PDA

View Full Version : wakesurf setup

moomba2008
05-11-2015, 06:54 PM
I have a 2008 Moomba LSV. I surf on the driver sider and have a center 400lb ballast and the rear lockers each have a 750 lb? Can anyone help with the best wake setup?

kaneboats
05-11-2015, 09:22 PM
I run the surf side 750 full, the 400 center full and a couple guys in the bow. I also have a 400 under the (regular/port) surf side seats. The wakeplate about 80% up and around 10.2 - 10.8 mph. Mmandley swears by putting 300-400 in the off side locker. I haven't tried it b/c until this season I had no ballast on that side.

mmandley
05-12-2015, 01:16 AM
I run the surf side 750 full, the 400 center full and a couple guys in the bow. I also have a 400 under the (regular/port) surf side seats. The wakeplate about 80% up and around 10.2 - 10.8 mph. Mmandley swears by putting 300-400 in the off side locker. I haven't tried it b/c until this season I had no ballast on that side.

Also IBS helps a lot,

I like the Offside weight to 1 help keep the lean down a little, and also the offset weight acts like more rear end weight as well.

both options will work nicely.

CookieMonster
05-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Don't want to hijack your thread, but I'd hate to start a new one for a similar question. I just started wakeboarding a few weeks ago and love it, but people keep telling to to try out surfing. I have an 05 LSV with only the stock center ballast (400lbs??). Would it be possible for me to surf with just that and say 4-7 passengers? What would be a decent, cheap, on size fits all board to start with?

trayson
05-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Don't want to hijack your thread, but I'd hate to start a new one for a similar question. I just started wakeboarding a few weeks ago and love it, but people keep telling to to try out surfing. I have an 05 LSV with only the stock center ballast (400lbs??). Would it be possible for me to surf with just that and say 4-7 passengers? What would be a decent, cheap, on size fits all board to start with?

You can get up and lineride behind anything. if you have a fast board and a reasonable amount of skill, you can even freeride behind things with little ballast (if you're not too heavy.) I weigh 169 and was able to freeride a Tige 21v with no ballast. But that's the exception.

It's hard to pick a one board fits all solution. The closest thing I had to that was my Ronix Koal, but I'm sure there are better choices.

Why not pick up 1 rear sack and an over the side Tsunami pump? You could be into those for pretty reasonable. Then the bag's there for down the road when you have the money to upgrade it to automated.

CookieMonster
05-12-2015, 12:19 PM
You can get up and lineride behind anything. if you have a fast board and a reasonable amount of skill, you can even freeride behind things with little ballast (if you're not too heavy.) I weigh 169 and was able to freeride a Tige 21v with no ballast. But that's the exception.

It's hard to pick a one board fits all solution. The closest thing I had to that was my Ronix Koal, but I'm sure there are better choices.

Why not pick up 1 rear sack and an over the side Tsunami pump? You could be into those for pretty reasonable. Then the bag's there for down the road when you have the money to upgrade it to automated.

I was just looking at the ronix eight.3 1100# bag on wakemakers. I guess I didn't realize you could get a bag and pump that doesn't have to be integrated into the boat. I think I may go with something like that to start.

trayson
05-12-2015, 12:26 PM
I was just looking at the ronix eight.3 1100# bag on wakemakers. I guess I didn't realize you could get a bag and pump that doesn't have to be integrated into the boat. I think I may go with something like that to start.
While the ronix bags like that are FAST, I wouldn't go that direction. I'd go with a bag that you can ultimately integrate later into an automated ballast system. Trust me, you WILL want to automate your ballast system down the road.

The Flyhigh 1100 (http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-jumbo-surf-sac.html) or the Sumo 900 (http://www.wakemakers.com/launch-pad-sumo-vsurf-sac-900.html)are the ones most get.

And this Tsunami (http://www.wakemakers.com/elevate-turbo-ballast-pump.html)pump for the flyhigh. And I guess this sumo pump (http://www.wakemakers.com/elevate-turbo-ballast-pump.html)would be the logical choice for the 900 bag.

