PDA

View Full Version : '13 MOJO - Ballast Pump Issue

uniwarking
05-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, quick ballast pump question. I’ve got a ’13 MOJO with the I noticed a few times last year that when I flipped the switch for my center ballast that it didn’t turn on. Cycling the switch off to on seemed to work. This year I noticed the pump was making a ticking sound especially after it had run for a while. I thought it was just an impeller but after replacing all of them I found the ticking was still there and it’s still not turning on every time I flip the switch. I’m guessing the center ballast pump motor is failing… any advice? My boat hits the 2 YR old mark in August so I’d like to get this taken care of quickly if the pump needs replaced… assume this would be warranty.

mmandley
05-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Wow man, she isn't happy this spring is she?

I had some ballast filling issues over the last two years but never a ticking. They did a ballast computer upgrade or upgraded what ever the module is at my ballast pumps when I was having wake plate issues. After that I had no other issues with my ballast on and off. Sometimes though I think the center may not come on with the switch. I have gotten in the habit of tuning down the stereo and turning them each on seperatly so I can hear them. Then turn up the tunes again..Also now I hit all the drains again at the ramp when cleaning up the boat.

uniwarking
05-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Ha, something like that. I hate to complain but I like things to work 😜

I had the PDM replaced last year as well in an attempt to fix he wake plate.

I think the pump itself is failing, chatted with Spencer at Wakemakers and he agreed... Hopefully we can get it fixed.

I tend to turn off the music and open the port locker when filling and emptying as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
05-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Ha, something like that. I hate to complain but I like things to work ��

I had the PDM replaced last year as well in an attempt to fix he wake plate.

I think the pump itself is failing, chatted with Spencer at Wakemakers and he agreed... Hopefully we can get it fixed.

I don't think you are complaining butha, I think you want things to work correctly lol.

Yea I would think the pump too as I have never heard clicking, ticking from my pumps.

I had the PDM replaced too, no go. Only the Software update. I am pretty sure the pumps are under the 2 year warranty.

uniwarking
05-11-2015, 03:39 PM
I hope so, don't want to shell out another $200.

I love my boat, just want stuff to work. Feel like a pain in the you know what every time I contact my dealer and SC. But I paid good $ and I want it right.

BamaMojo
05-11-2015, 09:51 PM
I have a 13 Mojo and have had to replace 2 of my 3 so far.

2012 Mojo

uniwarking
05-12-2015, 07:47 AM
I have a 13 Mojo and have had to replace 2 of my 3 so far.

Did your pumps make noise or did they just stop turning?

I'd assume that with the pump making that noise with no impeller installed would prove the pump is failing. I'd like to get a new pump sent to me or have one waiting at the dealer so I don't have to leave it at the dealership for 2 weeks...

BamaMojo
05-12-2015, 07:51 AM

I'd assume that with the pump making that noise with no impeller installed would prove the pump is failing. I'd like to get a new pump sent to me or have one waiting at the dealer so I don't have to leave it at the dealership for 2 weeks...

They made noise, just wouldn't pump. I replaced impellers first but it didn't help. If you need new pumps just order from dealer they are super easy to install. I chose to buy mine from the dealer instead of Wakemakers because sc' s proprietary plug already being installed. I was able to keep all wiring factory, just plug and go!
Good luck!

2012 Mojo

BamaMojo
05-12-2015, 07:52 AM

Btw, I have a 12 Mojo! Sorry for the confusion.

2012 Mojo

uniwarking
05-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Took a few videos last night with the help of my 5yr old... bags were near empty so you can hear cavitation.

Good Pump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wksgIHauyJw

Bad Pump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqD8LukbVUg

Bad Pump with divider out and impeller out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV5qRDp5REU

It's pretty clear the pump is messed up. It only turns on about half the time I flip the switch (it clicks once but sounds locked up) and then when it does run it sounds like its beating itself to death. The shaft was loose allowing it to wobble. The impellers I just replaced were still in one piece and don't really appear to have much wear... just a little bit of a set as they've been in the pumps for 2 years... it's not like something went through the pump and tore it up.

mmandley
05-13-2015, 07:47 PM
The first video is exactly how mine sounds when the bags are empty.

Second video sounds bad

Third video looks like the bearing in the pump are shot.

Woody929
05-13-2015, 07:50 PM
^ my thoughts exactly

uniwarking
05-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Pretty nasty that's for sure. Boat is only at 123 hours... Glad this one is warranty but makes me wonder how long the other two will hang on. This one has been acting up for a while though and gets the most use.

uniwarking
05-26-2015, 01:25 PM
New pump installed prior to the big weekend so all is well!

smorris7
05-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Pretty nasty that's for sure. Boat is only at 123 hours... Glad this one is warranty but makes me wonder how long the other two will hang on. This one has been acting up for a while though and gets the most use.

Almost 400 hours on my 12 mojo all three pumps still going strong no issues ever.

uniwarking
05-26-2015, 04:20 PM
I must have gotten a lemon, oh well... Fixed now and running back strong.