PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Outback Interior Removal - 2005

jweber
05-21-2015, 12:07 AM
I am attempting to remove the seat cushions from the bow area of my 2005 Moomba Outback.... there is simply no room to access some of the fasteners behind the back of the cushions in the bow area. As silly as it sounds it looks as if these fasteners were installed prior to the upper and lower halves of the boat being bonded together.

Does anybody have experience with this? How do I get these seat cushions out? :confused::confused:

kaneboats
05-21-2015, 01:25 AM
Don't know your model specifically but I have had to lay in very uncomfortable positions and reach in weird places to get to stuff on mine. You might need flex sockets, etc. to reach some of the bolts/nuts. If you are not up for that it might be worth it to take to a shop. Good luck!

Flee27
05-21-2015, 11:39 AM
Yeah what he said...

Mine were held in with studs on the cushions so you have to remove the bolts. The only thing that had to be removed was the floor to get the drivers seat unbolted. This was on a 2004 Mobius.

No secrets or tricks. Just contortion required. A few bad words here and there seems to help sometimes also ;)

Good luck

Foster

parrothd
05-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Remove the speakers, and long skinny arms. Most you need to lay upside down and reach up. Your arms will be scratched to hell.. :D

parrothd
05-21-2015, 12:58 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/21/aabeaf2b576c895811a764b71a126bf8.jpg

parrothd
05-21-2015, 01:01 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/21/fcb72f33771efd2b91284a3ff8f92d34.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/21/7cf6f65ae786387d148d3e276ae20e88.jpg

jweber
05-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the answers folks.... I have determined that the answer is "adding speakers" in the front"! LOL My boat only has four speakers in the back, and it is apparent that if I had the two speaker holes in the front that I could easily access the four locations that I cannot get to now. The two upper outboard locations on the front cushion, and the two forward upper locations on the side cushions are "literally impossible" to get to with any tool or any arm in the absence of the speaker holes.

Thanks again for taking time to answer and send the pictures.... this really indeed provided a solution! The pictures helped a lot!

Hole saw time!!

Happy Boating Season!

Joel

ranger098
05-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the answers folks.... I have determined that the answer is "adding speakers" in the front"! LOL My boat only has four speakers in the back, and it is apparent that if I had the two speaker holes in the front that I could easily access the four locations that I cannot get to now. The two upper outboard locations on the front cushion, and the two forward upper locations on the side cushions are "literally impossible" to get to with any tool or any arm in the absence of the speaker holes.

Thanks again for taking time to answer and send the pictures.... this really indeed provided a solution! The pictures helped a lot!

Hole saw time!!

Happy Boating Season!

Joel

Where are you? If you're in MN, ill get my skinny arms up there, guaranteed. HAHA. Another tip, put some Lock-tite on those nuts when you re-install... it sucks if they fall out and you have to put them back in again

parrothd
05-21-2015, 04:15 PM
This last time I used a sawzall to remove the center cushion, jammed a large screw driver between the cushion and gel coat and cut the bolts. Several bolts were rusted in place.. Menard's sells the bolts and the fancy nuts..

jweber
05-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Where are you? If you're in MN, ill get my skinny arms up there, guaranteed. HAHA. Another tip, put some Lock-tite on those nuts when you re-install... it sucks if they fall out and you have to put them back in again

Thanks anyway.... I have a 16 yr old 100 pound kid and he can't even come close to getting his area through the gap for the top nuts.... The gap is literally about an inch and a half so unless you are Tinkerbell there is no reaching these! LOL Some of the nuts were missing already, the cure for that is actually stainless steel nylock lock nuts.

I design, build and drive boats that go over 200 mph... Check out Joel Weber Boat Racing on YouTube. The last boat I drove was in excess of 250 mph, check out Joel Weber Problem Child Top Fuel Hydro on the web or YouTube!

wolfeman131
05-21-2015, 08:27 PM
You going to get the Moomba running 200 mph?

jweber
05-21-2015, 09:38 PM
You going to get the Moomba running 200 mph?

LOL... Only if I could find somebody else to drive it! It would be quite the ride after about 80!

wolfeman131
05-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Did she call you "Joe" at the end there?

BTW, you're crazy! You didn't even look like you had broken a sweat.

EyeStealth
12-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Hoping some of you that were part of this thread see this question.

I have a 2008 Moomba and I removed all the pads and will have all of the vinyl replaced soon.

I am thinking that putting the pads back on is going to be even harder than taking off.

My pads had a combination of studs with lock washer and nut along with screws holding them on.

I am most concerned about how to get the screws back in considering how little space there is. I used a ratcheting box wrench and bit to remove the screws, but I am thinking that installing is going to be much harder. Any advice is appreciated.

Merry Christmas to All.