PDA

View Full Version : perfect pass and idling problems...

06-01-2006, 09:52 PM
new 06 xlv couple of problems: 1. engine idles high however a quick rev in neutral unsticks it. 2. perfect pass surges something awful, if it is set say on 23 it will accelerate aggressively to 24, and then stop suddenly with no acceleration until it drops to 22, then back up to 24,over and over again. could these problems be related? any advice would be greatly apprectiated i seem to be the only person at my dock with perfect pass.

hunter
06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
new 06 xlv couple of problems. 1. idling high however a quick rev in neutral unsticks it. perfect pass is surging something awful. if it is set on 23 in wakeboard mode it will accelerate agressively to 24, then totally drop off until it hits 22, then back up to 24, no amount of adjusing the nn or kdw helps. Could these two problems be related? any advice would be appreciated.

smokedog2
06-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Your PP is set wrong. Have the dealer adjust it. The best way - the way my dealer did it - was to go for a boat ride with the mechanic. The adjustment took a long time to isolate and about 20 seconds to make. Something about the coil in the back and the tension screw. Anyway I would have to look again but the windup was wrong.

I assume you have EFI? How would you rev the engine?

If you bought a carb on that boat I will not yell at you, there is enough of that in other threads. Instead, I electronically throw a dead fish at you in frustration.

SD2

Sanguine
06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
My 06 LSV was having a lot of trouble with PP. After some poking around, I noticed the cable running from the servo to the throttle stuff was stuck under the decorative cover. Took the cover off, moved the cable around it, no more problems.

Orlandoboats
06-02-2006, 09:27 PM
I would take a look at the cable from the Servo to the throttle mate. Chances are that It is under the decorative shroud all right. Anything obstructing the cable will cause it to surge for sure. After that I would call your dealer. I also do not think it has anything to do with the high idle. Just my opinion of course.

Rob

doug0446
06-06-2006, 09:07 PM
on my xlv05, I noticed the last time I was out that that the engine would surge when in nutral. going from 800 to 1000 rpm. It only happened once and when I turned off the engine and started it 20 minutes later, it did not happen again. I was boating for out 2 hours before I noticed it before. I had PP off at the time.

Also, if I am going at slow speeds and have pp on by accident, I find that the engine will surge a little.

JoeTechie
06-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I would like to thank Rob for taking care of this for me (no charge, and without asking) during my last visit in.

Orlando Boats, and staff truly sets the bar to be met by other dealers.

-Joe

hunter
06-29-2006, 12:33 PM
The perfect pass on my xlv seems to be working better however it continues to idle higher and more often than it was before (12-1300rpm) and is becoming a problem. I have contacted my dealer and moomba and have gotten very little help from either. The pp linkage seems to be fine. Any ideas on why it would idle this high? I just cant figure it out.

lowdrag
07-01-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm assuming your boat has the new throttle by wire that they started using this year. If you follow the cable from your pp to where it meets up with the throttle cable from the front you could start looking for problems. You'll see that there is no direct link from the cables to the engines throttle body. Istead you'll see a sensor that has a little black arm on it that moves when you open the throttle. That sensor sends electronic info that controls the throttle on the motor. I'd check to see if it's hanging or if the pp cable isn't allowing it to return completely to idle. I believe it also has a return spring on it. That may be something that's out of adjustment as well.

JoeTechie
07-01-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't think it is a true "Throttle by Wire" system this year Lowdrag. That is completely electronic. Just the addition of built in cruse control for us this year... next year - who knows!

lowdrag
07-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Hmmmm......I assumed that everything between the Supra's and Moomba's would be the same and that the ez-cruise was only possible because of the throttle by wire. On mine it is a true throttle by wire. There is no physical link between the throttle cable and the throttle body on the engine. The throttle cable still travels from the throttle control back to the engine compartment instead of having a throttle position sensor right on the throttle control. Word is that this is because people really didn't like the feel of it without the cable.

JoeTechie
07-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I was under the impression that there was a difference between the current system and the full fledged stuff that Mastercraft, etc advertise all over the place as a feature the "lower end" boats do not have. I also remember a recent thread where someone from Skiers Choice (BR?) talked about not having that feature and needing to go to it in the future as well.

I know about the feel of the first TBW in vehicles... felt way to "slippery" - but a few friction washers and an adjustement and they are all over the place now.

Thx,

Joe

lowdrag
07-03-2006, 12:04 AM
I think the MC version is a little different. From talking to my dealer he said they tried mounting the throttle position sensor directly to the throttle. When they tested it, everyone hated the feel of it as it was extremely senstive and there wasn't enough resistance. I believe he said that the new MC system has like a foot or two of cable that attaches to the sensor, which differs from our as the cable still runs all the way back to the engine compartment where it attaches to the sensor. Maybe they plan to change it in the future. I can't see how it would be too hard to mount the sensor directly to the hand throttle and design some friction plates which could be adjusted by the user to their own preference of resistance in the throttle.

Kent and Carol
07-18-2006, 01:35 AM
I have had a intermitent idle problem on my 04 mobius lsv for about the last 50 hours of use (205 hrs to date). I had the dealer check the problem, they made an adjustment to recalibrate one of the sensors to no sucess. I ordered a new electronic speed sensor but it did not come in a timley manner so I disconnected all three electronic connections to the carburator, inspected blew them off a little and reconnected them all in a firm manner. No idle problems in the last 20 hours of use. I relate it is a electrical issue not a part calibration or part malfunction. I had a high idle intermitantly during idle out of harbor and a very high idle after wakeboard runs. Hopeing for good weather in seattle good luck, Kent. [email protected]