PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Replacement

mjr119
05-18-2015, 12:14 PM
I am considering taking my boat in to the local marine shop to be serviced. But then again I am a DIYer at heart and I am tempted to do this myself.

I think the alternator is on its way out. I am only getting 12.5 to 13 volts max at cruising speeds (on the gauge). If I test the output with a voltmeter what should it read? Dead on 14? Over 14? Can I test it at the battery? Or does it need to be at the alternator?

How hard is it to replace the alternator on my 2003 LSV gravity games with the indmar assault (w/ red flame arrestor)?

Someone mentioned that the alternator probably has its own belt separate from the main belt. Is this 100% certain? I looked late last night and it seemed to be only 1 belt. It was difficult for me to see for sure.

Also, Im not really looking to upgrade my alternator output, I do not run an elaborate stereo system or lights. So I think a good stock alternator would suit my needs just fine. I would be okay with an upgrade if I did not have to run a larger wire or breaker.

Any advice? Maybe a link to a thread that shows step by step on how to replace the alternator?

Thanks!

mmandley
05-18-2015, 03:10 PM
You can test the Alternator voltage at the battery. You should test the battery at rest, then when the engine is running it should be showing a solid 14 as this is the incoming charge.

Even at Idle the alternator will produce 14V it just won't produce max amperage.

To change it, isn't to hard. Should have a tension bolt on the bracket, this will be a bracket with a slide adjust for tension. Then it will have a second bolt that normally goes the length of the alternator and bolts to the head of the engine. This is the one holding the bulk of the weight. When you remove the adjustable bolt the alternator should slide in 1 direction to allow the belt to loosen and be removed.

This is the exact opposite how to tighten the belt. You pull the alternator to tighten the belt.

On the back of the alternator will be a couple wires, normally 1 nut hols them on. Also disconnect the battery.

If your new Alternator doesn't have a pulley attached to the front you will need to remove your old pulley. Some are with a bolt in the middle, best done with Air Tools. Some are pressed on. Most have the Allen head bolt and you use an impact gun to zip it off and back on.

Other then that pretty straight forward. You can find a multitude of You Tube DIY alternators for cars and trucks. Just look up something for a small block chevy. It will give you the general idea.

beat taco
05-19-2015, 02:03 AM
Drop the entire alternator bracket, simple job I do every year usually at the lake.

ian ashton
05-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Drop the entire alternator bracket, simple job I do every year usually at the lake.

You go through an alternator every year?

mjr119
05-19-2015, 08:20 AM
In the manual it says 12-14 is normal. I just want to test it with a voltmeter and not trust the gauge.

beat taco
05-19-2015, 12:23 PM
You go through an alternator every year?
Only the last two years, just happened to occur on the same trip. I knew the DB electrical alternator was a pos when I pulled it out of the box. Didn't even last a year. I'll see how long the Napa one I bought lasts since it was my only option in the small town of Madras Oregon where we were on vacation.

mjr119
05-19-2015, 12:57 PM
So which alternator should I go with if I do decide to replace it?

beat taco
05-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Get yours rebuilt or buy one from skidim. Big money but should last another 12 years.

newty
05-21-2015, 12:26 AM
I've got one that's got less than 100hrs on it that basically brand new. Pulled it out to put a 160 amp in. Pm me if interested.