PDA

View Full Version : Boat Issues Caused By Drunkards

mjr119
06-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Well I thought we had a successful outing last weekend, but today I noticed some damage caused by some drunk friends who joined us last Sunday.

The port side front (curved part) windshield has partially popped out of the rubber seal/frame at the bottom. This was caused by people using the widshield as a support when walking to and from the bow.

The windshield frame is missing a screw at the bottom closest to the center closeable window. Not sure if it was like that or it popped out. Either way I need to get the windshield seated back into the frame and put another screw in the frame to hold it.

Any advice on getting the windshield back into the groove without removing everything? The rubber seal is still seated in the frame, there is about a quarter of an inch gap in between the frame and the bottom of the glass now.

PS: I think I am going to start enforcing a no drinking rule on my boat! I know it's a buzz kill but it's annoying when you do not drink and others tear up your stuff!!! End rant....

sivs1
06-02-2015, 09:19 AM
That blows and would really pi$$ me off. I have a no drinking rule on my boat for that very reason, people not considerate enough of my stuff. I had a number of issues on my previous boat because of it. Yes, it's a buzz kill but has to be done.

Might try YouTube, am sure there are a number of posts about reseating automotive glass that could be useful.

mjr119
06-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks yes it does make me mad.

I dont think it will be difficult to fix. I attempted to reseat it at the boat ramp but it was getting dark so I only tried for a few minutes.

For those of you who have removed the windshield before, does it help to slide the rubber seal onto the glass and then put the glass into the frame, or is it easier to start with the seal already in the frame?

The seal is still in the frame, I was having issues keeping the seal separated on both sides so the glass could slide down into it. Maybe I will try some soap and water for lube.

beat taco
06-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Exactly seal on glass plenty of soapy water in a spray bottle on everything so you can move the rubber. A soft rubber mallet doesn't hurt either.

mjr119
06-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Okay I will give it a shot this evening if the weather permits.

Any tips until then will be greatly appreciated!

sivs1
06-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Any tips until then will be greatly appreciated!

Don't break the glass ;)

gregski
06-02-2015, 11:33 AM
This same thing happened to us, but not due to any drunks. In our case, I believe we probably lost a screw or two and then the lower corner of the windshield popped out when we hit a roller too hard.

I contacted a windshield repair shop and let them do it. It was very easy and only took them a few minutes. They ended up not charging us for the work (we do have a business relationship through a non-profit group). The reason I let them handle it was purely based on insurance. Replacement cost for these windshields will blow you away, I think they're in the range of $2k. I thought even if I paid up to $100, what I was really buying was the insurance just in case it slipped out of sweaty hands and crashed on the ground. There's no reason you can't handle this project just be aware.

mjr119
06-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Sure thanks for the advice. I hope that I do not have to take the windshield apart for the repair.

mmandley
06-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Listen to Jake on how to get the glass back in, When we removed ours to tint the LSV it took heat, soapy water, and some motivation.

How about you tell your friends the windshield is not a crutch.

I am not one to say kill drinking, if you like to have some beers responsibility on your boat then don't those friends kill your vibe.

Here is my buzz kill speech at the start of the day for anyone who has not been on my boat.

Drinking is allowed on my boat, drunkenness is not, the dock is never that fare away.
I know the Cops here, that means beers down when they pass, give them a wave of respect.
I know you want to help, let myself, Steve, or Curtis gets boards in and out of the racks.
Do not sit in the center of the back seat unless you want a 90lb lab running over you to get in the water.
Watch your feet when that same 90lb lab returns.
Remember that 90lb is part of my family, respect him like you do my wife.

Other then that party on dude!!!

We have the traditional Rule
Rule 1 is have fun
Rule 2 is, You have to be ok with nudity, yours and others. If you lose your swim suit due to not wearing one that fits then that's your problem. I will toss you a towel get back in the boat.

All 3 women that where guests almost lost their bottoms falling when surfing LOL.

mjr119
06-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Okay so I got the glass to seat back into the frame. The seal is still bubbled out a bit around the curved section, but I can live with it for now.

Wow it was a B!tch to get the seal on straight and keep it there while I slide it down into the frame. I hope I do not have to go thru this again! I was worried about the glass breaking the whole time, because I had to lift up on the windshield to even get to the rubber seal.

zabooda
06-03-2015, 08:56 PM
On travel so a little late chiming in but the older Moombas (1998-1999) had a windshield problem that I would fix 2-3 times a summer. It would separate just from a hard hit. I added a screw to the frame to keep it from pivoting and the problem was resolved. You should try to get the rubber to seal right as it will stay deformed after it has been in that position for some time so it will never seat right later.

rdlangston13
06-04-2015, 09:14 AM
No drinking on the boat? We do that once year during wake the world

Sent from my iPhone

ranger098
06-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Any advice for me? I have the exact same issue from the last weekend when we hit some swells a little hard. did you take any more of the windshield apart to make it fit?

mjr119
06-30-2015, 11:15 AM
I ended up having to pull the windshield most of the way out of the groove around the curved section. The rubber seal was pretty dried out and stiff, so I didnt get it perfect. The bottom screw was missing from my windshield frame, if yours is the same I would find a screw for it, otherwise it will happen again.

ranger098
06-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Yep i am missing the screw, i fiddled with it for a short while and didnt get anywhere, so i started thinking i would need to remove the top rail of the windshield to make things align. Though i am pretty sure that will open a can of worms and i dont wanna to that. Anyway ill get after it tonight and hopefully get her done! Thanks

mjr119
06-30-2015, 01:44 PM
It's a 2 person job for sure. I held the windshield up while my buddy tried to guide the rubber seal back into the groove. It was a PITA which is why I am okay with mine not being perfect haha. Good luck!

I used a little bit of water and dish soap too! Not sure if it helped or not, but I would try it if you are having a hard time.

ranger098
07-02-2015, 01:06 PM
So i got my windshield back together and lets just say that was a BIATCH... Like MJR119 i hope i never have to do that again and will likely pay someone else to do it if it somehow pops back out. I wasnt able to get it to perfectly seat back in the track either, bit it is almost perfect. I think you would have to completely remove the windshield and i didnt want to take that on. I did have to remove the top rail of the windshield to get things back together tho.

A word of advice to everyone out there, do not ignore a missing screw on your windshield! I noticed it was gone (the one on the bottom right of the port side, closest to the flip over windshield) but ignored it becuase i couldnt find the screw and i wouldnt have been able to put it back in without removing the windshield entirely. that's the only reason the windshield popped out in the first place.