PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tacoma vs F150

trayson
05-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Okay, let's imagine that my wife is open to the idea of getting a different vehicle... As you all know, her rig is a Ridgeline that has a 5k tow capacity that we're at the limit of. It might be fine, it might not. other than the risk of killing the tranny, the Ridgeline has been fantastic. Never spins a wheel pulling the boat out. can do 45-50mph up the steepest passes at a moderate RPM, can do 60-65+ up the same passes if I throttle it up. Has heated leather seats, digital dual climate control, power rear sliding window, fold up rear seats, and even a trunk under the bed with a tailgate that opens sideways or down. The fuel consumption is great and the Ridgeline drives like an SUV, not a typical truck because it has Independent front AND rear suspension.

But if we did make a change...

Possible Future Vehicle Requirements:

Daily driver for wife with 4WD or AWD to drive in the occasional inclimante weather
Comfortable and practical for the wife to daily drive to work, shopping, etc.
Able to tow the XLV (probably ~5,500 pounds) 10 miles to/from the ramp 2 - 3 times a week during the season
Able to tow the XLV 150 miles to/from lake once or twice a year
Able to tow 35 miles to/from a lake 2 to 3 times a year
Reasonable on Gas (Ridgeline currently gets 14 -16 city and up to 20 hwy)
Looks decent, wife is happy with the asthetics
HEATED Leather Seats. This is pretty much a non-negotiable. We have this on the Ridgeline and wouldn't do without it. It's not fair to push the wife to downgrade features
Reliability is a big plus. The wife has always owned Hondas and while I'm okay with having vehicles that require a lot of care, she doesn't want that.
Would like to have under 40k miles. Ridgeline currently has 33.5k miles so again, not wanting to downgrade and get a high mile truck
Priced $30k to $35k. *maybe* could push to high 30's but that's it. She has about 5k equity in her Ridgeline and after trade/taxes, we need to keep her under $500/mo on a 6 year loan.

Now please keep in mind OUR criteria. I appreciate everyone's insight, but I really don't need the suggestions to buy a full sized diesel 1 ton truck because that's what you might like. We really don't haul anything in the bed, so we'll probably need a tonneau cover to replace the lost trunk that the Ridgeline has. so the bed will be clean and dry, not full of bark dust and gravel.

*also this might not even happen. it's just an idea we're exploring. It could be just as feasible to get an inexpensive tow beater (under $5k). But since the wife is open to at least looking at these two ideas, I'm researching it.

**If the ridgeline had the 6500 pound tow capacity of the Tacoma, it wouldn't even be an issue. we'd simply keep what we have. I think 6,500 should be enough for my needs. No, I won't be winning any speed contests, but I don't drive the boat fast. I'm fine doing 50 to 60 as I go to/from the ramp. So I really don't want to get more truck than we NEED, because "more truck" comes with tradeoffs in parking, fuel, etc. And I wouldn't mind parking the truck in the 3rd bay at some point, which was my plan for the Ridgeline (it takes up the whole 3rd bay)--so that aspect of the Tacoma is appealing; and the F150 probably wouldn't be feasible for that.

I have to say that when I saw this pic of a lifted Tacoma, even I was in love:
(yes, I know it's all XDR photoshopped, but I still seriously dig the look. in fact, if it had heated/leather we'd probably go look at it tonight)
http://images.craigslist.org/00C0C_5hj5uzpYQZK_600x450.jpg

And the F150's not bad looking. this one isn't modified like above, but it does have some nice options (like air conditioned seats).
http://images.craigslist.org/00M0M_bLJkrGMOT3u_600x450.jpg

sivs1
05-18-2015, 06:37 PM
good luck on the search. I just replaced my 2013 RAM 2500 Diesel with a 2015 RAM 1500 Hemi. The Diesel was awesome, but too much truck. Both have the Laramie Trim so decked out, but also both are 50k+ trucks. I see a lot of people towing with Tacoma's but the ride will not compare to the Ridgeline, we have a Pilot.

I was looking at the RAM EcoDiesel, just wouldn't work for me with climbing mountains every where I go, but could be a good option, just not in your budget. The Jeep wrangler unlimited with the 4:10 axle can tow up to 7,500 pounds and can get leather heated seats in those now. Just a ton of options out there, do an advanced search on Cars.com and enter your criteria to see what you get.

patrick232
05-18-2015, 06:41 PM
In that price and spec's I would go full size over the Tacoma. More so for the space and the cost, in our area you pay a premium for the Taco and can get a tundra or other 1/2 cheaper. The best if you can find it is a chevy 1500 LTZ with the 6.2.

trayson
05-18-2015, 06:46 PM
The Jeep wrangler unlimited with the 4:10 axle can tow up to 7,500 pounds and can get leather heated seats in those now.

