PDA

View Full Version : LOTS of Water in bilge after running: Shaft Seal?

OutbackV2008
05-27-2015, 12:49 AM
I'm literally having trouble sleeping now that I came to the conclusion that my 2008 OBV appears to be taking on water at a decent click when running.
Scenario: Based on recommendations I replaced my impeller this year. Went pretty easy, tore my hand up good in the process.
When I motored out Saturday I kicked on the bilge and pumped out a decent amount of water. Surprised I looked at the impeller housing which appeared fairly dry underneath. Didn't look like there was a leak at the transom plug either. Just floated for an hour or so, no bilge. decided to speed over to honk at a friend, went for maybe 10 minutes at 20mph and by the time I stopped the auto bilge kicked on and pumped. Monster amount of water!
I'm freaking out with fear of a cracked block though my marina winterized the boat (I did it 2 years back).
Can somebody send a link showing where I can look (detailed pic) to see if it's coming from the packing seal? Boat only has 180hours so I don't know why that would be bad.

Any help appreciated. Very concerned and weather doesn't look like it will permit me to ease my mind any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OutbackV2008
05-27-2015, 12:51 AM
I've heard @DOCDRS has good threads on it but since they blocked the site on my work computer I struggle with the mobile app. Thanks again !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabbyg88
05-27-2015, 06:40 AM
I would also check you hoses. I had a similar thing happen to me and I found a cooling hoses was not on correctly dumping alot of water in the bilge. Good luck...

sivs1
05-27-2015, 09:03 AM
I would also check you hoses. I had a similar thing happen to me and I found a cooling hoses was not on correctly dumping alot of water in the bilge. Good luck...

Had the same thing happen to me first time out. Also as I was filling one of my 800lbs bags a fitting there was lose too.

wolfeman131
05-27-2015, 09:04 AM
you're going to need to get back out, or at least try a fake a lake, and get it running then stick your head down in the engine compartments to start eliminating possibilities. As others have stated, you may have a bad hose connection, maybe a leak in the ballast system or shaft seal.

kaneboats
05-27-2015, 09:50 AM
I had a cracked empty pump for my center bag. Took on a lot of water before I heard/found it.