PDA

View Full Version : Gas Smell After Fill Up

mjr119
05-15-2015, 09:59 PM
I filled up the new to me boat today for the first time. When i got to the ramp, which is about 4 miles from the ramp. When I got in the boat I smelled a stronggas smell coming from under the dash area. I opened the hatch and let it air out.

I primed the furl pump and I couldn't see any obvious fuel leaks. I ran the boat for a moment and it still smelled really strong. So i brought it in. Now it's sitting in my driveway with everything opened up to air out. I can't still smell gas from the vdrive and engine compartment. I'd it possible that my filler neck is leaking? Has anyone had this issue? 2003 LSV. I just used the boat 2 days ago and I did not have this issue. I didn't top it off so I know it wasn't over filled. The only thing that I did differently was I fueled the boat up much faster than I usually do. I usually go very slow to avoid any spewage. And I filled it up this time.

mmandley
05-15-2015, 11:53 PM
My LSV used to have a fuel smell once in a while, You can try tightening the hose clamps on the filler and Vent. Also you might look into a new gas cap.

When filling the boat I always use the slow setting on the pump handle and stop at the first shut off.

Other wise until you run the fuel down you might have a fuel smell. Maybe try siphoning some out, you can get cheap pumps from the local parts store. Just take a couple gallons out.

Places to check for leaks, In the Carb, you might be leaking internally and causing the smell, obviously the hose connections. Dry your bilge out as much as possibly to look for any drips. Gas evaporate quickly so its hard to chase.

zabooda
05-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Vent line is probably leaking at the connection. Run the tank down some and see if it goes away. Run your blower a lot before starting and keep it running until you can locate the problem.

mjr119
05-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Ran it down to a quarter of a tank. Still smelling strong fumes.

996scott
05-18-2015, 10:29 AM
don't know if your boat is set up the same way but read this.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24359-Fuel-line-damaged-by-floor-boards&highlight=fuel+line

mjr119
05-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Thank you for the link. I will definitely check the fuel lines coming from the tank. Do you just lift the v-drive cover up or is it screwed down? I just bought the boat 2 weeks ago. I plan to do a fluid change on the v-drive unit and transmission. So that will be a good time to check the fuel lines.

mjr119
05-18-2015, 07:49 PM
I found my problem! Thanks to you all for the advice. The vent hose seems a bit too short, I guess it finally wiggled it's way loose after who knows how many years. On to the next problem!

mjr119
05-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Side question: what is the green wire? It looked like it just attached to the front of the vdrive. Why is the connector all wrapped up in the clamp?

gregski
05-19-2015, 12:49 AM
Green is usually ground in electronics but I'm not sure if that is always the case in automotive. It makes some sense that they would try to ground various points of the fuel system. So that would be my guess but that is strange looking.

zabooda
05-19-2015, 12:56 AM
All the metal is grounded with the green wire to eliminate static discharge.