PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Pump and Ballast Bag Question

MJHSupra
05-28-2015, 10:13 PM
This is the 3rd season I've been using Johnson Pumps on my 2007 Supra.

On the first two trips this year, the starboard bag is getting water in it - about 1/3 full. I know when using the boat for the afternoon, the pump was not running. When I get back to the ramp, I find the water in the bag. I'm figuring with the kids tubing, there must be water forcing from the bottom of the boat.

Could this mean the pump is going bad - spinning with the force of the water?

The first two years I used the original back impellers.
This season I swapped to the orange ones. Anyone else having this happening?

Mark

trayson
05-29-2015, 02:12 AM
Do you have a thru hull for each pump? Are any of the pumps using the factory scupper intake? If so, it wouldn't surprise me that water's forcing its way in. I've been told that it's a 'worn impeller' that causes this, but I don't know. I do know that the scupper intake forces water in when the other mushroom ones wouldn't.

parrothd
05-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Its the scupper, mine started doing this last season, cutoff wheel and it was fixed..

MJHSupra
05-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Its the scupper, mine started doing this last season, cutoff wheel and it was fixed..

Yep - I used the original scupper for the starboard bag - the one starting to fill with water.
Then I drilled the new mushroom-style behind that for the port bag.

Did you just cut the top from the scupper? Sounds like an easy fix.

Now I think I recall reading something like this on this forum or the Supra one.

M-

parrothd
05-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Yep..

I cut the rounded grated top portion off, making it flat like the mushroom type. It's brass and cuts really easy with a cut off wheel in a few minutes.