PDA

View Full Version : It could have been worse

Gmark
05-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Well, It happened. I ran over my mainline on Saturday. It of course got caught up in the prop. Thanks to the advice of those on this forum I was prepared with a floating knife and a pair of goggles. If not, rather than just feeling like a dumbass and wasting $100 I would have really ruined the day for everyone. Thanks for the tip. For those who don't have these items, I encourage you to make a point of adding them ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcdye
05-18-2015, 08:01 AM
I have the same in my tool bag. So far I have not had to use them.

ColoradoLake19
05-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the head's up Chris! I just ordered a floating knife off amazon to keep in the boat so if this happens to us we will be prepared!

deerfield
05-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Colorado - Imperative that you also have goggles. Inexpensive pair costing $5 will do the job. - Deerfield

Thanks for the head's up Chris! I just ordered a floating knife off amazon to keep in the boat so if this happens to us we will be prepared!

supervol0509
05-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Been there. Buddy ran over my rope, first time I was ever towed behind my boat. Luckily had a utility knife. Have added goggles since. Tried for over an hour to get it unraveled, but eventually had to cut it.

motosno963
05-18-2015, 12:46 PM
i have done it, but without goggles.. had to feel your way under the boat..not a fun time...

zabooda
05-18-2015, 02:24 PM
You must always carry a knife and goggles. A friend just about bashed up his new Malibu after getting a rope caught up on the prop and subsequently floated down the Snake River during spring high flow and missing a buoy by about 6 inches. I told him the night before at the campfire to have that equipment on board. I was on board the boat when it happened and we had time to guess on the probability of crashing into the buoy. Eventually, I told him does he feel lucky and if not then he will need to motor out regardless of the rope wrapped around the prop and shaft. He got lucky and he eventually waved a boat down that had a knife. It was more enjoyable seeing him dive under the boat in 55 degree water. I was observing all of this from a nice cushy seat as there was nothing anyone besides the captain could do.

rdlangston13
05-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Not proud to say that I have been there twice without goggles. I even bought some before the second incident but for some reason they are STILL in the back seat of my truck. Regardless, in our water goggles or no goggles you have to feel your way around. Only benefit goggles have is they prevent the dreaded water up the nose.

mjr119
05-18-2015, 03:08 PM
I had this happen to me o nmy first boat, 2000 sunsetter. I had to swim underneath and cut the rope out without goggles! Goggles would not help in the lake I live on. The water is extremely muddy. The worst part was my fear of the engine suddenly starting up and wrapping me up in the rope just enough to drown!

trayson
05-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Not proud to say that I have been there twice without goggles. I even bought some before the second incident but for some reason they are STILL in the back seat of my truck. Regardless, in our water goggles or no goggles you have to feel your way around. Only benefit goggles have is they prevent the dreaded water up the nose.

Your water scares me.

#AlligatorGar

muehlcj
05-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Also been there.
1. Bow line at launch
2. Wakeboard rope
3. Surf rope - can you believe that? Thought that was impossible? The handle was on the sun deck and fell off just right so that it fit between the platform and the transom. Went to back up and sucked it right in.

deerfield
05-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Colorado - Return your Amazon order, PM me your mailing address, and I'll send you a little gift to keep in the Mojo glove box that will come in handy next time you float over and wrap a line. - Deerfield

rdlangston13
05-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Your water scares me.

#AlligatorGar

The gar are harmless. When's the last time you heard of an alligator far attack??

Sent from my iPhone

trayson
05-19-2015, 04:22 PM
The gar are harmless. When's the last time you heard of an alligator Gar attack??

Sent from my iPhone

Talking to Brian (from Exile) at Mike Mandley's party...

Those things are downright freaky!!! (good thing we didn't tell my wife about them until AFTER we got out of the water).

http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/boundlesspursuit/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/268860_561574608285_7879287_n.jpg

rdlangston13
05-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Here is one they recently caught on the trinity. But like I said, never heard of one attacking someone have you?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/E5CF5F4F-2579-4FBA-87D8-CA4174FD06F7_zpsgsuz1tod.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/E5CF5F4F-2579-4FBA-87D8-CA4174FD06F7_zpsgsuz1tod.jpg.html)

Sent from my iPhone

ColoradoLake19
05-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Deerfield--thanks for the response. I will toss in a pair of goggles that I have around the house.