PDA

View Full Version : Homemade surf rack

996scott
06-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Well i just finished making a surf rack to go on top of the tower. I've seen a few different versions around but i wasn't about to pay several hundred dollars for one so i figured i would try my own. A friend has a shop with every imaginable tool so we bought a 2.5inch wide piece of aluminum that is 3/8 inch think and did the fabricating. I bought the tower clamps and some fabric and sewed the pad covers. This was the prototype and we made some mistakes and learned a lot so the next one will be even better. I just mounted it up and will give it a try next week as we head to Powell and report back.2218122182

kaneboats
06-06-2015, 12:14 AM
I'm just glad you have a friend who will let you manipulate his imaginable tool so you can get results like this. :cool: In all seriousness though, this really looks promising. This could be the prototype we are all looking for. I have more boards every year and just run out of storage. Worried about sun exposure up top but that can be remedied too. Nice work.

spyder
06-08-2015, 10:16 PM
looks awesome

viking
06-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Great Work. I think you might be on to something that can make you some $$ on this forum :)

muehlcj
06-09-2015, 06:14 AM
Looks awesome. Let us know if you plan to make any more.

spyder
06-09-2015, 08:18 AM
I may be interested if you make a limited run

liquid_acid
06-09-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm interested as well. Been looking for one of these for a reasonable price. Looks just like the agenda surf overhead surf rack. Great job.

trayson
06-09-2015, 11:23 AM
This could be the prototype we are all looking for.

It's not his idea. He just leveraged Corson Piper's idea off wakeworld.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798147

Great Work. I think you might be on to something that can make you some $$ on this forum :)

I may be interested if you make a limited run

I'm interested as well. Been looking for one of these for a reasonable price. Looks just like the agenda surf overhead surf rack. Great job.

^^^^ This.

Of course guys it looks just like the Agenda Racks, because that's what he used. I think it's RAD that he made himself a fantastic rack. I'd been thinking about making my own version for quite a while. But I don't think it's cool for him to start making them for others and making money for copying someone else's design. Maybe I'm being overzealous, but it's one thing for personal use, another to start making them for others...

That said, 996scott, you did an awesome job and they turned out great. What lessons did you learn? What would you do different next time?

liquid_acid
06-09-2015, 11:33 AM
I agree with you but at the same time, someone is going to do it regardless. iE corson piper

mmandley
06-09-2015, 11:34 AM

^^^^ This.

Of course guys it looks just like the Agenda Racks, because that's what he used. I think it's RAD that he made himself a fantastic rack. I'd been thinking about making my own version for quite a while. But I don't think it's cool for him to start making them for others and making money for copying someone else's design. Maybe I'm being overzealous, but it's one thing for personal use, another to start making them for others...

That said, 996scott, you did an awesome job and they turned out great. What lessons did you learn? What would you do different next time?

I understand your point, but unless something is Patent or Copy Right its not illegal to copy and make money.

I think your looking too fare into this friend, Its a great item a lot of people could use, and I don't see a problem if he makes them and sells them for what he feels is a fair price. Now if he went to national advertising or something like that, he might run into some trouble.

I for one would want one if I could actually mount it. My tower is full on the bottom, bimini on the top, but I could use a slightly larger rack on the side for a couple newer fatter boards i just got LOL.

trayson
06-09-2015, 11:45 AM
I agree with you but at the same time, someone is going to do it regardless. iE corson piper

Well, of course corson is going to do it, LOL! He is the one that came up with the idea. And he must have done allright hopefully by selling his idea to Agenda; so maybe he's cashed out.

I guess if they didn't patent it, then it's fair game. Of course, we do live in a world where everyone "leverages" everyone else's ideas, so what do ya do...

Just kinda thinking out loud really.

liquid_acid
06-09-2015, 11:48 AM
I wasn't aware he was doing it before or sold the idea to agenda. I just thought he took the idea and was fabricating the racks as well. My bad.

sivs1
06-09-2015, 11:51 AM
I've been thinking about something like this, especially as I acquire more boards. My Bimini goes over the top of my tower and sits pretty snug. I'm guess I would have to have something on top of that or under?

trayson
06-09-2015, 11:52 AM
I wasn't aware he was doing it before or sold the idea to agenda. I just thought he took the idea and was fabricating the racks as well. My bad.

