PDA

View Full Version : What is this hose??

mikenehrkorn
05-21-2015, 10:36 AM
I was crawling around the engine this morning and noticed a hose that is capped off and just hanging on a hook like it's ready to hook to something -- see pic...anybody know what that hose is for?

kaneboats
05-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Drain your oil.

VA LSV
05-21-2015, 10:40 AM
That's your engine oil drain hose. Connected to the oil pan where the plug would be.

spyder
05-21-2015, 10:50 AM
it's too short to be overly useful.. anyone able to source a longer one that would maybe make it out the drain hole? lol

mnpracing
05-21-2015, 11:34 AM
I made an adapter with plumbing parts from Home Depot to lengthen it.

trayson
05-21-2015, 11:38 AM
it's too short to be overly useful.. anyone able to source a longer one that would maybe make it out the drain hole? lol

Yeah, it was pretty easy to make an extension. you just get two barbed ends with threaded male, and then a coupler that's female/female. Maybe another cap would be handy too.

I made one for mine for cheap, but even after warming my engine up a bit running on the flush pro at my house, the oil draining out of there was so PAINFULLY flow that I couldn't stand it so I got out my topsider suction pump and sucked it out the dipstick tube.

mjr119
05-21-2015, 11:39 AM
Yeah it is a bit short. When I changed my oil last week I had to let it drain out onto the wakeplate and put 2 5 gallon buckets on each side of the plate to catch the oil. I just bought a manual pump/extractor so next time I will pump it out of the drain hose.

996scott
05-21-2015, 01:16 PM
"I made one for mine for cheap, but even after warming my engine up a bit running on the flush pro at my house, the oil draining out of there was so PAINFULLY flow that I couldn't stand it so I got out my topsider suction pump and sucked it out the dipstick tube."

DON'T suck out the oil through the dipstick tube! The plastic suction tube can get stuck in the dipstick tube and then you are screwed. Ask me how I know. ONLY suck the oil out through the drain tube.

trayson
05-21-2015, 01:36 PM
"I made one for mine for cheap, but even after warming my engine up a bit running on the flush pro at my house, the oil draining out of there was so PAINFULLY flow that I couldn't stand it so I got out my topsider suction pump and sucked it out the dipstick tube."

DON'T suck out the oil through the dipstick tube! The plastic suction tube can get stuck in the dipstick tube and then you are screwed. Ask me how I know. ONLY suck the oil out through the drain tube.

My topsider pump came with a long plastic tube. It's significantly longer than the length of the dipstick tube, so even when the plastic tube bottoms out at the bottom of the oil pan, there's still lots of plastic tube stickingout the top of the dipstick tube. I can't really see how this would be a problem. gravity isn't going to suck the plastic tube further down and there's always the portion at the top to pull the plastic out with, and I can't really see how it would catch on anything.

I'm sure your experience was different. LMK what variables contributed to yours though. With how mine went, I really see little risk using the pump/tubing that I have.

viking
05-21-2015, 01:46 PM
if you have an extractor the hose doesn't need to be that long. For gravity drain you of course want it long enough to route throught the boat drain plug hole!

csm
05-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Trayson - Are you taking off the fill cap for the oil when you drain out of the hose? I pump the oil out of the hose shown above, and it's not slow at all. One time I forgot to take off the fill cap, and it did take forever until I remembered.

spyder
05-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Trayson - Are you taking off the fill cap for the oil when you drain out of the hose? I pump the oil out of the hose shown above, and it's not slow at all. One time I forgot to take off the fill cap, and it did take forever until I remembered.

i assume the key is to warm the oil as well...

trayson
05-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Yes, the fill cap was off and the dipstick was out. I did get a bit out eventually, but the topsider extraction pump was way easier and quicker.

i assume the key is to warm the oil as well...

I Did as much as I could. I have the flush pro on my boat that allows the boat to be run off the garden hose. however, it seems that the flow of the typical garden hose isn't quite enough to keep up for any real duration of time. The engine temp got up to the point where I wasn't comfortable running it off the hose any longer. I'm sure the oil temp rose a little, but certainly not enough to make it as viscous as I would have needed. It was coming out so slow that it made me go into the garage and dig out the topsider pump.

