PDA

View Full Version : Depth Gauge

uniwarking
05-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Anyone else experience issues with their depth gauge on their Moomba? I had the gauge and transducers replaced on warranty throughout the past 2 summers (transducer was replaced during winterization). In both of my outings so far this year, I’ve noticed at times the depth will vary 10+ ft even when sitting still and the gauge will occasionally display ---.

mmandley
05-11-2015, 01:39 PM
I get the --- but it tends to be only when moving. I guess I never cared too much about it while moving.

--- normally means out of range, when moving bubbles, turbulence can cause this.

As for sitting still IDK bud. Honestly my water locations are all over 50Ft almost all the time so I only worry about it when near the edges of the lakes, rivers.

uniwarking
05-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Yeah, it's a bit frustrating. My last boat had a basic ($40) depth gauge that performed flawlessly for 5 years. This one works okay at times but at others I can't trust what it's telling me... Which kind of defeats the purpose of having one. I don't usually have the luxury of super deep water and it's always sketchy when trying to anchor off shore or navigate through shallower stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
05-11-2015, 03:25 PM
After reading the transducer thread tha'ts updating today, I am wondering if our have the liquid fill and they are low?

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?26218-Depth-gauge-Transducer

uniwarking
05-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Mine appears to be a sealed unit.

jedandsara
06-06-2015, 12:56 AM
Mine appears to be a sealed unit.

Did you ever figure anything out with your depth gauge? I have a new 2014 Mojo and the gauge acts up all the time constantly throwing the alarm. It will jump from the actual depth to a ft or two quite a bit. Very inconsistent. Any troubleshooting ideas?

Mcdonas
06-07-2015, 05:51 AM
Same here with Mojo 2014. Ive turned it off because it is so inconsistent. Had them replace transducer but still a problem. I had a Monterey before and the depth sounder was dead on. This one is all over the place.

papou
06-07-2015, 10:03 AM
I've had the same problem , changing the location of the New transducer so that it's not in bilge water about 8 inches to the side.The transducer constantly in water will affect it even if it's a sealed unit.

bergermaister
06-08-2015, 01:24 AM
Constantly having that much water in the bilge sounds potentially troubling?

I've had numerous brands of depth gauges and not thrilled with any of them. I usually only get the --- when I'm exploring new water we've never been on...

Next gauge will not use the expoxied in Puck but rather the thru hull eyeball sensor type. What's one more hole for peace of mind.