PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive & Tranny Fluid Change

mjr119
05-22-2015, 10:55 AM
I plan to change the oil in my tranny and vdrive this weekend. I bought a cheap wal mart attwood oil pump, so we will see how that works.

I have a 2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games edition. How much ATF does it hold? Which transmission do I have?

Which V drive do I have? The 26D, does it hold half a quart or a full quart?

Does anyone have the manuals for my vdrive or tranny? Any tips or hints that may help me with the process?

Thanks!

kaneboats
05-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Start with page 57 of your owners manual.

http://www.moomba.com/sites/default/files/downloads/manuals/moomba_03.pdf

VA LSV
05-22-2015, 12:27 PM
I think you will find the V drive will take slightly less than 1 qt of SAE 30 and the transmission will take slightly less than 2 qts of ATF Dextron III. Check with the dip stick so you don't overfill.

mjr119
05-23-2015, 09:55 PM
I changed the v drive oil today. I was able to suction about 3/4 of a quart out of it.

What is the correct process for checking the oil? I ran the boat before the change and checked it at the dock and it was just under the lowest mark. I checked it on the trailer last week and it read almost full.

kaneboats
05-24-2015, 10:05 AM
The boat should be sitting still in the water to check it.

mjr119
05-24-2015, 07:15 PM
The oil is just below the H mark. The has significantly less whine when engaged in reverse. Thanks all.

spyder
05-24-2015, 08:00 PM
I should do this. Thanks for the heads up. Heh

Myth
06-02-2015, 02:49 PM
I've drained my tranny through the dipstick. But I can't find the location of the screen/magnet. Any clues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjr119
06-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Not sure on that one. I would like to know this myself. I plan to change the trans fluid in my boat after the next outing (hopefully one day this week!)

brain_rinse
06-02-2015, 03:43 PM
This thread has some helpful info: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10977-Transmission-and-Vdrive-Service

mmandley
06-02-2015, 03:44 PM
I've drained my tranny through the dipstick. But I can't find the location of the screen/magnet. Any clues?

Not positive but I think I heard its on the drain bolt on the bottom?

brain_rinse
06-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Check out that link, but it's on the bottom and terrible to get to. There are pics of the filter screen in there as well.

Myth
06-02-2015, 04:42 PM
I've followed that link, and it's been helpful. However, I'm still unable to find anything on the bottom of the transmission. I've felt around and can't seem to locate any screws. Where are they in relation to the transmission dipstick? Directly below? Forward a bit? I'm completely clueless :)

brain_rinse
06-02-2015, 04:57 PM
I've repressed most of these painful memories, but I recall laying on the floor of the boat, head smashed into the wall above the vdrive, with my arms fully stretched out to reach the bottom of the transmission, with only a couple inches of clearance between the trans and the bilge floor. Good luck! :)

Moomba Dad
06-02-2015, 09:46 PM
I've repressed most of these painful memories, but I recall laying on the floor of the boat, head smashed into the wall above the vdrive, with my arms fully stretched out to reach the bottom of the transmission, with only a couple inches of clearance between the trans and the bilge floor. Good luck! :)

Nice visual. After recently changing my steering cable I can certainly relate. I swear that only skinny, long-armed mechanics with three elbows in each arm can work on these darned boats!

Myth
06-02-2015, 10:33 PM

Thank you! That was the exact description I needed. I was able to finally locate the screen. I agree, this may qualify for "Pay someone to do this next time". If you're not kissing your V-Drive, you're doing it wrong.

For future reference, i was able to unscrew one side, and only partially unscrewed the other side. This way, i was able to move the plate to the side and then remove and clean the screen without having to remove both screws. This saved me a bit of a headache trying to re-attach it.

brain_rinse
06-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Glad to hear you got it done! Was there anything on the screen? I think us OCD forum guys are the only ones that do this type of maintenance. I remember asking the dealer and they said they don't bother unless someone insists, and then they hoist the engine to do it.

Myth
06-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Screen was pretty clean. But since I bought the boat last year, I wanted to be sure it had been done.