PDA

View Full Version : Changing impeller

Mcdonas
06-07-2015, 06:07 AM
Any tricks in changing the impeller on 2014 Mojo. I would like to do it myself but can't find any instruction on how to do it. Im assuming just take the bolts off and take the old one out and replace with new one??

lee
06-07-2015, 06:47 AM
That is all but the old one will be tight. Take the cover off and squirt some dish soap on the impeller and bump the engine over and that will make it easier.

mmandley
06-07-2015, 08:40 AM
I found mine to be a royal PITA because they have the muffler in the way and with the engine sitting so low in the engine bay your reaching for it.

I ended up buying my Impeller online, had the dealer put it in for 40 bucks.

moombadaze
06-07-2015, 08:48 AM
just did mine last night, 33 minutes start to finish with getting back out of the boat for tools twice. I found the hardest to just get the old one out, had to remove a black board above the muffler and then lay on my head basically and reach around the muffler with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull like heck on it to get if free. those bolts don't have be retighten to much

kaneboats
06-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Just went through this kind of thing while servicing the tranny on my "new" 2008 Suburban. The pan would not clear the Xover exhaust pipe. Had to take the two mounting bolts out of the back end of the transmission and raise it with a floor jack to get clearance to get the pan out. That was a scary few minutes when I had all the pan bolts out and dirt and crap was falling into the pan but I couldn't get it out. This thing may have been engineered by the Germans.

Mcdonas
06-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys. It does seem that its a little tight getting to and I heard that it was hard to get the old one out. I went to West Marine to get replacement. He looked up part but wasn't sure on the width. He had one that is about 11/4 in wide. Does that seem too be the one or would it be a wider impeller?

bergermaister
06-08-2015, 01:30 AM
When in doubt, pull the old and bring it with you.

Surprised no one has mentioned spraying some silicon or WD40 inside, bump the starter a few times, then pop the impeller out. Seems to help each time I've wrangled with one.

On a good day it's a one beer job. Or in Mikes case 3, but all in the same timeframe.

mcdye
06-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned spraying some silicon or WD40 inside, bump the starter a few times, then pop the impeller out. Seems to help each time I've wrangled with one.

I don't even try to pull it out until I do the above, I do pull the coil wire just in case to ensure the motor does not start. I change mine from the port side laying on my side in the rear compartment using 2 paint can openers.