PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Servo

mjr119
05-17-2015, 09:42 PM
So i figured out that my servo motor is locked up. It failed the servo test. I tried to turn the knob and it just spun on thr shaft. Now my throttle had to be pushed almost all the way down to throttle up. How can i bypass the perfect pass connection to the throttle? Can anyone recommend a cheap place to purchase the servo?

parrothd
05-17-2015, 11:29 PM
Remove the 4 screws on the servo and remove the armature and use some fine sand paper to remove the rust and clean it off. Reassemble with some dielectric grease.

Or order a new one from prefect pass.. Check for water leaks, when the servo gets wet it rusts on the inside..

parrothd
05-17-2015, 11:31 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-19332.html

More details

mjr119
05-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies!

It definitely got wet at some point during it's life with the previous owner. The engine has a bit of surface rust here and there, so I would assume the servo itself is rusted on the inside. I will take it apart tonight and see what I can figure out.

If I cant get it to function properly, how can I avoid the slack in the throttle cable until I can fix the servo?

parrothd
05-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Duct tape?

mjr119
05-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Haha Im not too proud to duct tape something!

Just kidding, I guess I dont fully understand how the PP system works. The servo has to provide tension on the servo cable for the regular throttle cable to function properly?

KG's Supra24
05-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Just kidding, I guess I dont fully understand how the PP system works. The servo has to provide tension on the servo cable for the regular throttle cable to function properly?

You got it. Without the knob, nothing holds the throttle cable. You won't have throttle without that piece in. You could tie the cable to the bracket somehow for short term.

I just replaced my servo, they are notorious for getting wet and seizing. I'd bet you will be replacing. Got mine from Perfect Pass in Canada.

parrothd
05-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Just wind the string around the knob until there's no slack, or take the string off and pull it tight and tie to something to hold it so it doesn't move..

mjr119
05-18-2015, 12:16 PM
My PP display, module, and paddle wheel seem to be functioning properly. Just no response from the servo. Is it likely that the servo is the only issue? When I switched my key on the other day, my display kept starting and restarting, but I think it was due to low voltage. Has anyone else had this problem?

I dont want to spend $150+ on a servo and then find out I need everything else too!

How hard is it to swap out?

KG's Supra24
05-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Likely just servo ... I've replaced more than once.

Just 4 bolts and some wiring.

mjr119
05-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks, I will see what the inside of the servo looks like this evening.

After I popped the knob off and realized that it needed to be wound tight to have throttle response, I also noticed that my throttle cable has a very rough spot in it at the neutral/forward/idle spot. It almost feels like it doesnt want to shift into forward. This was with the boat off in the driveway. Could this be caused by the perfect pass cable?

mjr119
05-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Note that the throttle was super smooth before I took the knob off and unwound the string from the PP servo.

The throttle did not have an obvious idle forward position like my other inboard boats had in the past.

Any ideas on that issue?