PDA

View Full Version : Hard To Steer

Moomba Dad
05-24-2015, 11:03 AM
I have 2004 Moomba Movius LSV. Just lauched it and it's a bit$h to steer, especially at medium/higher speeds. I found this our right after I found wet warm saturated carpet under my feet....ruptured heater core. :mad:

Anyway, back to my steering. I've searched already and it sounds like there is a zirk fitting somewhere. Can somebody direct me to where I can find this please?

Also, if somebody could help tell me what type of steering cable I need and where to buy one I would appreciate it very much.

Thanx in advance for any help!

VA LSV
05-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Fitting is on the inside where the rudder shaft comes through the hull. I found the best access is from the passenger side. You'll need to remove the locker side panel but still not easy to get a grease gun on it.

Fastest1
05-31-2015, 10:32 AM
You can build an extension to attach to the zerks easy and cheap. You could even leave it on.
Here is a pic or 2, if you have questions, ask.

gregski
06-01-2015, 11:58 AM
If the cable hasn't been greased regularly, water can get in and cause it to start binding. Adding grease may get it going but don't be surprised if you need to replace it. New cables almost always result in: "wow this steers so easy now".

Moomba Dad
06-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Yep, it steers so easy now!

We replaced it this past weekend. What a pain-in-the-a$$ though. It would have helped if I had long arms with three elbows in each to get under/around all the crap on the motor. :mad: But hey, it's done and I save a chunk of $ by doing it myself.

996scott
06-01-2015, 02:57 PM
So my buddy had his cable replaced last year and he said it was perfect all year long. He called me from the lake yesterday and said it is now really hard to turn the wheel again. He asked me if I thought that the cable would need to be replaced again after just 1 yr. I told him I didn't think so and that I thought he should call the dealer who replaced the cable and ask them about it. Is it likely that it would be bad after just 1 yr? Do you actually grease the cable or the zerk fitting at the rudder? Just trying to pass some info to my buddy, thanks.

Moomba Dad
06-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Just greased mine for the only time in last 7 years.

gregski
06-01-2015, 05:01 PM
So my buddy had his cable replaced last year and he said it was perfect all year long. He called me from the lake yesterday and said it is now really hard to turn the wheel again. He asked me if I thought that the cable would need to be replaced again after just 1 yr. I told him I didn't think so and that I thought he should call the dealer who replaced the cable and ask them about it. Is it likely that it would be bad after just 1 yr? Do you actually grease the cable or the zerk fitting at the rudder? Just trying to pass some info to my buddy, thanks.

If water gets in there, it could die pretty quickly. On my old boat, that happened pretty easily because the rudder end was very low in the bilge and I didn't have a float level switch on the bilge pump.

996scott
06-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Just greased mine for the only time in last 7 years.

so how did you grease it?

Moomba Dad
06-02-2015, 09:39 PM
so how did you grease it?

I greased the zerk fitting on the rudder. I also changed the steering cable. It's pretty difficult to access both.

Bslamb22
05-23-2021, 07:43 AM
Any advice on how to change the steering cable?

jzelt
05-27-2021, 01:22 PM
Pull the screws 4 per corner per section. This will give access to the cables/gas tank. Tie a heavy string to the end before pulling thru so that you can use it to fish the new cable back. (used twisted mason line).