PDA

View Full Version : Paddle wheel smells burnt and speeedo quits working.

johndeeremoomba69
06-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Hello everyone!! I have a 2015 Moomba Mondo. With just a little over 10hrs on it now. Paddle wheel worked fine for 6-7 hrs and then quit. Smelled like burnt plastic. Put new sensor in and it lasted for about 2minutes and then quit working again. Pulled sensor out of hull and it had that burnt smell to it again. In for service just wondering if anyone has had this issue?

mmandley
06-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Have not herd of that issue, but I know they have been replacing tons of Paddle wheels on 13- up boats. It seems to be a pretty big fail rate on the factory versions. I had 2 replaced in my boat the first year. It was due to intermittent readings though. Not burnt or not working at all.

samvq1
06-02-2015, 10:07 PM
The text of the 2014 service bulletin is listed below. I thought the problem had been fixed.

2014 Moomba Speedometer Paddlewheel
Boats effected:
2014 model year Moomba boats manufactured between October 2013 and March 2014. Serial numbers
ending in; J314, K314, L314, A414, B414, C414.
Issue:
The paddlewheel circuit board may be damaged by a voltage spike the ECM can produce and may trip
the engine ignition circuit breaker within the first few hours of operation.
Symptoms:
When the paddlewheel fails it can produce one or more of the following symptoms;
o No speed reading on the dash
o Engine breaker under the dash trips
o Engine shuts down
o Electrical smell in engine well
In order to get the engine running to return the boat, unplug the speedometer pigtail from the harness
located under the transmission cover (Image A) and reset the breaker under the dash. This will allow
the engine to safely restart.
Solution:
Replace the paddlewheel with a newer unit that now has an overvoltage protection chip on the
paddlewheel circuit board within the unit. Skier’s Choice Part number 104634 looks the same as the
original paddlewheel. The overvoltage protected paddlewheel has a manufacture date of 3/14 or
greater on the label affixed to the wiring pigtail (Image B).

johndeeremoomba69
06-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks samvq1. It never did trip the engine circuit breaker. But was on a leisure cruise around the lake at 3mph and the engine had stalled. Thought nothing of it started it back up again engaged drive and it did it again. So the next time I just speed up a bit and it was ok. Maybe an hour after this is when I started having these issues. Installed a second sensor provided to me from dealership with the later date stamped on it. It did the same thing again but basically did it right away. I will be curious to see what they find. When you are talking about voltage spike from ECM you are talking about (engine control module) I am assuming?

samvq1
06-03-2015, 07:58 AM
That is a direct copy and paste from the service bulletin. I assume it is talking about the engine control module as well. I had the same thing happen. Engine didn't stall but I had no speed indication and a burning smell in the engine compartment. I haven't had any additional problems since replacement.