Are you sure? Those have always been spec'd at 3,500 for the rubicon unlimited, which has the 4.10 gears. so I'd be shocked to see a jump to 7,500?!?!?!

Please show me where you're seeing this...

I'm guessing you're referring to the GRAND CHEROKEE limited???

trayson
05-18-2015, 06:50 PM
In that price and spec's I would go full size over the Tacoma. More so for the space and the cost, in our area you pay a premium for the Taco and can get a tundra or other 1/2 cheaper. The best if you can find it is a chevy 1500 LTZ with the 6.2.

Wife doesn't want a full size, it's the exception to her rule that she's even willing to consider the F150. It's her daily driver. Her money covering her loan and insurance. Her truck = ultimately she has to buy off on it.

Also, we really don't need the space inside the rig. we have one 9 y/o son that is with us about 1/3 of the time. Beyond that, it's me at 5'10 and 165 pounds and the wife who's only 5'3. The vast majority of the time the back seats are empty. I'd rather have more space outside the rig for maneuverability (parking/garage) than inside or in the bed.

sivs1
05-18-2015, 06:52 PM
dealer told me on Friday. I'm going back tomorrow so will ask about it, see if they have that spec in writing somewhere.

trayson
05-18-2015, 07:00 PM
dealer told me on Friday. I'm going back tomorrow so will ask about it, see if they have that spec in writing somewhere.

I'd love to see it if they pulled that off. I mean, I'm a diehard Jeep fan and the wife loves them too. I just don't see them pulling that one off. And jeep is real forthcoming about their tow specs on their website:

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/towing/#WranglerUnlimited2Tab*

Hell, if they made a Wrangler Unlimited with 7,500 pounds of towing, we'd just get a brand new Rubicon! hahaha!

trayson
05-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Have you considered looking for a VW Touareg turbo diesel.

Wife wouldn't be interested in that.

And the irony is quite amusing... Nice first post.

Klos
05-18-2015, 08:46 PM
I tow my outback v with my 2014 Ford F-150 fx4 with the ecoboost and it pulls it with ease. Way more power then my 08 f150 with the 5.4 had.

mmandley
05-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Ridgeline / Tacoma? Potatoe Patatoe

They are honestly in the same category. Your really not gaining anything with the Tacoma, if your wife is that happy with the Ridgeline then don't waste your money to buy a different vehicle with a higher, longer, or just a payment to begin with.

I personally NEVER see a Tacoma pulling a large boat, I see people buy a Tundra and pull the boat but not a Tacoma, this is still in the small truck family.

moombadaze
05-18-2015, 09:27 PM
I just dont see the taco as being that better of a tow vehicle myself. Dont rush, she likes her ridgeline, I'd keep an eye out for a dedicated tow vehicle, maybe a older grand cherokee with a V8 2wd, should be able to find a non 4x4 up your way cheap as most would want the 4x4 for winter driving

moombadaze
05-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Mike come back to florida for a visit and you will, saw a guy towing a 22 ft cuddy style fishing boat, 250hp outboard,double axle trailer with a Toyota highlander the other day. Poor vehicles ass was dragging

trayson
05-18-2015, 09:34 PM
Ridgeline / Tacoma? Potatoe Patatoe

They are honestly in the same category. Your really not gaining anything with the Tacoma, if your wife is that happy with the Ridgeline then don't waste your money to buy a different vehicle with a higher, longer, or just a payment to begin with.

I personally NEVER see a Tacoma pulling a large boat, I see people buy a Tundra and pull the boat but not a Tacoma, this is still in the small truck family.

Well, the difference is 5000 pounds tow capacity (Ridgeline) vs. 6500 pound tow capacity. so while you might see them the same, the specs are different enough to not honestly be in the same category on ratings.

Did you read my stuff? My wife IS that happy with the Ridgeline and the only reason we're even considering a change is because we're leery of the transmission on the Ridgeline being a weak point and causing the 5000 pound tow rating.

I figure a lot of people won't understand our desire to not have a bigger truck than we need. All those trucks with the big tow capacities have big outsides, and that means they're harder to maneuver, harder to park, harder or impossible to fit in the garage. Cindy and I aren't big people that need a lot of interior space. we only have our 55 pound 9 y/o 1/3 of the time. The vast majority of the time the bed and back seat of the Ridgeline are empty. it drives 8 miles to/from her office and to the grocery store 85% of the time. Our towing is 10 miles to/from the launch a couple times a week. 2 or 3 times a year we might go 35 miles to the lake. one trip a year to Hagg lake for Wake the world @ 50 miles each way. one 150 mile trip to lake billy. So honestly not a lot of towing.

I know the general consensus is probably "get more truck than you ever think you'll need" but I really don't want to have a giant truck that we can't park, maneuver, or fit anywhere. That's why I asked to keep in mind my goals and priorities.