996scott
05-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Here is the thread I started with a little more info.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23440-Need-help-please-oil-extractor-hose-stuck-in-dipstick-tube

Just an FYI, if you Google,"hose stuck in dip stick tube" you will find tons of threads from boats to cars where people have had problems.

trayson
05-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Here is the thread I started with a little more info.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23440-Need-help-please-oil-extractor-hose-stuck-in-dipstick-tube

Just an FYI, if you Google,"hose stuck in dip stick tube" you will find tons of threads from boats to cars where people have had problems.

Good to know. what a PITA.

DOCDRS
05-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Good to know. what a PITA.

PITA ...... Pain In The Ass

trayson
05-21-2015, 07:21 PM
PITA ...... Pain In The Ass

Right, I was making a statement that what he went through sounded like a PITA. :-)

kaneboats
05-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Wow, I read that as "What is a PITA" too the first time. Must be brain playing tricks on us.

mmandley
05-21-2015, 11:19 PM
I use an oil extractor, run the boat on the lake to get the engine and oil hot. Drain the oil through the Dip Stick tube, pull the valve cover fill port off. Drains till shes empty.

gregski
05-22-2015, 10:43 AM
I've had the same experience as Trayson. I'm not sure of it but I think the issue is that the oil pump isn't really cycling all of the oil when warmed up with a hose/fake-a-lake. Even thought the engine water temperature is up, I think there is a cool layer of oil on the bottom of the pan and a warmer layer on top that the pump is cycling. Or, simply the engine water temperature is warm but it hasn't been running long enough to get the oil temperature up.

When I've changed the oil after being on the lake, it drains out of the hose with no problem.

Dubwake21
07-01-2015, 11:44 PM
So maybe you guys can help me. I have an oil leak, and per the dealer, it seems to be coming from this hose on my 2008 Outback V. Are your models easier to get to? They want $2000 in labor to remove the engine to fix mine. Plus, if it is leaking through this hose, wouldn't that mean a crossthreaded plug or bad gasket around the plug? Without seeing it yet, I can't envision why the hose itself would leak.

mjr119
07-02-2015, 07:28 AM
2000 is steep. I think you could remove the hose and fitting and just put a bolt back in the oil pan. Did this on my last boat but the engine was out so I don't know if you can get to it. You may have to remove the motor mounts and Jack the engine up slightly.

kaneboats
07-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Agree. No way I'd pay two grand to have a hose replaced. Shoot, I'd cut off the bad part and plug the end before I'd pay for that one. I drain through the dipstick hole anyway.

mjr119
07-02-2015, 09:59 AM
I can reach underneath my engine and touch where the hose connects to the lowest part of the oil pan. I would drain the oil and try to unscrew that fitting from the oil pan. If you can get it out then you're golden. You can replace it with a bolt or fix the hose etc...

viking
07-02-2015, 10:30 AM
$2000 - SOB #@!*
If they can with certainty tell that the hose is the problem then I would guess that there might be enough room to do what others have said and remove the hose and replace with plug or cap the hose short where the leak is and move on. There's gotta be a more economical solution?

mjr119
07-02-2015, 10:54 AM
But if they had to remove the engine, I wouldnt do it for 2000 lol. Thats a job and a half. But I suspect that they would not need to. Like I said before, worst case scenario, unbolt motor mounts, place a small jack underneath something solid on the engine (not your alternator or anything like that lol), maybe use a small block of wood between the engine and the jack, and lift it up enough to get to the oil pan fitting.

Hopefully it is just leaking from the hose and you can cut it and plug it.

VA LSV
07-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Leak could also be due to a rusted oil pan which would explain why they want to pull the engine.

Fastest1
07-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Stick your arm under there with an IPhone on video. Verify the leak. You can jack up the motor quite a ways to get to things. You will have to disconnect the v drive and or prop shaft.