PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wetsounds EQ

ninedriver
06-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Hello,
I'm looking for a ws420SQ or 420BT. Anyone know where I might could find a deal on one?

Thanks.

MLA
06-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Never hurts to start with a local Wet Sounds dealer. They will be a front line for install, setup and tuning assistance. If you do not have one you want to work with, contact Earmark Marine. They are an authorized Wet Sounds internet dealer and will offer quality support after the sale.

trayson
06-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Best deals I've seen are on Ebay. Of course that's unlikely to be "authorized dealers" and what not.

Or Jonny B from the Supra forums might be worth a shot. here is his company:
https://www.facebook.com/Proinstallzmobilemarine

viking
06-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Odin at Earmark is a great guy and knows his stuff!

mcdye
06-04-2015, 08:17 AM
I have the SQ and thought about selling to get the BT... IMO the BT is the way to go unless the head unit is BT

KG's Supra24
06-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Mcdye, I think you can buy the standalone BT piece for the same price as the BT unit?

Agree with Viking, call Odin and mention the forum discount. He will likely have it shipped out the same day.

New Guy
06-04-2015, 09:39 AM
For you guys looking at bluetooth let me give you a little advice. The last two installs I did on a 420bt the bluetooth gain was significantly lower on my phone then the headphone jack. In other words I tried to tune the amps to the bluetooth but when using a aux cord or the radio the gains were way to high. I went internally in the 420 to turn down the main and aux gains to match the BT but then my amp gains were way too high creating noise. After speaking with Odin, he advised to use an external BT unit (WS or even Exile) and a line driver to match my aux and main gains.

KG's Supra24
06-04-2015, 09:42 AM
What do you mean by a line driver?

Are you recommending going external bluetooth into the WS420?

David Analog
06-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Talk to Odin about the Wetsounds EQ combined with the JL Audio Bluetooth receiver module. The JL Audio BT unit (only $39) is 4.0 and has a 2 volt output. Best in both products.

KG's Supra24
06-04-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm pretty sure I got a JL 3.0 version a week before they got the 4.0 version :mad:

viking
06-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Mcdye, I think you can buy the standalone BT piece for the same price as the BT unit?

That's why I went with the 420EQ along with the additional BT receiver instead of the 420BT version. Heard of issues with the bluetooth built in unit!

MLA
06-04-2015, 10:33 AM
I have not experienced any issues with the integrated 420BT, but tuning to achieve balance is certainly different then with the 420SQ and external BT. I would hope this would be an expectation, rather then a surprise, for the installer. There are two different inputs, each with their own gain structure.

David Analog
06-04-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm pretty sure I got a JL 3.0 version a week before they got the 4.0 version :mad:

If you got the JL Audio Bluetooth model # MBT-RX, then you received the 4.0 version, which has been shipping since Spring. JL Audio was slow to correct their website info, thus many dealers had the incorrect product description and specifications. I checked, and at this time both the JL Audio and Earmark Marine website are displaying the correct info.

David Analog
06-04-2015, 11:00 AM
I have not experienced any issues with the integrated 420BT, but tuning to achieve balance is certainly different then with the 420SQ and external BT. I would hope this would be an expectation, rather then a surprise, for the installer. There are two different inputs, each with their own gain structure.

Well said MLA.

On the other note, the WS EQ w/ BT has the antenna built into the face panel so it is not actually within the chassis. BT is an RF transmission so it can be affected by low mounting, engine blocks, other metal structures, and can be somewhat directional in certain applications. If both the installer and user fully understand BT and RF transmission/reception in general, then there should not be issues.

trayson
06-04-2015, 12:09 PM
If you got the JL Audio Bluetooth model # MBT-RX, then you received the 4.0 version, which has been shipping since Spring. JL Audio was slow to correct their website info, thus many dealers had the incorrect product description and specifications. I checked, and at this time both the JL Audio and Earmark Marine website are displaying the correct info.

Does this one have the 4.0 or the 3.0 like the description says?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_93387_JL-Audio-MBT-RX.html

KG's Supra24
06-04-2015, 12:24 PM

Just buy from Odin .... where it's cheaper ... and you are sure to get the 4.0

David Analog
06-04-2015, 12:24 PM

That is the 4.0 unit. Just old info.
However, keep in mind that the full 4.0 function doesn't work with many phones or any iphone product at this time. With an iphone you are still in the realm of 3.0. Still works fine. Is there an audible difference? Likely not when underway at speed with wind and motor noise. And a lot depends on the quality of your original files.

IMPORTANT: I know it may just be an example, but Sonic Electronix is ""NOT"" a JL Audio dealer. No warranty. Every JL Audio dealer in the land sells that piece for the same $39 price.

trayson
06-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Just buy from Odin .... where it's cheaper ... and you are sure to get the 4.0

I looked at it there. $40 + $15 shipping. Shipping kills it for me there.

