getting another slip which would allow me to dock on startboard would be the best long term solution.
Docking in reverse is also another option however the channel between docks is pretty narrow. It takes be a few bumps fwd and backward when leaving the dock to make the 90 deg turn.

We have the rookie stick and been using it everytime.

thanks

Mart

parrothd
06-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Just takes a lot of practice, pick some reference points, ie, cut the throttle coming into the dock area, before the slip implement a turn making the boat drift sideways. My slip is on starboard however i a had a huge pontoon boat earlier this year. Means I had to come in hot, spin 90, let it drift sideways to line up then gun it..

spyder
06-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Just takes a lot of practice, pick some reference points, ie, cut the throttle coming into the dock area, before the slip implement a turn making the boat drift sideways. My slip is on starboard however i a had a huge pontoon boat earlier this year. Means I had to come in hot, spin 90, let it drift sideways to line up then gun it..

my favourite is fighting with crosswinds while docking.... lol

c h r i s
06-11-2015, 05:17 PM
What is this rookie stick you speak of and where can I get one? My recent transition from an I/O has been hell on my nerves.

c h r i s
06-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Sorry, just saw Wolfemans link.

CamperCarl
06-12-2015, 11:29 AM
That is a tough situation for all direct drives. I still get my fair share of looks at the dock ramp. I had been in your situation not long ago. I ended up using the "Spring Line" docking technique to pull my a$$ end in the slip. If you do a YouTube search for it, there are plenty of videos. Again this is assuming you have additional people in the boat to rig the dock line.

Not sure if this is the type of solution you were looking for.