I dunno. maybe there isn't a right answer. Life is about tradeoff's and I want just enough truck that I don't have the negatives of a big one.

brain_rinse
05-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Jeep Grand Cherokee

trayson
05-18-2015, 09:40 PM
I just dont see the taco as being that better of a tow vehicle myself. Dont rush, she likes her ridgeline, I'd keep an eye out for a dedicated tow vehicle, maybe a older grand cherokee with a V8 2wd, should be able to find a non 4x4 up your way cheap as most would want the 4x4 for winter driving

I thought about getting a dedicated tow beater. Adding another insurance payment, another parking spot taken up, another vehicle to maintain, another rig to pay licensing on... I really thought about it and was researching 1st gen Durangos that could be had for under $5k with a 7k tow rating. But we've already got 4 vehicles and a motorcycle for the 2 of us and are looking to thin out the herd, not add to it. Plus, having a dedicated tow beater that just sits all winter long while the boat's winterized isn't an attractive option for here. Even being aggressive, the boat sits for 5 months a year.

mmandley
05-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Maybe you misread my post, I was basically saying your fine in your Ridgeline vs a Tacoma. it also sounds like only a couple years of the Tacoma follow that spec the 15 I just looked at said 3500.

Also they are in the same category, they are both less then 1/2 ton trucks, they both have the same size breaks, and such. Tow Capacity difference might be the fact the Tacoma isn't as heavy as the Ridgeline.

I am actually saying if I was you, and a 1/2 truck was not really in your liking then might as well stay with the Ridgeline. If the trans goes then have it rebuilt for a couple Gs and bullet proof it.

trayson
05-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Maybe you misread my post, I was basically saying your fine in your Ridgeline vs a Tacoma. it also sounds like only a couple years of the Tacoma follow that spec the 15 I just looked at said 3500.

Also they are in the same category, they are both less then 1/2 ton trucks, they both have the same size breaks, and such. Tow Capacity difference might be the fact the Tacoma isn't as heavy as the Ridgeline.

I am actually saying if I was you, and a 1/2 truck was not really in your liking then might as well stay with the Ridgeline. If the trans goes then have it rebuilt for a couple Gs and bullet proof it.

Maybe I don't understand transmissions well enough. Let's say that the Ridgeline tranny took a dump. If it was rebuilt, what could possibly be done to make it more robust??? Maybe Stacey could chime in on that.

Because yes, if the Ridgeline transmission wasn't a concern, there'd be no reason to be considering shopping for something different because we're basically happy with all the other aspects of it.

trayson
05-18-2015, 10:09 PM
I think you really should try to talk your wife into a touareg because its actually smaller then the ridgeine and tows about 2700 pounds more then then it plus it seem's like the touareg would fit you and your life's needs perfectly.

You're hilarious. I get it. Post one silly video (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?26005-Another-old-vid-VW-Touareg-vs-Full-Size-Duramax-Diesel) to the off topic section and this is what happens.

I don't even like touaregs. I've never wanted to own one. I certainly wouldn't want to maintain one. Do I think it's cool that they made one? Sure. Do I think G-wagons are interesting and unique? yep. I think that Range Rovers and Land Rovers are cool rigs too. Wouldn't own either of those. The wife likes her Honda reliability that she's had over the years. She doesn't want a Euro car or SUV.

In all honesty, I'm not even super excited about having a typical SUV, even if it does haul the boat well. We've already got our Audi wagon and that has a ton of capacity with the seats down. The Ridgeline was unique in that it was SUV-like but had a small truck bed for those occasional things that wouldn't fit in a wagon or SUV (like our washer/dryer). So I guess that's why I'm not rushing towards the Grand Cherokee or something like a tahoe or durango.

mmandley
05-18-2015, 10:18 PM
For transmissions you can get better clutches, Kevlar, stainless steel internals and things like that.

When I had my Z28 I blew the trans after the engine rebuild. Had Kevlar bands and stainless steel shafts installed.

Tis us also what diesel owners do after they build the engines to make all that crazy power.

For your case I just don't think you need to trade in. I know your wife likes her car.

Also having a tow rig sit all winter like the boat sues and then ask it to tow is inviting breakdowns when towing.

Ian Brantford
05-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Well, the difference is 5000 pounds tow capacity (Ridgeline) vs. 6500 pound tow capacity. so while you might see them the same, the specs are different enough to not honestly be in the same category on ratings.

Howdy. Given the rating inflation that has historically happened with makers of body-on-frame trucks, I would be skeptical of the 6500 lb rating for the Tacoma. Did anyone believe that the old Ranger could safely tow over 7000 lbs with a tow package? I didn't think so.

Here is a fuller explanation of rating inflation, along with the new towing standard that the manufacturers supported until they realised how embarrassing it would be until they could redesign new generations of trucks.
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/trailer-tow-rating-standards/
For more updated information, google "SAE J2807".

