PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Ronix koal surfboard review

Kidder522
05-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Hey everyone. Need your advice on a board that is for sale. 2010 koal 5.0 for $250. We are new to wake surfing and I am looking for something that our family can use. Is it a good board for newbie's, wife etc.

I have an o'brien alias 5.0 already.

Your expertise is always appreciated.

Richard.

sandm
05-31-2015, 12:04 PM
it's a good surfstyle. different to ride than skim.
personally, compared to my soulcraft with futures fins, it's a tad slow on the wake. I think some different fins would wake it right up.
if your peeps already know how to get up, riding will be different but easy. I do find skimstyle easier to train noobs on tho.

I have had peeps from 150 to 250lbs on it with no issues.

Kidder522
05-31-2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks Sandm.

I think I will try the family on the O'brien to see how we do. Hoping to get on the water real soon.

Richard

trayson
06-01-2015, 01:31 PM
I had a Ronix Koal Illuminati. I think it was the 2011. basically the same board from what I understand. it's stable. not the easiest board to flip up for newbies, but good stability. I ended up taking out the center fin to loosen it up and it was more fun then. I found it way to fragile for my taste though. I kept getting dings in it and I knew that it wasn't going to last for me. So I sold it before the season was over and used that as money to upgrade to a higher end board.

It's a decent all around shape though. good all around size. I found it less "slippery" than the Alias, but my buddy's alias only had 1 small center fin, so it could have been that.

Good luck.

WhiskeyRunner
06-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Hey everyone. Need your advice on a board that is for sale. 2010 koal 5.0 for $250. We are new to wake surfing and I am looking for something that our family can use. Is it a good board for newbie's, wife etc.

I have an o'brien alias 5.0 already.

Your expertise is always appreciated.

Richard.

Hey Richard-

I started wakesurfing last summer, and had both the O'Brien board and Ronix Koal (2013) models similar to you... confession time; I bought the Koal because it matched my boat and no other reason. The O'Brien was too squirrley for beginners, I found it difficult to get into the sport and stay on the board. The Ronix Koal was the complete opposite, completely stable and easy to balance and worked well for beginners. Here's my 2 cents; if you can afford a better board, get it. We quickly grew out of the Koal and got bored real fast. Although great for beginners, it is super slow and sluggish, so as soon as you get good enough to throw the rope, you'll be frustrated with this board.

I think there are a lot of better boards out there, even Ronix ones that give you a better ride for your money and allow both beginners and intermediates to enjoy for the same price. I found that out borrowing friend's boards and doing 360's which I can't do on my Koal. That being said, if you are limited by budget, $250 aint bad and you'll at least get some new wake surfers into the sport and you can re-evaluate next year.

tgoody14
06-16-2015, 10:14 AM
I've been riding the lime green/yellow Ronix Koal for 2 years and I loved it, but I'd agree you can grow out of it quick...

Speaking of that.. You guys that have higher end boards, What's a good upgrade from the Ronix Koal? Something faster and lighter for really cuttin it up????

smorris7
06-16-2015, 11:02 AM
I've been riding the lime green/yellow Ronix Koal for 2 years and I loved it, but I'd agree you can grow out of it quick...

Speaking of that.. You guys that have higher end boards, What's a good upgrade from the Ronix Koal? Something faster and lighter for really cuttin it up????

Take a look at a Doomswell. Locally hand shaped in TX. The Neo should do nicely. http://www.doomswell.com/

trayson
06-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Take a look at a Doomswell. Locally hand shaped in TX. The Neo should do nicely. http://www.doomswell.com/

+1

I went from a Ronix Koal to my Doomswell Nubstep. I adore it. I have ridden a few soulcrafts too and they are likewise great. I haven't ridden the soulcraft and the doomswell side by side though (yet). I love my Doomswell enough that I stopping really looking once I found it.