PDA

View Full Version : Silly question: where do you all set the wakeplate when in choppy water?

trayson
06-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Where do you set it and how does that affect things?

Yeah, it's a noob like question (so be nice) and I have my impressions, but I'm curious what others think.

moombadaze
06-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Not in choppy water that often, but plate down, run slower and let the bow cut the waves

sivs1
06-02-2015, 07:37 PM
was just in choppy water Sunday, going against the wind. wake plate down water was splashing, wake plate up so bow was higher out of the water was better.

mmandley
06-02-2015, 09:09 PM
All depends on the situation man.

Wake plate down means nose down
Wake plate up means nose up

On the rare occasions I have been in chop, white caps on the water, going with the wind 50% up speed normal.

At Powel with the huge rollers, wind it was surf style 10 MPH plate 100% up

Ian Brantford
06-02-2015, 09:31 PM
The main thing that you'll need to know if you have the wrong setting and the bow starts to porpoise is that you can respond much faster with throttle reduction (which will always stop porpoising) than with searching for the right height.

In general, plate down for plowing effect is usually the way to go. Possibly at some wave heights and speeds, a different setting will work better.

trayson
06-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Thanks all. it makes sense that there's no "one right setting" that's going to cover all situations. And thinking through the dynamics of various situations is always healthy.

Thanks for helping me get a better mental picture of what's going on.

BrettLee3232
06-03-2015, 01:21 AM
I always role with it 100% down when cruising otherwise it's porpoising like a mother f***er. Only time it goes up is when I'm surfing.

P.S I hate that when you take off it automatically goes to 50% and I have to trim down. Anyone know a way to disable that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smorris7
06-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Normally 50% for cruising provides least amount of drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjr119
06-03-2015, 07:24 AM
For cruising I put mine all the way down then move it back up just a tap or two on the lever.

100% down will make my boat steer funny at 20+ mph. It kind of reminds me of bump steer in a car. But if you pull the plate back up a small amount to make it flush with the bottom of the hull it will handle a lot better, reduce drag, and still keep the boat from porpoising in most cases.

kaneboats
06-03-2015, 08:56 AM
I usually have people riding up front even if it is really choppy. I'll start moving it up from the bottom till I feel the bow rise up a little and no spray hitting the windshield. Usually don't run much more than 20 mph.

996scott
06-03-2015, 03:00 PM
higher the trim=higher the bow=less stable the boat is. I like to cruise with the trim up if the water is pretty smooth but if it is choppy or the bow is bouncing then I put the trim down.

beat taco
06-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Trim down and as much bow weigh as possible. I usually fill the front ballast only and have passengers sit in the bow. That way the boat can submarine through the waves which is much smoother than going over them.