I too was skeptical of the Ridgeline. Then I did my homework and found many other owners who towed right at the limit for thousands or tens of thousands of miles, often through mountains, with no problem. The consensus in the Ridgeline Owners Club is that Honda is very conservative about its ratings, removing the need to apply one's grandfather's "only tow 80% of the rating" rule of thumb.

After purchasing a Ridgeline, I did an extensive test against my father's late 1990's Silverado, switching the XLV around and trying various acceleration, braking, and simulated emergency manoeuvers. They were remarkably similar.

Actually, I pushed the Ridgeline a bit harder in simulated emergencies. I was never able to break loose that rear independent suspension, much less send the truck and trailer on the "wild ride" that you can get with an underqualified traditional body-on-frame truck. The suspension is super stable and the extremely rigid unibody welded to the ladder frame doesn't transmit waves of flex.

I have been towing using the Ridgeline ever since, usually just a few times a year for 50-100 miles at a time. The only issue has been a bad axle on the trailer. The truck hasn't faltered.

Did you read my stuff? My wife IS that happy with the Ridgeline and the only reason we're even considering a change is because we're leery of the transmission on the Ridgeline being a weak point and causing the 5000 pound tow rating.

Do you have any objective information to support this fear, apparently of transmission failure? I can see it being a problem for the couple of tuners who might try to put a supercharger or turbocharger into a Ridgeline, increasing the torque through the system. That's not the same as applying a heavy load -- the stock engine will not send more torque to the transmission in response, and the transmission is designed to handle the engine's maximum output under load.

trayson
05-18-2015, 11:07 PM
Do you have any objective information to support this fear, apparently of transmission failure? I can see it being a problem for the couple of tuners who might try to put a supercharger or turbocharger into a Ridgeline, increasing the torque through the system. That's not the same as applying a heavy load -- the stock engine will not send more torque to the transmission in response, and the transmission is designed to handle the engine's maximum output under load.

I sent you a PM with the full story, but the short version is that one time backing uphill into its parking spot I had a perfect storm of things happen & the trans temp light came on and the fluid smelled bad. So yeah, that freaked me out.

That Guy
05-18-2015, 11:59 PM
I'll be honest...I didn't read the entire thread, BUT....

1. My wife daily drives the F-150 and her car we traded in on this was a 2011 Audi A3...BIG difference in size.
2. Back up camera and parking sensors make it easy to park nearly anywhere.
3. Definitely can tow it.
4. MPG's....on my wife's 7 mile commute that is all city she averages 16.2-16.8 mpg, like EVERY time. On the highway I've seen a hair over 20mpg if I kepe it at 70mph or under and it's not crazy loaded down. I usually go 75-80 however and on road trips we pack a lot of sheeeeet, so 18-19mpg is our usually. I hand calculate at every fill up but the dash readout is pretty darn accurate.
5. HEATED Leather Seats - definitely an option, or fairly easy to add aftermarket and I KNOW you're handy. Buy a pair of heated seats on Amazon for $75 and get Klazzio or the like leather seat covers for $500ish...they honestly look factory and fit great, just an FYI.
6. My fords have always been reliabile.... *knocks on wood*
7. We bought our 2014 F-150 for under $32k NEW. It's an STX Sport model, 4wd, v8. No leather/heated seats but plenty of other nice options like 20" wheels, tow package, back up camera, remote start, bedliner, fogs, sync, etc. Very nicely equipped and looks great IMO and we didn't want leather/etc in a "truck".

Pics of our truck...;) https://flic.kr/p/o18kWZ

beat taco
05-19-2015, 01:53 AM
My handle is beat taco. I know plenty about Tacoma's. Torched the front end off mine long before it was a thing and put a Waggy 44 under it. The tranny is bomb proof. I did blow up my motor for no apparent reason but that's another story. The Honda tranny is a pile, very well documented. Search "flashing D Honda." Going with the boat was never the issue in the Tacoma. Stopping was. Is it better than a Ridgeline, yes, considerably. It's narrower by about 6" which makes it feel much more cramped. But yes it will work. Like Mike said however it is still undersized and when you're rolling down the freeway and traffic in front of you instantly stops you will have your hands full. There's definitely more confidence pulling with a full size rig. I would buy a F150 but not a used ecoboost. Get a 5.0.

sandm
05-19-2015, 08:15 AM
perhaps the colorado? not much of a chevy fan but my neighbor just bought an offroad zr2 excab and it's a pretty nice looking rig.
I see max tow ratings at 7000 and if you look around 3/4 way down the page, It shows one towing a moomba :) even though they forgot to put the tower up....
lots of smacktalk how this rig is better than the taco so do have to wade thru the crap.

http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado-small-truck.html
do like this one...