Make sure to get your wakemakers 10% off.

CookieMonster
05-12-2015, 12:34 PM
While the ronix bags like that are FAST, I wouldn't go that direction. I'd go with a bag that you can ultimately integrate later into an automated ballast system. Trust me, you WILL want to automate your ballast system down the road.

The Flyhigh 1100 (http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-jumbo-surf-sac.html) or the Sumo 900 (http://www.wakemakers.com/launch-pad-sumo-vsurf-sac-900.html)are the ones most get.

And this Tsunami (http://www.wakemakers.com/elevate-turbo-ballast-pump.html)pump for the flyhigh. And I guess this sumo pump (http://www.wakemakers.com/elevate-turbo-ballast-pump.html)would be the logical choice for the 900 bag.

Make sure to get your wakemakers 10% off.

Ok, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the links man! I'm new to wake boats in general, but starting to get a grasp on things thanks to you guys.

I have the stock 400# ski locker, someone said I could run other sacks off the stock manifold? What would I need to just go ahead and integrate a fly high 1100 into my system?

trayson
05-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Ok, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the links man! I'm new to wake boats in general, but starting to get a grasp on things thanks to you guys.

I have the stock 400# ski locker, someone said I could run other sacks off the stock manifold? What would I need to just go ahead and integrate a fly high 1100 into my system?

While you technically could do that, it's putting time/effort/money into a painfully slow system.

The crappy/slow Moomba factory ballast systems had a single fill pump that went to a sprinkler valve manifold. the valves are very constricting and limit the flow. I had the 'gravity 3' that had three bags. The rear bags with 1100's would take well over 20 minutes to fill. it was pathetic. I couldn't stand it and would tap an over the side pump onto the bag to help it out.

It also has a slow 700gph drain pump attached to each bag. so you'd need to get a drain pump too if you wanted to integrate. (for that, a 1200gph tsunami is of course better than the slow factory drain pumps). But really, just get the bag and the over the side pump, and then save up and do a reversible pump next year. Wakemakers typically does a 20% off sale for Black Friday, so plan your upgrade around that.

I personally like the setup where you have the "above water line" draining because it's really nice to have that audible/visual indication of when your pumps are done.
http://www.wakemakers.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/reversible_pump_ballast_system_diagram1.jpg

CookieMonster
05-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Ok, I see. Yea that sound's like a pain. The over-the-side pump sounds like the way to go. Plus I need to save the money for all the other crap I have to fix/ do to my new little money pit.

trayson
05-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Ok, I see. Yea that sound's like a pain. The over-the-side pump sounds like the way to go. Plus I need to save the money for all the other crap I have to fix/ do to my new little money pit.

For sure. A boat is most certainly a hole in the water you pour money into!!! but I wouldn't trade the memories with friends and family for anything. You're lucky that you got a seriously BALLER stereo system from the get go.

CookieMonster
05-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Haha yea that's how I justified spending that much on a 10 year old boat! Now that I'm getting into wakeboarding I feel bad for my wallet.

MJHSupra
05-14-2015, 04:59 PM
I think 750#s will fill the back two lockers. If the 1100s are not much more, go with them.

There are also supports for the board that separates the bags and the engine. Therefore, the bags do not 'bulge' too much. Search for threads on that subject.

M-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregski
05-19-2015, 01:31 AM
I always run a bit of offside weight. 300-400 sounds about right. Add the IBS like Mmandley said and you'll have a pretty nice wave.

gregski
05-19-2015, 01:35 AM
I don't know about the 05 but the '06+ models will definitely surf with the GIII 400lbs center and rear ballast system and/or 4-7 people. We could ride ropeless with just 3 people and the 400lb ballast bags. It wasn't awesome by any means but it was possible. 7 people would make pretty good ballast unless they are skinny girls in which case who cares?