PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance costs

canuckskier
06-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Hello all,

My Outback DD is due to arrive in a week, and I would apreciate your help.

I have this habit of putting $$ into a pot when I operate machinery (trucks, bobcats etc..) to cover regular maintenance. I was wondering if anyone here has a rough dollar figure for how much a DD costs per hour to maintain. I know there will be surprises, but if I can cover that I won't need to steal the neighbor kid's lunch money. Any help at all would be appreciated.

p.s. This is my first post, but I have been reading since I ordered my boat in April. Thanks to all for the great info. Makes owning for a first-timer like me less daunting.

Cheers from Canada

cobra219
06-02-2006, 01:23 PM
My Outback DD is due in the next few weeks as well. Where abouts are you? I know that my dealer has another Outback coming in with mine...what are the chances that it could be yours? I'm dealing with Muskoka Lakes Marine in Roseau, Ontario...

Cheers again from Canada...

Dave

canuckskier
06-02-2006, 04:24 PM
No such luck, I'm dealing with Martin equipment in Edmonton, AB.

Enjoy your new boat!

qb12
06-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Okay, I pulled this info up on waterski boats dallas website. Please note that these are US ;) $$$$.

Oil change- direct drive $70 vdrive 100
Transmission Change dd-$80 vdrive 100
20 hr service dd $180 vdrive 200
50 hr service dd $159 vdrive 179
100hr service dd$300 vdrive 400
impellor change dd $80 vdrive 100
rope packing dd $85 vdrive 130
engine alignnment dd $70 vdrive 90

labor rate $80.

hope this give you something to think about and by the way don' forget while you are already spending all this money go ahead and drip another $350 for a new prop.....

Doug

EUSTACE
06-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Depends how hard you run and how many hours you put on, but a rule of thumb: $25 to $50 per ft. of boat per season.

Be well, E

zabooda
06-02-2006, 07:53 PM
I have a 98 Mobius that I have had since 2002 and I spent about $250 shortly after I got it when the electronic igition went out and I spent another $150 this year for some linkage problems and I spent nothing in between those years. I do all of the easy work myself which up to this point is everything.

The dollars add up fast if something major happens so I would put a fair amount of money away just in case and hope for the best. If nothing happens, then you can use the money for your kids education (he he). From reading the posts, the major problems don't happen often and it depends on how much you want to do yourself for the routine stuff. The warrenty service prices look like a killer but you probably need to do those for warrenty requirements. I haven't had an shaft alignment problem but I would like to figure that out sometime. I guess when the need arises. Everything else on the list I've done before including the winterization and none of them are difficult just time consuming but I can live with my hourly rate.

qb12
06-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Ed, I agree.

I was just trying to show those that have no mechanical ability what the going rates were.

Thank god Brian Raymond has given me enough asst. to do most of what I detailed out.

Doug

qb12
06-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Oh, sorry, I do need to post this last::::By posting what I did I was just trying to give a example of what these bad boys run. His site was the only one I saw with posted prices of maintance.

The dealer I pulled this info is and always has been a excellent supporter of Moomba/Supra and does a lot for the wakeboarding community.

Marty Mcfly (true) really is a cool guy.

Doug

ps, invest in a back up prop before you waste anymore buck......trust me you will someday down the road bend one and it can ruin your whole trip.

also props to Brian for recommending the new oj wakeboard prop. It's baddddd.

canuckskier
06-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks all for getting back to me, I think I'll probably be able do most of the work myself, but i find it alot easier to put a few bucks in a jar every time I use the boat rather than have to come up with a huge lump sum.

Thanks for the advice about a spare prop. While I'm at it should I invest in a prop-puller, or can it be done without in a pinch?

Cheers

zabooda
06-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Props is a subject by itself. If you swap out props on the water you'll be under the end of the boat so you'll need a swim mask, a spare prop, a puller, wrench, and extra nut and cotter pin (in case you drop it and can't find it). I worked out a deal with the prop company on an improved prop than what came stock plus a carry bag and a puller. As a package, the cost wasn't that much more. I run the four blade prop and use the three blade stock prop as a spare. Knock on wood, it's never been used.

freyse
06-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Canuckskier ,fellow Canadian from the next province over Sask ,first time Moomba Outback owner myself ,picked my boat up in Fargo was talking with Martin Equipment in Edmonton as well as Mobius Marine in Calgary but decided to head south .All I have to say is had the boat out 2 times now and am so stoked about the new boat .1 thing you have going for you is you have a dealer in Edmonton no such luck in Saskatoon, I have to get my warranty work done thru a Malibu and Tige' dealer in Toon town.Not to knock them but just don't get that dealer buyer friendlyness a guy might want after buying a new boat ,congrats on the new boat enjoy the Summer keep the mozies from bitting Go Oilers Go!!

Catdog1
06-03-2006, 05:17 AM
If mechanically inclined, you can do all maint work yourself.

Entering 8th season, 400 hrs and have never taken our outback for service.

Consider keeping spares on-board. Yes to the prop puller, spare prop, 1 1/16 wrench, nut, washer, cotter pin and don't forget spare key stock for the keyway.

Oil change is easier than a car, budget 2 per season, 5 qts plus filter.

Budget for one fuel filter per year and keep one onboard,, triple wrapped in plastic to keep dry. Change one impellor/yr and keep a spare handy.

I have a different philosphy regarding transmission fluid.... I never change it due to risk of introducing real dirt or grit in the process. And I'd never trust some boatyard helper do it. ( Boat is designed such that trans filter and drain plugs are completely inaccessible ). If and when it starts to slip I'll install new clutches. Intending to identify and buy the kit this season to have on-hand.

My boat has original sparkplugs and wires (plugs show appropriate gap & no wear).

qb12
06-03-2006, 08:46 AM
check with skidim.com for the extra prop and they can hook you up with a package that includes the prop, puller, wrench, nut and key along with a cool carry bag for around $400. While you make that order go ahead and order the johnson impeller and keep that in the boat for a backup.

db

JoeTechie
06-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Get the prop with the "kit" - puller, wrench, pin, key, and nut - all for only about $90 more.

-J

- Enjoy your new toy!