PDA

View Full Version : 98 Moomba Outback been sitting for 3 years

ddauer12
06-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Hey guys, Im new to the site. Thanks for having me. I have a 98 Moomba outback been sitting for 3/4 years. I got it from my co-worker they didnt have time to use it anymore. I'd like to get it back up and running. He said the last time he used it he noticed a blueish/white smoke hes not sure if something got stuck while he was sitting in idle. He said he loaded it back up on the trailer and that was the last time he used it. Asking if anybody may have an idea what it could be? Also what would you recommend replacing after sitting for a few years? any help would be great. Thanks

kaneboats
06-08-2015, 10:48 AM
I would change all the fluids and the impeller, hook up a water (cooling) source, charge the battery and see what you get. Without coolant supplied the impeller will smoke kind of blue. Replace it anyway.

ddauer12
06-08-2015, 10:56 AM
awesome! thanks for the info. The impeller (the small) black rubber impeller i believe right? Pretty new to the moomba series.

kaneboats
06-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Yes, the one for a Johnson pump. I think it is the same on yours. My 2000 Outback used the same one as my 2008 LSV.

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=276

ddauer12
06-08-2015, 11:12 AM
cool. Yeah it still has a full tank of gas in it. Im pretty sure that gas is bad after sitting for 3 years. not sure what to do with it?

kaneboats
06-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Siphon it out and take it to a recycler place.

ddauer12
06-08-2015, 11:49 AM
what oil and filter would you recommend? and spark plugs? I wanna make sure i get everything right. I was trying to look for the owners manual through moomba and could not find anything

kaneboats
06-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Yea, the owners manuals on this page only go back to 2000.

http://www.moomba.com/archive/14-mojo-25

You can try to pm zabooda. I think he has a '98.

liquid_acid
06-08-2015, 03:07 PM
PM me your email address and I'll send you the manual for a 98' outback.
I had a similar issue with the smoke. Turned out the carb float was stuck and was dumping way too much fuel at idle. Might be time for a carb rebuild as well.

ddauer12
06-08-2015, 03:14 PM
just PM you. Thank you! I havent gotten a chance to look at the carb yet. But i will take a look at it now

liquid_acid
06-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Just sent you an email. Hope that helps.

zabooda
06-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Ah, another fellow 98er. Not many of us around. Do you have the Pleasurecraft or Indmar engine? I'd recommend replacing the impeller and Skidim will hook you up with the right one. I would pump the old gas out by removing the gas line at the carb, jumper the fuel pump and run the gas into a can until the tank is empty. I would flush with a couple of gallons of fresh gas and pump that through the line. Then I would replace the gas filter. Reconnect the gas line and add 10 gallons of gas with Seafoam (cleaner) to the tank. Install the impeller and hook a fake-a-lake to the water intake and turn on the water. Set the shifter neutral interlock and turn the engine over while pumping the throttle big time. When it starts bring the throttle back to a fast idle and check the exhaust ports for warm water within a minute. Spray the carb with a carb cleaner and shut off the engine after it has warmed up. If you are satisfied with the engine operation, then change the engine oil using the drain hose through the boat hull drain (takes a while), change the tranny fluid, replace spark plugs and cap. Check the trailer tires for dry rot, air up the tires and check the wheel hubs for grease. Take the boat to the water and run the Seafoam treated gas through the system. With the boat off the trailer, check the condition of the carpeted bunks. While on the water, check the bilge for water that may indicate attention is needed for the shaft packing. That may be a good time to check the condition of the bilge pump as those have been known to fail in place.

Hope it all works out.

ddauer12
06-11-2015, 09:34 AM
awesome! Thank you!! yeah im gonna tackle it today and tomorrow! hopefully get in on the water by tomorrow (friday), and I have the Indmar motor!

ddauer12
06-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Just gotta find the right gas filter for the motor