PDA

View Full Version : Making a windscreen, need help

ranger098
06-05-2015, 11:50 AM
My gf is quite the seamstress (lucky me) and is designing a windscreen for the boat. I'm wondering where we should put snaps? My original thought was 2 on the windshield, 2 on the floor, and 3 on each side. But I was wondering what others have done, or what it's like from the factory (if they make these)??

Any advice and / or pics would be appreciated

gregski
06-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Probably a bit different on the '02, but on our '07, they had installed snaps on the bottom rail of hinged windshield. I figured they do this on all windshields for ease of manufacturing and then only add snaps around the bow for the cover if it's ordered (we don't have any other snaps). In any case, we used those two snaps to secure the top and sewed loops along the length of the top and bottom to hold some short tension type curtain rods. This has worked well for us but the bottom tension rod doesn't hold up over about 25mph without a cooler or bag on the floor to help. We've thought about additional snaps, velcro, or a tab that could be held by closing it in the locker door. At this point, it works about 95% and we haven't got back to finish it up. - not perfect, but good enough for now. We love having it and like this solution over the solid panels that many on here have made because it rolls up into a tiny little roll.

jmvotto
06-05-2015, 02:08 PM
we did canvas wind block, snap to window and sides three across top and two down the sides close to the floor, no need for floor snaps to cut your feet on

it worked great.

ranger098
06-05-2015, 02:13 PM
we did canvas wind block, snap to window and sides three across top and two down the sides close to the floor, no need for floor snaps to cut your feet on

it worked great.

This is my thought now, no snaps on the floor. how many did you use up the sides and top? I dont want to few, letting wind sneak by, but dont want too many where its a PITA to put up cuz your snapping so much. I was thinking 3 on top and 3 down the sides....

gregski
06-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Imagine my setup with no snaps on the sides, or just one at each bottom corner and it works fine for blocking the wind. Yes, some "leaks" by but it's not noticeable beyond what you would get just by nature of not having a roof. I don't think you need to go overkill. I'd be tempted to just put one at the bottom and then add one more in the middle if you really need it. It's easy to start with too few... you can't easily un-drill the fiberglass.

jmvotto
06-05-2015, 03:09 PM
This is my thought now, no snaps on the floor. how many did you use up the sides and top? I dont want to few, letting wind sneak by, but dont want too many where its a PITA to put up cuz your snapping so much. I was thinking 3 on top and 3 down the sides....

only two down the sides, the three across the top will give you the top corners, middle and bottom on the side walls.

trayson
06-05-2015, 05:22 PM
My Supra had a playpen bow, so the windscreen was made of vinyl and had 3 snaps on the bottom of the windshield and I think 3 down each side. it worked great. And it was small and took up no storage space. I don't have any pics of it installed, but it's pretty easy to imagine.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GzCR4qUVZ7w/UVO5Yte-5fI/AAAAAAAAQRE/ZHhonA07Dq0/s800/photo%252520%2525283%252529.jpg

On my XLV, I also have the playpen bow and simply flip up the chillax seat(s) on the walkthrough seating and that is "good enough" so I haven't messed with a windscreen. it doesn't block all of it, but gets enough that it's not worth making something else.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cjgYkJ1mX54/VEVgyVWdf9I/AAAAAAAAUtc/uQDvE2dbR3g/s800/GOPR1320.JPG

mmandley
06-05-2015, 11:26 PM
My gf is quite the seamstress (lucky me) and is designing a windscreen for the boat. I'm wondering where we should put snaps? My original thought was 2 on the windshield, 2 on the floor, and 3 on each side. But I was wondering what others have done, or what it's like from the factory (if they make these)??

Any advice and / or pics would be appreciated

I think best choice would be Snaps in the center section of the walk through, you won't need anything on the floor, its low enough wind won't come through too much.

I would make the top a little long like a flap, then use really strong velcro. It glues to the windshield, no risk in breaking anything drilling snaps in.

kaneboats
06-05-2015, 11:43 PM
This may help too:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24254-Bow-Close-Off&highlight=wind+screen

ranger098
06-08-2015, 02:01 PM
This may help too:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24254-Bow-Close-Off&highlight=wind+screen

Wow that is a great thread. Id love to have a hard drop in screen but i think that finding the right track to hold it in place would be pretty tough, maybe ill keep an eye out for something like that when im at the hardware stores.

Thanks all for the advice, was too busy riding all weekend to finish it but ill throw up some pics soon!

trayson
06-08-2015, 02:12 PM
I have friends with hard windscreens in their boats. the problem is where to put it when not in use. The vinyl would just fold up and out of the way.

gregski
06-08-2015, 02:39 PM
I have friends with hard windscreens in their boats. the problem is where to put it when not in use. The vinyl would just fold up and out of the way.
Ditto. I wanted to go with hard panel but storage was the problem so we figured out the vinyl method and love it.