PDA

View Full Version : New member! Buying a Moomba! Need advice please!

Wakelite
05-20-2015, 07:42 PM
I live in michigan and have been boarding for a little while with a normal 18' open bow with a tower. i out grew that and have been boarding behind my buddies 03 mobius ls for a year and now his supra 21v. i would like to upgrade and have around 30k to spend.
my two options as of right now are
http://www.nisswamarine.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1229457&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

and

http://www.clubroyale.net/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=103309&pov=4237121

obviously one is an 06 and the other an 09. i love to board and also wakesurf. they both have the stock gravity III ballast system. are the hulls different? what do you think of the prices? obviously the cheaper the better, hence the 2006.

thanks for everyones info and hope to be buying one of these this weekend! Thanks!

mmandley
05-21-2015, 12:34 AM
I would lean more towards the 09 OBV because it does have a different hull then the 06. Also the 09 is going to have new systems on it.

Price wise the 09 is a little over priced, Solid 30K is really whats its worth. The LSV would be a better choice if you can find one in your price point, Look for 06 up LSVs they have deeper seating which makes it more comfortable for taller people all day, more room in the boat being 21.5

kaneboats
05-21-2015, 01:17 AM
Hey, just between you and me and keep our voices down. You already outgrew the boat you were running and you are looking at an OBV? Why not jump to one of the top selling wakeboats in the history of boating? If you are not considering the LSV you are selling yourself short. Have a look at this one (worth the ride):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?26198-2007-Moomba-LSV-Blue-White-300-Hours

Don't sell yourself short. Good luck but this could be your future.

trayson
05-21-2015, 01:23 AM
Hey, just between you and me and keep our voices down. You already outgrew the boat you were running and you are looking at an OBV? Why not jump to one of the top selling wakeboats in the history of boating? If you are not considering the LSV you are selling yourself short. Have a look at this one (worth the ride):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?26198-2007-Moomba-LSV-Blue-White-300-Hours

Don't sell yourself short. Good luck but this could be your future.

I have to agree. The LSV that Kane linked with the full exile system and perfect pass is a lot more boat than the other two. Time for a road trip or uship.com

That LSV is sweeeeeet.

sivs1
05-21-2015, 08:21 AM
I love my LSV, so glad I spent the extra cash for it over an OBV.

mjr119
05-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Get the LSV, if you are going to spend 30K you can find some nice LSV's in that price range. Look on craiglist. Dealers are always going to be overpriced and less negotiable because they have overhead blah blah. Just get a certified check and a few thousand cash and go searching on craigslist. Dont be afraid to drive for a good deal and certainly do not be afraid to make someone an offer. Just remember if you are looking at a boat that is 8-10 years old, a bank probably wont finance it, and how many people have 25-30K cash sitting around to spend on a boat? Not many, so use this as a negotiation point.

mjr119
05-21-2015, 08:56 AM
And I say a certified check and cash because if you show up with a certfied check for the full asking price then how would you negotiate??

Never pay full price and if it's a steal dont sleep on it!

mikenehrkorn
05-21-2015, 10:40 AM
That boat that Kane linked seems like a match made in heaven for you. Might be a bit inconvenient to get it but it will be worth the trip!!

spyder
05-21-2015, 10:51 AM
if you can... try to avoid anything with permanent carpet, and try to find something with snap-in carpet.. even if you pull the carpet... believe me, carpet wears out and looks ugly over time..

kaneboats
05-21-2015, 10:59 AM
You can replace carpet with hydroturf for under $300. Get the right hull and do whatever you need to so it's right for you.

CookieMonster
05-21-2015, 11:29 AM
I'll throw in my .02 since I just bought my first inboard just over a month ago. I looked on craigslist and boat trader for a good 4-5 months to find a decent deal. I found an 05 Mobius LSV 8 hours away from my house for $25k with about 300hrs. Overall good condition, ie. no stress cracks, good gel coat, seats in good condition. The previous owner had just put about $5k-6k in WetSounds and they paid $25k for the boat a year ago. I got a check from my bank for the their payoff ($21,400) and brought $3500 in cash. When I test drove the boat it would struggle past 4,000rpm. I pretty much figured it was a bad fuel filter and they hadn't winterized it. I used that to negotiate them down to just the payoff amount; just told them it could be a compression problem and didn't know what it would cost to fix. It's hard from someone to turn down a check for what they owe on something. I think I ended up with a decent deal, wish I would've gotten an 06 or newer for the new hull design, but I didn't know about that at the time. Just don't be too quick to jump on something that isn't a good deal or exactly what you want.

trayson
05-21-2015, 11:35 AM
You can replace carpet with hydroturf for under $300. Get the right hull and do whatever you need to so it's right for you.

Dammit. I'm agreeing with everything Kane's saying on this thread. What the heck is the world coming to?!?!

parrothd
05-21-2015, 11:38 AM
I'd skip the ones you have listed and check out the LSV in the classified, much better boat..

parrothd
05-21-2015, 11:41 AM
And always pay for a marina to inspect with a water test, should be under $200, well worth it. Then ship is uship..:)

996scott
05-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Get the LSV, you wont regret it and it looks to be a very clean boat with a lot of great upgrades.