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicles/Trucks%20and%20Vans/2015_Colorado/Model_Overview/01_images/2015-chevrolet-colorado-mid-size-truck-mo-ZR2-648x316-01.jpg

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicles/Trucks%20and%20Vans/2015_Colorado/Model_Overview/01_images/2015-chevrolet-colorado-mid-size-truck-mo-performance-1480x551-01.jpg

moombadaze
05-19-2015, 08:19 AM
Trason, after rethinking what you really need, it really sounds like Tacoma will fit your bill. I really think I would have one myself for my 2.0 mile drive to our ramp except I would not like to tow with it on our 9 hr trips, and if your not doing that, you don't need the space of a full size, headache of garage parking, wifes comute, payment, then go Tacoma. you may want to see if you can beg, borrow one and take if for a tow test drive before buying

CookieMonster
05-19-2015, 08:31 AM
Trayson, speaking from experience, I love my Tacoma. If I didn't, I wouldn't have bought my Moomba because I decided to go with a boat rather than a new truck after I paid it off. I only have a 1 mile tow to the ramp, but the surge brakes help make stopping a non issue. It's got plenty power, the only thing I'd recommend is getting some type of side mirror extensions, I can't see around the boat. Plus the Tacoma will last longer than pretty much any truck on the market, not much dispute on that fact.

maxpower220
05-19-2015, 08:50 AM
If you get a new vehicle, Back up camera is a mandatory item. No truck should be without one.

If you are happy with the Ridgeline, then keep it. A rebuilt tranny is a lot cheaper than any newer truck. That is, if it ever needs one.

As far as Taco vs F150, there's no comparison. The F150 is better in every way. Look at the new 2.7EB. Better gas mileage than the Taco, and tow any boat you could ever buy.

jmvotto
05-19-2015, 09:16 AM
trannys will go on most vehicle around 80,00 to 100k miles anyhow, so its just part of the budget , hopefully its all part of warranty.

CookieMonster
05-19-2015, 09:39 AM
If you get a new vehicle, Back up camera is a mandatory item. No truck should be without one.

If you are happy with the Ridgeline, then keep it. A rebuilt tranny is a lot cheaper than any newer truck. That is, if it ever needs one.

As far as Taco vs F150, there's no comparison. The F150 is better in every way. Look at the new 2.7EB. Better gas mileage than the Taco, and tow any boat you could ever buy.

I'd say "better" is a relative term. I'm not bashing the F150, I love them, a lot of my friends have them; but there is no doubt a Taco will outlast an ecoboost. My taco is 8 years old, never had a major mechanical problem, my friend has a 2013 EB and has had it in for warranty work multiple times. Turbos= a lot a maintenance.

trayson
05-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone. lots to think about.

I guess no need to be in a huge hurry to make a change. If we do anything we'll have to try and drive the options and see what makes the most sense for us.

Thanks for all the insight and first hand experience.

KG's Supra24
05-19-2015, 12:02 PM
I'm late to the party but kinda lean towards Mike's comments( :o shocking, i know) .... Don't see you gaining much going from Honda to Tacoma.

I've learned something, though ... Beat Taco is a tacoma guy ... not just a dirty moniker like I had thought. lmao.

trayson
05-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Don't see you gaining much going from Honda to Tacoma.

You're exactly right. the "gain" would be a tranny that can handle 1500 more pounds of towing and the ability to add airbags to the rear coils if desired to help with sag. It'd basically just having that midsized truck that I with the ridgeline was--that tiny bit more.

The F150 would be a full step up. So it's kind of apples to oranges, but I'll have to decide if I need an orange or if an apple is good enough.

beat taco
05-19-2015, 12:37 PM
The Aisin transmission is bomb proof and the only thing I couldn't kill on my Taco. After I destroyed that truck to the point of no return most of the drive trane got transplanted into a Taco with 410,000 miles. It's got 560,000 now on the original transmission.

BamaMojo
05-19-2015, 02:04 PM
I tow my outback v with my 2014 Ford F-150 fx4 with the ecoboost and it pulls it with ease. Way more power then my 08 f150 with the 5.4 had.

Bingo! Same here too. Love the ecoboost power. If you can find one with the 3.55 rear end ( I think) . It would exceed your current fuel economy.

2012 Mojo

Klos
05-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Bingo! Same here too. Love the ecoboost power. If you can find one with the 3.55 rear end ( I think) . It would exceed your current fuel economy.

2012 Mojo

Those are the gears mine has. Love this truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivs1
05-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Are you sure? Those have always been spec'd at 3,500 for the rubicon unlimited, which has the 4.10 gears. so I'd be shocked to see a jump to 7,500?!?!?!

Please show me where you're seeing this...

I'm guessing you're referring to the GRAND CHEROKEE limited???