Yeah, basically he was a guy on Wakeworld that came up with a cool idea. started selling them on wakeworld. Then it took off enough that agenda took the concept and became the distributor. that's the back story. I always like it when someone comes up with a cool idea and makes it a go. :-)

I'm not vested in this at all. Honestly, I was going to copy Corson's idea myself but once I got the new boat with the cargo bimini, I really didn't need to.

spyder
06-09-2015, 12:12 PM

^^^^ This.

Of course not everyone has a CNC machine :)

viking
06-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Don't know why u got all butt hurt Trayson. He never even said he was going to do more of them. A few of us just eluded to the fact that he could if he wanted. I'd imagine he's busy trying to get on the water like the rest of us this summer and the suggestions were more along the lines of it being more of a hobby to build a few in the winter for a couple members and make a little side money if one really desired. The majority of the mods done on here by members is a copycat of sorts to save some coin.
Another thread de-railed.............

Awesome Work 996Scott. Enjoy it and keep us posted on your reviews after use.

trayson
06-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Don't know why u got all butt hurt Trayson. He never even said he was going to do more of them. A few of us just eluded to the fact that he could if he wanted. I'd imagine he's busy trying to get on the water like the rest of us this summer and the suggestions were more along the lines of it being more of a hobby to build a few in the winter for a couple members and make a little side money if one really desired. The majority of the mods done on here by members is a copycat of sorts to save some coin.
Another thread de-railed.............

Awesome Work 996Scott. Enjoy it and keep us posted on your reviews after use.

I think your assessment of my level of butthurtness is a little exaggerated. :-)

All I think is that it's nice for people to give credit where credit is due. And for those people that are the innovators to get the credit they deserve. That's not that hard is it?

Maybe I just liked it when the 'little guy' on wakeworld came up with a rad idea and it was successful. I think he should get the props.

But Mike and others are right. No patent, then there's nothing legally stopping him or anyone else. But hey, at least give the innovator a nod of acknowledgement, right???

gregski
06-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Well i just finished making a surf rack to go on top of the tower. I've seen a few different versions around but i wasn't about to pay several hundred dollars for one so i figured i would try my own. A friend has a shop with every imaginable tool so we bought a 2.5inch wide piece of aluminum that is 3/8 inch think and did the fabricating. I bought the tower clamps and some fabric and sewed the pad covers. This was the prototype and we made some mistakes and learned a lot so the next one will be even better. I just mounted it up and will give it a try next week as we head to Powell and report back.2218122182
Would you mind sharing your investment/cost? I looked at doing this same thing, working off of the idea from Corson Piper but as much as I didn't want to pay $300 for a finished product, I couldn't find materials and pay a shop for much less. If you have a "free" machine shop, that would be a different story. Basically, the idea of me playing and creating it on my own to only save $100 or less got nixed.

kaneboats
06-09-2015, 02:54 PM
So this Corson guy must have been around in the 60's when these kind of racks were showing up on VW vans. Or in the 40's when the put them on the woody wagons. Give me a break. Anybody can make a surf rack or a wakeboard rack or a meat rack.

trayson
06-09-2015, 03:04 PM
So this Corson guy must have been around in the 60's when these kind of racks were showing up on VW vans. Or in the 40's when the put them on the woody wagons. Give me a break. Anybody can make a surf rack or a wakeboard rack or a meat rack.

Obviously you don't get it.

I don't think someone was putting this on the top of their woody. Obviously you can't see the difference.

http://agendasurf.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/4/14_rack_kit.jpg

spyder
06-09-2015, 03:06 PM

I don't think someone was putting this on the top of their woody. Obviously you can't see the difference.

http://agendasurf.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/4/14_rack_kit.jpg

if it's so popular or not to be copied why did they cease carrying them? (honest question, not trying to troll) or is it just currently sold out?

gregski
06-09-2015, 03:09 PM
if it's so popular or not to be copied why did they cease carrying them? (honest question, not trying to troll) or is it just currently sold out?
Probably sold out. The market is just so limited. I contacted them last year and basically they make a run of parts and sell them for awhile until they need to make another batch, which often causes gaps in supply.

trayson
06-09-2015, 03:15 PM
I just went on their website and clicked through and it shows "in stock". I was able to add a couple racks to my shopping cart and it let me.

