PDA

View Full Version : Please Help !!

bosscat
06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I have a 2000 Outback with the 310 carbed Indmar. It has 168 hours on it and I put 100 of them on last year when I bought it. It ran great when I put it up last year. This year it seemed to sound like a slight exhaust leak at the manifold where it bolts to the engine. It sounds like a car when it leaks there kind of like a ticking sound. The dealer told me to tighten it up slightly which I did. I bought the fake lake thing to run it in the driveway to make this repair. After running it and getting in there it sounds like it comes from the carb. I should say that the sound is only there when I punch it to pull up the boarder. So in the driveway it does the same but it is coming from the carb. If I ease into it it is not there, but a hard punch and it sounds like the engine is not as crisp as it should be. Would a slight carb adjustment help me out here and if so what screws and where are they? Thanks.

YellowMoomba0
06-02-2006, 02:20 PM
The only screws I know of that make any adjustments are the idle screw and the jet screws which are located on the front left and right sides of the main body. These adjustments however control rich/ lean, and rpm at idle. The whistling noise you have sounds like it could be a slight vacuum leak. My 04 (310 carb) Outback will do this sometimes especially after the load of pulling a skier. Fortunely I live 5 minutes from PCM and ski with those guys. Their lead mechanic looked at mine and could not find the leak although everyone could hear it. It eventually went away, but now its back from time to time... It all depends on the temp outside and humitity levels and bla bla bla. I suppose. Unless you know how to remove the carb and re-install it with a new gasket then I would take it to your dealer and let them check it out. Is the boat running fine otherwise?

I do know that mine is out of warranty in one more year and at that time I am going to upgrade to the Holley 5160 ($500 or so), which is the carb Indmar ought to use instead of the 5150 which in my opinion is a P.O.S.

Sorry for the lack or decent advise, perhaps someone on here knows better. Good Luck

06-02-2006, 09:36 PM
anybody else?

bosscat
06-05-2006, 07:02 PM
It is for sure in the carb. When I punch it sounds like a popping or back fire right out of the carb. I took the bowl off and it looks brand new. same with the fuel screens going into the carb. The fuel pump looks ok. I put new plugs in it and still the same popping/back fire sound when I hit it hard. A guy told me that it is usually a lean condition like that but nothing has changed since last year. Anybody please help.