Confirmed today, guy I was speaking was smoking something other than just his e-cig.... 3,500 is what Jeep states and what two other guys at the dealership confirmed. Rumor mill is that the 3.0 EcoDiesel might find it's way into a Wrangler soon.

brain_rinse
05-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Confirmed today, guy I was speaking was smoking something other than just his e-cig.... 3,500 is what Jeep states and what two other guys at the dealership confirmed. Rumor mill is that the 3.0 EcoDiesel might find it's way into a Wrangler soon.
I'm waiting patiently for my next Wrangler. Assuming the diesel bumps the towing capacity considerably, I'm a buyer.

zabooda
05-19-2015, 03:44 PM

They've been talking diesel for the last decade as they have it in Europe. When they come out with it, be prepared to stand in line as the die-hard off roaders have been waiting and it seems like the pavement off roaders are buying the Wranglers a lot now.

sivs1
05-19-2015, 04:00 PM
I just bought a 2015 Ram with a Hemi, sold my 2013 Ram Cummins. was actually excited to drive the Ram EcoDiesel. It's all low speed power, highway speeds just lost any get up and go. Needless to say I was disappointed.

CookieMonster
05-19-2015, 05:53 PM
I just bought a 2015 Ram with a Hemi, sold my 2013 Ram Cummins. was actually excited to drive the Ram EcoDiesel. It's all low speed power, highway speeds just lost any get up and go. Needless to say I was disappointed.

Yea, that's what sucks about all the 1500 diesels coming out. A typical diesel is mostly low-end torque, but you could always install a programmer, exhaust, intake, ect. unleash the demon. With all the new environmental regulations and possible fines for DPF deletes it makes it difficult to get the power you want out of them. Hell, if they came out with a 6.7 Cummins powered Tacoma I'd buy it that day.

beat taco
05-20-2015, 01:12 AM
Ecodiesel might be the only engine blowing faster than Ecoboosts these days.

rdlangston13
05-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Ecodiesel might be the only engine blowing faster than Ecoboosts these days.

Ecoboosts are blowing? Everyone I know that has one has been "blown away" by the performance but no one has been blowing them up.

Sent from my iPhone

beat taco
05-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Ecoboosts are blowing? Everyone I know that has one has been "blown away" by the performance but no one has been blowing them up.

Sent from my iPhone
Oh they pop, so does the ecodiesel.
Funny thing is about 12 popped end of April last year, then other than a couple until this April, 14 more let go. That I know of, the fact that engines were back ordered tells me there must be more.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/1790fe7318fc4c6bcd6d44defb122473.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/ae5c3d1a46f145ab150b9df92c9f75a7.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/94cad027565265358ae2dd00d9ca420c.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/179070198c60ae12c8f19c34ed384548.jpg

beat taco
05-20-2015, 11:42 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/0114c6150dbdffc52f15eefc087221b2.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/ef7387ccf6f14c123104f48f4b00a210.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/68492976a628ac42b0c7dce2631f4933.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/36fcb1f27cc1ff0f024d9a9c5d68f1b8.jpg

that's just a few of the pics I've seen.

trayson
05-20-2015, 11:43 AM
^^^^ are those stock, or are they flashed to push the turbos harder?

beat taco
05-20-2015, 12:27 PM
^^^^ are those stock, or are they flashed to push the turbos harder?
It's 50/50. They fail the same way. From what I've seen and read it's either water ingestion from condensation/sludge building up in the CAC or sticking injectors both causing hydrolock. Some could be poorly casted parts too I guess. They also have a known issue stretching timing chains which is another costly repair. They are great motors and compared to number of Ecoboosts on the road these failures represent a very small percentage of them. But it's not something I would recommend buying used.

kaneboats
05-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Wow! Those are some scary pics.

wolfeman131
05-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Oh they pop, so does the ecodiesel.
Funny thing is about 12 popped end of April last year, then other than a couple until this April, 14 more let go. That I know of, the fact that engines were back ordered tells me there must be more.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/1790fe7318fc4c6bcd6d44defb122473.jpg

kinda ironic vanity plate

mmandley
05-20-2015, 03:13 PM
I know pre 13 it was very common to have issues with the Inter-cooler, lots of TBC for water buildup. Water buildup is never good in an engine. 13 models took care of this, if you listen when you start it up you can here the turbo vanes cycle open and closed to add boost through the inter cooler to make sure no water is present.

Also a lot of people Chip them, add different CAI on them and get great power out of them. The problem is the engines really are not designed to be modified from the factory. They are already modified to the safe limit of the engine.

People who modify them <just like diesels> do the easy stuff, intake, exhaust, programmer. They don't go back and change the head studs, turbos, fuel delivery, systems.

While I am guilty of modding both my diesels the cheaper way, I paid the price on both, 6.0 oil cooler was clogging and was begging for 5k in repairs, then my 6.4 blew all the lower oil seals and oil pump which was closer to 7-10K in repairs.

