PDA

View Full Version : Reversible Pump breaker?

csm
06-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Hey guys - 2013 LSV - reversible Jabsco pumps.... Today, all of the sudden, my center ballast won't fill or drain. It doesn't even make a noise. V-drive ballast pumps work fine, so it's just the one. I took off the back panel on the port side to access the pumps, and didn't see any breakers. Are there individual breakers for each pump? Or did my pump just likely go bad? I checked all of the connections and everything seemed fine. Not really sure where to go next so any tips would be appreciated!

mmandley
06-04-2015, 01:55 AM
Look in the engine bay, on the Port side if I recall there is a set of breakers for the pump.

moombadaze
06-04-2015, 07:44 AM
Dnt think its a breaker as there is only one for all the pumps and it is tied into the trim plate. Try unplugging 2 pumps and replug the bad one into one that works, if it still does not work then you have a bad pump, if I t works then itsin the switch or in the wire harness

Fastest1
06-04-2015, 08:23 AM
On my 2008 Outback DD there is an odd fuse holder near the electronics on the transmission. It contains 3 automotive fuses. Could it be one of those?
I found them during my reconnaissance of my new boat. Not sure what they are for. I was just cleaning and using dielectric grease on every fitting or plug I could find.

csm
06-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Dnt think its a breaker as there is only one for all the pumps and it is tied into the trim plate. Try unplugging 2 pumps and replug the bad one into one that works, if it still does not work then you have a bad pump, if I t works then itsin the switch or in the wire harness

Thanks Daze - I switched around the plugs. The other two pumps still work when plugged into the power source that the center bag was plugged into... The center/IBS pump doesn't work no matter what.... I tried tapping the pump to get it going, and also turned the impeller by hand, but no luck... Guess it's a new pump for me! Thanks for the help.

csm
06-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Still having issues with this... hoping someone with more ballast/electrical experience has seen this..

I took out the old Jabsco, and it was pretty apparant that a seal leaked into the motor housing (why does factory install these with the impellar side up!!!???). Anyway, I ordered a Wakemakers reversible pump. The deutsch connector is smaller, so I spliced the old connector.

My problem is I can only get the pump to work sporadically. We were out last night, and I had to flip the switch up to 20 times to get it to run... I tried getting on plane, sitting still with engine running, no other ballast pumps running etc... Finally got it to fill, and it seemed to be working fine... When we were finished boarding, it took a good 10 minutes to finally get the pump to run to empty the IBS/center tank.

I thought maybe the deutsch was corroded/dirty, so today I butt-spliced the wires directly together, bypassing the deutsch, but the same thing happens. I can hear the pump trying to turn on for about 1/2 second, but then nothing happens. Is this likely a voltage problem, or a problem with the pump? I didn't have a multimeter with me. But when I hook up another pump to the same switch, it works fine. Is there something I'm missing that you have to do to new pumps to get them to turn over easier? I'm at a loss at the moment.

Thanks for any inpt.

csm
06-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Last night, I tried pulling the impeller, in the hope that it was just sticking. Same issue even with no impeller. Can only sporadically get the motor to turn. Verified that the wiring for the switch still powers my other two pumps just fine. I'll give Wakemakers a call today, because the only thing I can think of is the new pump is somehow bad.

parrothd
06-26-2015, 05:07 PM
They may have used a relay to turn the pump on.. Follow the wires and see..

Fastest1
07-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Is the switch supplying constant power when flipped each and every time? Sometimes a switch that has gotten wet won't operate predictably.
My light switch on my golf cart takes flipping back and forth numerous times to get to work. Mostly because I wash everything with the hose.

csm
07-04-2015, 08:02 PM
I talked to WM. They said that when ballast is run through the digital cruise pro controller, they expect a certain amperage from a pump. The Johnson pumps require more amperage than Jabsco, so it was throwing everything out of whack. I replaced it with a new Jabsco and everything is working again. It's too bad because the one time I got the Johnson to actually fill, it was much faster than the Jabsco, but everything is good now.