Probably sold out. The market is just so limited. I contacted them last year and basically they make a run of parts and sell them for awhile until they need to make another batch, which often causes gaps in supply.
^^makes perfect sense. who wants inventory laying around. I'm sure it doesn't take long to machine them, so they'd be good to make them somewhat on demand.

996scott
06-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Ok, so after seeing the Agenda rack and another one that is no longer made (think it was called Endless Rack or something like that) I just thought to myself I would like to have something like that but not for that kind of $. I showed it to my buddy and we both thought it would be easy to do something like that with his tools and for a lot less $. He has an aluminum shop next to his so he bought a piece of aluminum and we used his tools to do the cutting and drilling. I bought some cheap tube pipe insulation at Home Depot to go over the cross bar and then bought some canvas fabric and sewed the cover for it (believe me my sewing skills suck big time but I want to try it). I also went to the local outdoor/camping store and bought a length of cord and that's it. Oh, I did have to buy two clamps from DYI wake. The clamps cost $60, the metal and all other materials was about $40 so I was into it about $100 plus my time. BELIEVE ME, I am not giving up my day job to build these, it was just something I thought would be fun to give a try and it turned out great. This is not professionally done, this was made by hand so I would never try producing these and try and pass them off as top of the line racks. I will probably end up making a few more at some point for a neighbor or two who have said they might want one. So IF I make a few more and IF someone (neighbor or on this board)wanted one I would probably do if for fun and to help out someone. Anyway, this was just for fun and not for business. :D If you have any questions on how I made it let me know, otherwise I am heading to Powell in a few days and will see how it holds up.

trayson
06-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Sorry for the thread derailment Scott. I guess I got a little over-excited feeling like someone had to point out the source when it seemed like some people were assuming the contrary. I guess in the end, it doesn't matter. So sorry about that.

They turned out great. Seems like you wouldn't really need to make the grooves down the center if you're doing a 1 off as you'd just need to drill a hole where the clamp bolt was and mount. No adjustability is really needed, right?

996scott
06-09-2015, 05:30 PM
No offense taken, it's all good. As far as the adjustability goes, no I really would just need to figure out where I wanted it mounted and drill the two holes. Not knowing how far forward or back I wanted it, I decided to put the grooves so I could mess around with it and see what works best for my boat. If i make another one for my boat i would probably just do the two holes.

gregski
06-09-2015, 05:44 PM
For the pads, I was looking at these Dakine surf block pads (http://www.amazon.com/DaKine-Aero-Rack-Pads-Black/dp/B001UB0UMG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_468_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CT8V86DPWH2AYTBB177) They are $25 but it seemed worth the cost of the sewing project.

trayson
06-09-2015, 05:47 PM
For the pads, I was looking at these Dakine surf block pads (http://www.amazon.com/DaKine-Aero-Rack-Pads-Black/dp/B001UB0UMG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_468_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CT8V86DPWH2AYTBB177) They are $25 but it seemed worth the cost of the sewing project.

$18 shipped on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surfboard-Roof-Rack-Pad-19-for-Funboard-Mini-Malibu-Longboard-Stand-Up-SUP-/191583983437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9b4b974d

996scott
06-09-2015, 08:51 PM
I saw the Dakine pads and thought about buying them but I decided to go the cheap route and the pad I bought was about $1 and a whole yard of the canvas which will make about 6 or so covers was only $9. I also had some leftover hydroturf I thought of using as well. It would be A LOT easier to just put on the hydroturf than sew the covers.

MJHSupra
06-09-2015, 09:07 PM

On the right-side of the pic - does anyone know what that pull-loop is used for?
Is that attached to the bungee cord for easy of unhooking the cord?

M-

996scott
06-09-2015, 11:05 PM
yea, it makes stretching it on and off a lot easier and you don't have to get your fingers pinched. They work great.

liquid_acid
07-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Well I contacted agenda in regards to the overhead rack. Looks like it is discontinued until 2016 where they are going to release a new version.
Might be time to look at making one.

JoelFett
07-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Made myself one for the old malibu.

Worked so well I had to sell it and buy a new Moomba. Same concept, Home Depot special, $27.55 total