PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the trigger on a new mondo?

callynoah
05-21-2015, 11:21 PM
The dealer we have been dealing with finally called and said the boat we have been waiting for to see is in. It is a 2015 mondo purple flake/black pretty much fully loaded, im excited but getting cold feet after waiting so long for the boat to arrive and have been looking at a few other boats including a 2014 vlx which we really like too. The price diff is about $16000 here in canada and price is not really a factor we just want a good boat around 20-21.5 ft. This is our 1st wake/surf boat and want to get one we will enjoy for the next few years and not be unhappy after we purchase it. Is everyone satisfied with the mondo including the motor,interior, autoflow etc. I have been following this board since we started looking at the mondo and value everyones opinion here. If we do purchase the boat is there anything i should be looking at or watching for with the boat.

Thanks again for all your help
Kevin

mmandley
05-21-2015, 11:26 PM
You will want to upgrade the V drive bags to 750-900
You will want and IBS if it doesn't come with one. <integrated bow sac>

As for the VLX they are sharp boats, I don't know the options list on them as well but 16K is a lot of money extra for a 20. If that is the size you want then you might give Tige Z1 and R20 a look as well.

The best advise is go drive them all, surf them all.

Make a list of each ones pro con and make a choice by that.

For my self, I would stay Mondo in the 20ft category, physically the most room in a 20ft out there right now, also lower end of the price bracket, I think the Resale on the Mondo will hold better due to its interior size, and lower price point to begin with.

If you can go to a 21 Ft then LSV will be a must look at boat as well. Doesn't have the wide nose the Mondo has but its a long term proven boat and hold its value in the market very well.

I know right now I have my top 5 list of boats I would go to for Surf wave, as thats what we do most. But then I have my top 5 boats I would go to for Boat interior options price. The list is different.

Some boats truly have a better surf wave but with as much time as you spend in the boat while everyone gets a turn, boat interior is very important to me still.

sivs1
05-22-2015, 08:53 AM
I am cost conscious on all my purchases. 16k is a decent chunk of change, yes boats are expensive to begin with but look at the advantages that extra 16k will bring to you and your family. I go to the boat show and look at all of these 100k+ boats and yes, they are nice, but my 06 LSV can really accomplish everything I want it to and it works for me and my family, no need to spend more money. Will I upgrade eventually, absolutely, will I be in your same shoes comparing other brands, absolutely. Determine your needs and go from there.

That Guy
05-22-2015, 09:04 AM
I can't imagine a NEW 2014 Malibu VLX is only $16k more than a new Mondo UNLESS the VLX is stripped and the Mondo is loaded up with options. When we were researching to buy less than 6 months ago there was easily a $25k-30k difference between the boats, based on pricing I saw online as well as actual numbers we were quoted by local dealers. Not saying it's worth that much more....just my experience.

Those are actually quite different boats as well, I'm surprised you jumped from one to the other without checking out any of the boats inbetween them.

Another thing to consider is the VLX is 1 foot longer and 1" wider. A longer boat will surf better and easier, simple displacement of water.

Lastly, when we were boat shopping and I was doing research a common saying I heard was something about no one ever complained about having too much space!

Good luck and post pictures of whatever you get!

callynoah
05-22-2015, 10:59 AM
How close is the MSRP to the actual price should I be paying? I priced the boat out on the moomba website based on the specs page he gave me and got a price of $72660 US with the conversion in our wonderful canadian dollar they are asking $85231 canadian plus tax including a fully loaded tandem trailer. There is a $6000 dollar discount but we are still at $78729 for the boat and trailer plus taxes. Basically they are selling me the boat for the MSRP less the $6000 discount is this in the ball park?
FYI the 2014 VLX is $94000 as they are trying to get rid of them since the new model came out.

deelan_
05-22-2015, 11:59 AM
How close is the MSRP to the actual price should I be paying? I priced the boat out on the moomba website based on the specs page he gave me and got a price of $72660 US with the conversion in our wonderful canadian dollar they are asking $85231 canadian plus tax including a fully loaded tandem trailer. There is a $6000 dollar discount but we are still at $78729 for the boat and trailer plus taxes. Basically they are selling me the boat for the MSRP less the $6000 discount is this in the ball park?
FYI the 2014 VLX is $94000 as they are trying to get rid of them since the new model came out.

Holy hell that's high. All the ones I've looked at are priced around 62k some are in the high 50's. That's loaded. Maybe it's where you live but...
For the price and size, the mondo is one of the best. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Guy
05-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Holy hell that's high. All the ones I've looked at are priced around 62k some are in the high 50's. That's loaded. Maybe it's where you live but... For the price and size, the mondo is one of the best. IMO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. I thought the same initially then realized the OP is in Canada and $62k usd ~ $75k cad. So that's not far off, maybe $5-10k, depending on options then what I was finding but options can add up to thousands. However, that also means that the $94k # above for the 2014 Malibu VLX is only about $77k usd....which is actually slightly under priced compared to what I've seen online.

My .02...when I was shopping I was finding Mondo's for about $55k nicely optioned and got a couple quotes on Malibus for 75k-85k. That's where I found the significant price different.

RickT
05-23-2015, 09:21 AM
There should be a significant difference in engines. The Mondo is standard with 6.2L Ford Raptor with a 5 year drivetrain warranty. Make sure the engines are apples to apples. The Raptor power allows you to run essentially any amount of ballast you choose. Good luck in search

Rick