PDA

View Full Version : Engine light & grinding in steering - 2012 OBV

Outback Skid
05-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Took my 2012 OBV to the lake for the first time this weekend. For two solid days we had a blast and it performed perfectly. The 3rd day I had two issues:

1) as we were idling out of the marina the engine light came on and the engine shut off. I waited a few minutes and restarted, took it to the dock and read manual. I checked engine oil, v-drive oil and transmission fluid. V-drive was a little low and I refilled. Watched all gauges closely after that and they were all in line with owners manual. Later that day the engine light came on again while idling out of marina and I shut it down and checked again and all fluid levels were satisfactory. Close to end of trip so I put her on the lift and called it a day. I also noticed that right around the times this was happening the warning light was flickering during idle.

2) noticed the steering getting tight right in the middle of left and right. Then it began making a grinding noise while going about 25mph. Stopped and read manual and couldn't find anything about steering. It did not do it again until later that evening. While wake surfing it did it 3 times when we engaged the digital pro cruise to pull daughter.

Do you guys have any ideas? I originally thought the two were related since they happened within 30 minutes of each other both times, but after reading the boards it looks like they may be unrelated. Also, I have the extended INMAR warranty that transferred from the previous owner. I live 2 hours away from boat on Norris and dealer is hour from there in Knoxville. Do I need to bite the bullet and take it in before summer gets rolling or do you guys have a quick fix??

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Btw, I love this boat. I cant believe I waited this long to upgrade from the sea ray bow rider. My daughter got up on the board with no rope with only the factory 400's on third try. I think I am going to have to put the 750's in before I can throw the rope.

Outback Skid
05-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Bump. Come on guys help me out

mmandley
05-13-2015, 07:20 PM
I doubt the steering and grind you hear are connected. The steering is a stand alone system and if its grinding it should do it all the time. If its only grinding when under power then it could be stress related to the pressure on the rudder when turning.

As for your engine it could be a multitude of things. Did you look at your temp gauge when the engine was having issues?
Can you restart the boat shortly after?
How long do you have to wait until the boat does restart?
How many hours on the boat?
Do you know if the Impeller has been replaced?
Do you know if the fuel filter has been replaced?

With the only knowledge you have listed I am concerned you have a cooling system issue, with the engine shutting down. The impeller could be missing vains and one if lodged in the engine blocking cooling.

Grinding, this could be a few different things, did you only hear it when surfing or going below 10mph? If your boat has an OJ prop you can get growling or what feels like a vibration but its normal with that particular prop.

I understand your real concern is the CEL and shutting off but I personally need a little more info what all was going on, what was the temp of the engine, how long had it been running?

Sorry man just so many factors still to try and arm chair diagnose it and feel confident I am sending you in the right direction.

Outback Skid
05-13-2015, 09:07 PM
I doubt the steering and grind you hear are connected. The steering is a stand alone system and if its grinding it should do it all the time. If its only grinding when under power then it could be stress related to the pressure on the rudder when turning.

As for your engine it could be a multitude of things. Did you look at your temp gauge when the engine was having issues?
Can you restart the boat shortly after?
How long do you have to wait until the boat does restart?
How many hours on the boat?
Do you know if the Impeller has been replaced?
Do you know if the fuel filter has been replaced?

With the only knowledge you have listed I am concerned you have a cooling system issue, with the engine shutting down. The impeller could be missing vains and one if lodged in the engine blocking cooling.

Grinding, this could be a few different things, did you only hear it when surfing or going below 10mph? If your boat has an OJ prop you can get growling or what feels like a vibration but its normal with that particular prop.

I understand your real concern is the CEL and shutting off but I personally need a little more info what all was going on, what was the temp of the engine, how long had it been running?

Sorry man just so many factors still to try and arm chair diagnose it and feel confident I am sending you in the right direction.

Hey, I appreciate the response. I am new to these boats. Kind of like Cole Trickle trying to explain to Harry how his car is handling when he hasn't ever worked on a stock car....

Boat has 232 hours
Temp never left normal range
Boat restarted immediately
Not sure about impeller and fuel filter, but previous owner gave me impeller.
Grinding/vibration first happened at 25 mph, not while turning. Again a few times while surfing, but only while pulling out not in turns.. It feels horrible.
As far as shut off goes, we were idling in and idling out. Both times we had been under way for over 30 min. Oil pressure was at or around the 40 mark both times.

Again, thanks for ideas!

mmandley
05-14-2015, 12:18 AM
I like the reference to Days of Thunder LOL

Hard one to go with, I really want to lean towards your prop. Look at it and see if the OJ or ACME, when you look at it at the base where the shaft slides tough, is marking to tell you exactly the prop type and size.

Some people and more on the east coast have had issues with Vapor lock. Occurs when its Hot out and the boat is ran then shut off. It wont restart right away, have to pour cool water over the fuel line to cool it down.

I really don't think you are having a vapor issue right now.

200+ hours you really want to get the impeller replaced. Its not too hard, several threads explaining how to do it. You just removed the 3 small bolts on the cover and with needle nose pliers or 2 paint can openers remove it.

There is a kill switch with a Lanyard sits down by the ballast switches, more then a few times I have bumped mine not realizing it while driving, also that switch can get loose and cause the kill engine mode. Might look at that. 4 screws to remove the panel and it tightens pretty easy.

Still have no reason for the CEL. Might check all the connection on the engine ECM, make sure they are secure, might be a loose connection.

Take her out and watch her some more.