PDA

View Full Version : Starter Solenoid or Ignition Switch Issue

mjr119
05-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Took the boat to the ramp today to warm it up before I changed the oil. When I backed it in and tried to start it I got nothing. I bumped the key several times and still nothing. Finally It turned over and started right up. Is it more likely a starter relay or ignition switch problem?

I used the boat yesterday and it did this once, I turned the key and nothing happened, so I turned it again and it fired up. I may have heard a click in the engine compartment on the failed attempt, but I didnt hear any clicks today.

Can someone link me to the correct starter relay? If it's the ignition switch, which one would I get from the boat dealer? I have a 2003 Mobius LSV gravity games with the indmar assault engine.

Thanks!

kaneboats
05-11-2015, 05:41 AM
Check the boat is in neutral and your lanyard is not hanging up or anything. Then, you are about due for an ignition switch at the age of your boat. If you get "nothing" I'd start with the switch. If you hear clicking then I would test the battery and look at relay, solenoid, starter, etc.

mjr119
05-11-2015, 09:32 AM
It was in neutral adn my boat doesnt ahve a lanyard. This was my first thought. I jiggled the throttle arm and it still did nothing. I will replace the switch and charge the battery. Thanks.

mjr119
05-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Can anyone link me to the correct ignition switch?

Can I use the generic Sierra that is used on a mercruiser? I had a centurion last year with a mercruiser, I bought a new ign switch locally for approximately $15 and it worked well.

trayson
05-11-2015, 12:35 PM
If you think it's the switch, you can certainly try to hotwire your boat to see if that's the issue. it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which wire is the "on" and which is the "start" and then just jump them briefly to see if it starts...

Starter relays are cheap too. I had to replace one on my last boat. I know I'd be inclined to use an aftermarket ignition switch if I was in your shoes. I can't see much that'd require the exact same one... Heck, I'd be tempted to go push button start since I never take my key out of the ignition (except MAYBE when I'm travelling with the boat and staying in a hotel).

mjr119
05-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Okay I replaced the ignition switch this evening and it is still having issues starting. I turned the key to start and I heard a click from the engine compartment, I continued to hold it in the start position and it slowly started turning over then started. Then it started a few times perfectly. Any ideas?

parrothd
05-12-2015, 09:34 PM
I'd be calling skidm for a new starter, you did check the batteries and cables?

mjr119
05-12-2015, 10:29 PM
I am trickle charging the battery tonight. What should I look for regarding the cables?

mjr119
05-13-2015, 07:24 AM
Hopefully this is just a battery or a solenoid issue. How can I test the solenoid? Cross it over? If I need a starter, which one should I buy from SKIDM? There is a local place that rebuilds starters and alternators. Had them do a boat starter for me last year (Different boat) and it was only $60, with a 1 hour turn around on the 4th of July! Any issue with doing a rebuild?

mjr119
05-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Where does the positive wire from the battery lead to? Where else should I check for solid connections? Thanks for everyones help!

parrothd
05-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Have them test it and rebuild it... As for the wires make sure they're connected tight and the wire itself isn't corroded to the point it's broken..

mjr119
05-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Will do that, thanks.

Where does the positive battery cable lead end up at in the egine compartment? Id like to check that connection. Starter?

I think I am going to go ahead and replace the solenoid while I am at it, can someone link me to the correct part or part number? Thanks!

mjr119
05-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Does my starter have the solenoid attached to it? 2003 Mobius LSV gravity games with Indmar Assault engine.

trayson
05-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Connections = make sure everything's tight with no evidence of corrosion.

I would look at the solenoid before the starter. I'd think you can jump the terminals of the solenoid to see if that's the case. But yeah, if it needed a starter, I'd for sure get the rebuild. Ski Dim is awesome for their knowledge, but they are expensive.

I think on my last boat the battery was connected directly to the starter solenoid. And the solenoid was also connected to the starter, since it functions as a relay.

From my '92, big fat wire goes to battery. 4 gauge wire goes from solenoid to starter. The yellow/red stripe wire is the trigger for the starter. The other wires on the solenoid are things tapping 12v+.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O3bSxTLH4xQ/UbUv8IxchgI/AAAAAAAAOFk/s8qOCqhUONU/s800/%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wqCcV4R69cI/UbUwKcFvGeI/AAAAAAAAOH8/8ufekhDFh24/s800/%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

Poison
05-13-2015, 11:56 AM
When I was having starting problems, I found one of the wires to the starter was loose. The nut had backed off a bit and the wire was just hanging loose on the starter. I tightened it down and the boat started reliably again. This also got the check engine light off for me. It is located on the port side of the engine on the under side of the block. See Trayson's second picture. Check those wires/connections.

mjr119
05-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Awesome guys, I really appreciate the advice. I feel a lot more confident doing repairs and troubleshooting with the expertise this forum has to offer!

I will check the connections on the starter and see where that gets me.

cornrickey
05-14-2015, 01:11 AM
Have the starter rebuilt. 60 bucks is to cheap for good components. Ask them to put top shelf components in it and make sure they are rebuilding yours and not giving you someone elses. A quality rebuild tends to be better than after market new somtimes even factory

mjr119
05-14-2015, 07:38 AM
The last rebuild they did for me I watched them do it. As far as the components, I can't comment on the quality.

But honestly, I believe this may be a battery issue. I trickle charged the battery overnight and used the boat yesterday evening. On the first 1 or 2 starts, I would turn the key and it would click, and I held it in the start position, then it started to slowly turn over then start after a 1 or 2 second delay. After doing that twice at the ramp, it started 5 or so times perfectly without clicks or hesitation. My volt gauge is reading somewhere between 12 and 13. Im going to replace the battery and see if it helps.

What battery is everyone using?

mjr119
05-18-2015, 12:05 PM
This turned out to be a battery issue. When I turned the switch on in the driveway the other day before going out, my perfect pass gauge turned on and beeped like normal, then it shut down and turned back on immediately and beeped again, it kept repeating this cycle. This pretty much told me that my battery was too weak to supply the boat's electrical needs.

Anyways, I replaced the battery and I have not had the slow/no start since. Now on to addressing the other issues!

Thanks to everyone who offered up opinions.

loudsubz
07-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Seems like we are having the same issue as well. Funny my battery reads 12.5 volts when key off, but it will take a few times of back and forth switching of the ignition to finally get it to crank. When it does crank it doesn't seem as strong so I may be swapping batteries first to see if that is the issue.

mjr119
07-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Seems like we are having the same issue as well. Funny my battery reads 12.5 volts when key off, but it will take a few times of back and forth switching of the ignition to finally get it to crank. When it does crank it doesn't seem as strong so I may be swapping batteries first to see if that is the issue.
For sure. If you suspect your battery is weak, just replace it! A weak battery can strain other, more expensive components of your electrical system.

loudsubz
07-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Swapped batteries to a 1000cca and starter turns over super fast now, but still a delay getting to the cranking proceedure.

larry from Indmar has been amazing and has given some other areas to check so I will be doing that this weekend.

DOCDRS
07-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Swapped batteries to a 1000cca and starter turns over super fast now, but still a delay getting to the cranking proceedure.

larry from Indmar has been amazing and has given some other areas to check so I will be doing that this weekend.

Check your ignition switch , mine has been a little wonky this year