Sonix has it for the same $40, but if I throw something in the cart to make the order $50 or more, I get free shipping. Still not enough to make me throw down...

That is the 4.0 unit. Just old info.
However, keep in mind that the full 4.0 function doesn't work with many phones or any iphone product at this time. With an iphone you are still in the realm of 3.0. Still works fine. Is there an audible difference? Likely not when underway at speed with wind and motor noise. And a lot depends on the quality of your original files.

IMPORTANT: I know it may just be an example, but Sonic Electronix is ""NOT"" a JL Audio dealer. No warranty. Every JL Audio dealer in the land sells that piece for the same $39 price.

Sounds like I need to find a JL dealer that's local, or one with free shipping then... (if that exists)

KG's Supra24
06-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Audio Source, Stereo King, Audio Express, Car Toys, Hear no Evil, Audiofiles, Thunder Auto Sound

Hopefully you have rides with good MPG's and you drive there for less than the $11. (15-10% forum dicount) ... but you are gonna pay tax on it when you drive there to buy it so approx $5 savings before fuel factor ...... big decisions.

David Analog
06-04-2015, 01:25 PM
I looked at it there. $40 + $15 shipping. Shipping kills it for me there.

Sonix has it for the same $40, but if I throw something in the cart to make the order $50 or more, I get free shipping. Still not enough to make me throw down...

Sounds like I need to find a JL dealer that's local, or one with free shipping then... (if that exists)

Never overlook those progressive forum, zone and system package discounts. No tax and a forum single item discount negates the shipping. Or, there's bound to be a drive by dealer. Same difference.

KG's Supra24
06-04-2015, 01:29 PM
What was decision on ultimate wiring?

If you are tuned for Bluetooth you won't be tuned for aux headphone input? No way around it?

trayson
06-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Audio Source, Stereo King, Audio Express, Car Toys, Hear no Evil, Audiofiles, Thunder Auto Sound

Hopefully you have rides with good MPG's and you drive there for less than the $11. (15-10% forum dicount) ... but you are gonna pay tax on it when you drive there to buy it so approx $5 savings before fuel factor ...... big decisions.

I'm a CPA, you shouldn't be surprised! LOL. (Don't you know that CPA stands for "cheapest person alive"?)

I was hoping Car Toys would have it because that's maybe 2 miles from me and in Portland so no sales tax, but I called my local Car Toys and gave them the part number and they don't have it in their system to get.

Likewise, the Audio Source listed above is on my way home from work and isn't going out of my way (but does have sales tax) and they didn't have it in their JL Audio catalog.

Really weird, it's like it's a phantom product...

Yeah, might just be worth talking to earmark.

We'll see. not even 100% sure I need to mess with the BT.

New Guy
06-04-2015, 04:20 PM
What was decision on ultimate wiring?

If you are tuned for Bluetooth you won't be tuned for aux headphone input? No way around it?

Because I am not the end user and I was afraid of someone grabbing a fist full of volume when plugged into aux I decided to tune it that way. If it was my own I might think differently about it. Actually if doing it again I would by a non BT unit and add it in through the aux to be able to more accurately tune it.

KG's Supra24
06-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Actually if doing it again I would by a non BT unit and add it in through the aux to be able to more accurately tune it.

I guess that's my question ... does that solve the problem? There are two aux inputs on the 420 ... If I have a 3.5mm plug in one and an external BT in the other ... am I tuned for both at the amps or do I still have the same problem you are facing?

...... I suppose I could just go wire my JL and find out, huh

New Guy
06-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Are you using the main input?

KG's Supra24
06-04-2015, 05:34 PM
I'll have to look ... right now I have an HSE running into one input and I think a 3.5mm running into the other of the EQ

My plan is to put the JL bluetooth module on the HSE aux. Then the HSE runs to the EQ, which then runs to amps.

The other input on the HSE is the head unit. I'll probably be putting a 3.5mm (just in case) on either the HSE or the EQ, likely EQ since the head unit is already ran to the HSE.

I'll be adding the JL unit soon ... will report back.

David Analog
06-04-2015, 07:37 PM
I'll have to look ... right now I have an HSE running into one input and I think a 3.5mm running into the other of the EQ

My plan is to put the JL bluetooth module on the HSE aux. Then the HSE runs to the EQ, which then runs to amps.

The other input on the HSE is the head unit. I'll probably be putting a 3.5mm (just in case) on either the HSE or the EQ, likely EQ since the head unit is already ran to the HSE.

I'll be adding the JL unit soon ... will report back.

It would be nice to have all sources running through the HSE.
The HSE has a nice size internal line driver with good voltage.
The JL Audio BT receiver is over 2 volts output with a full BT signal strength so it probably has a similar voltage level to your HU, although ultimately dependent on the BT source level.
The JL Audio CL-SEC would allow up to three independent sources feeding into the HSE and would allow gain balancing before the HSE and EQ.