I always take complainers of engines, no matter the make and model with a bottle of salt, most like the quick and easy power, then cry when they have to pay the piper for there actions.

uniwarking
05-20-2015, 11:41 PM
I think it's fair to say that all engines/vehicles suffer some failure rate, so posting pictures of failures really shouldn't deter anyone. The F150 Ecoboost can keep up with some of the biggest V8's, I've been more than happy with the power. There is a TSB for the CAC issue on the earlier Eco's, which I've had performed. In all honestly, it took some really specific conditions to occur... very long driving periods in very humid conditions and then very fast acceleration. My truck is all stock with near 70k miles, I know many that have tuned their trucks as well with no issues. It wont tow as well as a 3/4 or 1 ton truck... but it isn't one either.

I've had a couple warranty issues with mine, minor, but they've been taken care of. My only complaint is that I didn't get a few options I now wish I had.

Per the thread title... F150 vs. Tacoma... there isn't really a comparison here as the F150 will destroy the Tacoma in every category except in size where the Tacoma is far smaller (not sure this is good for a tow vehicle). In any case, it's your preference that matters in the end.

trayson
05-21-2015, 01:08 AM
My only complaint is that I didn't get a few options I now wish I had.

And what might those options be?

I know if we got an F150 we would most certainly want the heated/cooled leather. Step tubes on the sides. Tonneau cover. Backup cam.

beat taco
05-21-2015, 01:47 AM
You want an Fx4, lariat, or platinum. On the fx4 you want the luxury package.

uniwarking
05-21-2015, 07:53 AM
I got the XLT, but it was fairly loaded. I got cloth but wish I'd gotten the leather and I think folding mirrors would have been super handy. The rear view camera, Ecoboost and Sync are a must. The premium stereo still isn't that great so I'm guessing you'll want to plan for an upgrade there. My next one will probably be a higher trim level... maybe a Lariat. I was not a huge fan of the FX4 style prior to '15, I didn't care a lot for the racing stripe thingy.

The rear locking diff is a nice to have item (though I've yet to really need it), and I enjoy the opening rear window. There are a bunch of other good features and I'm not super familiar with all of the '15 additions.

mmandley
05-21-2015, 10:17 AM
You can get the FX4 without the Stickers on the side. Thats actually the FX4 Appearance package and gives you the stickers plus red seat pipping, red lettering on the truck.

Mine was an FX4 with the Luxury Package, and Tow Package, just didn't have the tow mirrors.

Some really nice towing features it had was the locking diff, really nice at the ramp for extra traction, hill start assist, apply the brakes for 3 seconds after you release to keep it from rolling back wards, and hill decent, allows you to preset the speed to 10-20mph and it will auto apply the brakes, down shift, everything. Works decent but will release if the hill is too steep. We found that out at LBC lol.

I mainly got the FX4 for the black out of the bumpers, mirrors, lights.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/New%20Eco/20131212_110057_zps273d7702.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/New%20Eco/20131212_110057_zps273d7702.jpg.html)

beat taco
05-21-2015, 10:52 AM
I would say 8" touch screen is a must. If you get the 4.2" non touch screen the back up camera was on the rear view mirror until '14 (in '14 it went to the screen) vs. The camera was on the 8" touch screen all years.
I would definitely decide if I wanted tow mirrors before choosing one, the standard mirrors are quite large and power folding/heated with the luxury package, the towing mirrors do the same plus power extend on the luxury package.
Luxury package gets power extending pedals, heated/cooled seats, power seats with drivers memory, remote start, and some other stuff. Options beyond that would be navigation (8" screen doesn't mean you have nav), sunroof, and appearance package on the fx4 Mike mentioned.
The Lariat and platinum (even the King Ranch) all have nicer interior touches than the Fx4 however nicer can be relative I actually liked the rubber console cover on the fx4 vs. Lariat's leather cover and I wasn't a fan of the plastic color in lariat vs. Fx4 silver.
You need to check them all out, platinum had a interior led kit with light up cup holders and door sills but that's an easy cheap add so if you get one that doesn't have it I'll hook you up with a link. Also if one doesn't have nav but does have the 8" screen you can get the top of the line lockpick device for $260 and display anything on your smartphone on the screen, no wires all through blue tooth. Plus unlock some other cool features.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/21/9c42fb9f71c85fbc0106831f70376837.jpg

Pic of a lariat interior with led kit

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/21/45635a77ede800c44ba09f757b9109c0.jpg

sivs1
05-21-2015, 11:05 AM
2015 RAM 1500, you could actually lease one and stay under your $500/mo. mark. This is all stock, but loaded, 8.4 screen with backup camera, air bags, front and rear sensors.

uniwarking
05-21-2015, 02:01 PM
2015 RAM 1500, you could actually lease one and stay under your $500/mo. mark. This is all stock, but loaded, 8.4 screen with backup camera, air bags, front and rear sensors.

Yep, if you're ok with buying a FIAT this is an option 😜

mmandley
05-21-2015, 11:37 PM
Yep, if you're ok with buying a FIAT this is an option ��

I don't understand

wolfeman131
05-21-2015, 11:55 PM
I don't understand

Fiat bought Chrysler:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/driveon/2014/01/21/done-deal-fiat-now-owns-all-of-chrysler/4718529/

beat taco
05-22-2015, 12:12 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/21/e15be35b891b174dd41cee7177be2640.jpg

mmandley
05-22-2015, 05:08 AM
Fiat bought Chrysler:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/driveon/2014/01/21/done-deal-fiat-now-owns-all-of-chrysler/4718529/

Well who knows maybe we can get some Ferrari and Maserati styling now since Fiat owns them as well.

uniwarking
05-22-2015, 08:07 AM
Sorry guys, RAM makes a nice pickup... just have to get that FIAT jab in. They are a direct competitor of my employer, as they own CNH as well. I always tease my buddies about driving red and blue RAMS... CaseIH and New Holland.

mmandley
05-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Sorry guys, RAM makes a nice pickup... just have to get that FIAT jab in. They are a direct competitor of my employer, as they own CNH as well. I always tease my buddies about driving red and blue RAMS... CaseIH and New Holland.

All good brutha, I really try not to hate on any specific vehicles even though I have my clear favorites.

Like I have said before, I have always loved Ford Trucks and I always will.

But hands down my Ram is way nicer then any of my Fords have been.

I love the way a Chevy looks, great looking trucks but I just don't like the interior and this keeps me from buying them.

New Guy
05-23-2015, 09:46 AM

Who do you work for? I would assume an ag dealer?

patrick232
05-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Who do you work for? I would assume an ag dealer?

Base on his location, I would say he works for John Deere

trayson
06-19-2015, 04:14 PM
It's official. Goodbye Ridgeline, Hello F150 FX4 Ecoboost!!!

And yes, it's the WIFE's truck.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5Z8BmiHQHDc/VYR3iwqcH3I/AAAAAAAAZcM/GCMvobYbIiA/s800/20150619_073716.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MJrTQAtFTNA/VYR2hU3sFkI/AAAAAAAAZbE/3mPQ0ZaGsS0/s800/20150619_121726.jpg

mikenehrkorn
06-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Did they throw in a step ladder she can use to get in it?!?!? :)

Just kidding, very nice ride and should handle all your towing needs!!

trayson
06-19-2015, 05:02 PM
what's the Gear Ratio on the truck? So with the bigger truck do have plans to ever take the boat to either Lake Shasta or Lake Tahoe.

It has the 3.55 gears. I've heard some people are just fine with their 3.55 ecoboost on 35's and others feel like they need lower. so we'll just see how it goes.

I've always dreamed about doing a Shasta trip. We'll just see. I think we'd need a tow rig gas fund to justify the long road trip! But it's sure going to make the couple trips this summer where we're doing 3+ hour drives a lot easier.

trayson
06-19-2015, 05:25 PM
So does it have a backup camera and have you gotten the right ball mount for it yet to tow the boat.

Yeah, it has the backup cam (the nice one with the full Navigation system). It's pretty damn loaded. remote start, Bluetooth, usb, adjustable pedals, heated/cooled seats, power folding mirrors, locking diff, hill decent, hill start, and more...

I bought it from a fellow skiers choice owner who used it to tow his SE450 and he used a 6" drop and he gave me that ballmount with the truck. So hopefully that will be the right setup. I also have an adjustable one if all else fails.

trayson
06-19-2015, 05:37 PM
Plan to tow with it this weekend.

Well, we traded in the Ridgeline, so it's most definitely the new tow rig! we're going out tomorrow. And sunday! and Monday! and...

mmandley
06-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Good looking Rig Trayson.

Couple things on it.
Taller gears is what you would want lol. 373-410 but Honestly I think you will be fine with the 3.55. Towing you will want to use Tow Haul mode, and probably set it in manual mode on 5 so it locks out 6th gear. Truck has plenty of power to tow, but expect 9mpg most of the time.

Locking Diff only works below 30 mph so its only good for helping to pull the boat out of the river, I always use 4x4 to pull the boat out of the water.

Hill Decent only works 20mph and slower, you turn it on when under 20, but if the hill is too steep, it will over drive the hill decent and release it, so be prepared.

Sway control only works if you are hauling a really large load and it torques the truck enough to engage it, other wise its for electric brake trailers and it pulses the trailer brakes to help stop the sway.

Hill start is a Legit option I always loved that, when you stop on a hill it engages automatically, even when not towing a trailer. Then releases at 5 seconds or when you move forward.

I also still have that Roadmaster kit if your interested.

Good looking truck man, glad to see you finally get a real tow truck.

sivs1
06-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Good looking Truck, good luck with it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

TheDude
06-22-2015, 06:28 AM
Enjoy the new ride! I was going to offer my choice of Hemi GC, but you're already there.