PDA

View Full Version : Boat launching

k42
05-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Getting ready to launch our new Outback v this weekend. Is there anything special I need to be aware of? Use to have a 185 Searay that was very easy to launch and load. Thanks

mmandley
05-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Other then the normal, remove the rear straps and make sure drain plug is in.

I back down until I just see the rear of the boat start to float.

Then I go out and unhook the Nose strap, start the boat and just put it in reverse enough to engage it.

Remember there is no steering in Reverse on V drives, they will pull to the Starboard side, then you can bump the throttle forward steering port to rotate the boat, or just power back if you have room.

After the above is ready, I have the wife put the truck in reverse and roll back a few feet and STOMP the brakes, this transfer the momentum to the boat and shoves it right off without needing to POWER Reverse.

When Loading it will take a couple trys to get the depth right depending on your lake.

She backs the truck down, completely submerges the bunks and then pulls forward until the tops of the fenders are only a couple inches deep.

I drive as slow as I can in the boat just until the nose passes the guide polls. Then I idle the engine.

Don't panic if your aim is off and you bump the poles, they are designed for that. Just let the boat settle and center up. you wont hurt the boat or trailer, with the OBV it will self center, then you can power up a bit, or hook the nose strap and crank the boat up.

I personally used to be able to drive my LSV right up to the bow roller, with my Mojo I can not, it has to be exactly centered or my prop will strike the trailer. So I do a lot of cranking.

With time you will get your trailer depth just right and your aim with the boat will get better.

I have always found standing in the center, or kneeling in the center and looking at the tailgate emblem or latch works for aiming the boat.

sivs1
05-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Welcome and enjoy the boat. Backing a v-drive is not easy, you'll soon learn steering is almost non-existent. basically the boat will turn based on the rotation of the prop, for me my LSV will turn to the right as I back off the trailer. I just go to the left of the dock, back off the trailer and when I'm far enough out turn and drive away. loading is similar to your Searay except when you kill the power you also lose steering.

Best advice, take your time, relax and enjoy the learning experience. Once you get the hang of it, it's so much better than an I/O.

Post pictures of your OBV when you have a chance.

jester
05-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Mike said it right. Just take your time. Do not get in a rush to load and unload. You will have to learn the trailer and the ramp slope to understand how deep to get the trailer but make sure you get all the bunks wet before loading.

k42
05-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. I thought it would pull to the left since the shaft was offset to the left, didn't know to factor in prop rotation. Thanks again and I'll post some pics later if I figure how.

wolfeman131
05-08-2015, 11:54 AM
another Buckeye on the board! Welcome.

The guys have already given you the advice you need. When docking/trailering, it reminds me of the Sea Doo where you need some power to get it to go where you want it to.

To post pics, the best thing to do is to use a host site such as photobucket and to paste the IMG links into your post.

Beejwest
05-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Backing X 1,000! Always leave yourself room to escape. On windier days, you may have to make a 270° turn and use the reverse to bring everything straight due to the wind pushing on the tower. It acts like a sail even when the bimini is down. Also, rudders are tiny compared to an I/O outrdrive. You will have little to no steering at in neutral. This is where my wife gets in a jam while docking, or trailering. Keep a bit of steam on her and you'll have much more rudder authority than at super slow speeds. When trailering like that, just make sure your aim is on and it'll slide right into the bunks. If you do need to cram reverse to keep from hitting your trailer off-center, just remember she ain't gonna back straight off and it may slide sidewayys into the dock. You'll scare yourself a couple times and then get the hang pretty quick.

brain_rinse
05-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. I thought it would pull to the left since the shaft was offset to the left, didn't know to factor in prop rotation. Thanks again and I'll post some pics later if I figure how.
What do you mean by it being offset to the left?

wolfeman131
05-08-2015, 12:30 PM
I think they are all offset that way. We noticed it when fixing Pat's boat and figured it was on purpose so you could get the shaft out without having to remove the rudder.

trayson
05-08-2015, 12:48 PM

I think they are all offset that way. We noticed it when fixing Pat's boat and figured it was on purpose so you could get the shaft out without having to remove the rudder.

^^^^ This.

rdlangston13
05-08-2015, 12:49 PM

Is it the prop that is offset left or the rudder offset right?

trayson
05-08-2015, 01:01 PM
I've been leery of the idea of "stomping on the brakes" to dunk the boat more like Mike Does. I know it wouldn't likely happen, but I have visions of me coasting back and stomping on the brakes and the truck continuing to skid down deeper in the water. Yeah, it's not a super valid fear, but I don't have a problem with simply dropping the trailer into the water further so that the boat is floating more and it's easier to power off.

Like most, my boat will pull to the Starboard side in reverse. I've found that my FAVORITE spot on the dock is the very end (furthest towards the water) spot where I can dock with my starboard side against the dock (with Exile Bouy Balls of course) with the bow pointing out towards the river and the current pushing me towards the dock. I back off the trailer, spin around and come in to the dock (on my starboard side) with my bow pointed at the dock so I'm at about a 15 to 20 degree angle. Then I give it a nudge in reverse and it brings my stern in and I come to rest parallel to the dock. It looks like I'm parallel parking the boat.

Then when it's time to leave the dock, we push away and drive away immediately so that the current doesn't push us back into the dock. I'll often make a slight right turn when leaving the dock so the stern doesn't hit the dock as we drive away with the current pushing on our Port side. People that boat in a lake with no current have it easy.

When I put the boat onto the trailer, I have to adjust for the river current and will often aim for the upsteam guide pole and know that as I bump the throttle coming in that the boat will drift to the center of the trailer if I time it right. When pulling the boat into the trailer, I've found on my boat that if I dunk the trailer TOO far, that the nose of the bow will actually want to dip UNDER the bow roller. that would be BAD. so experiment to find the right depth. For me it's around the top of the fenders just underwater to an inch under. Depth of the trailer will determine if I can motor all the way up to the bow roller or if we have to do some cranking. I added a safety chain to my bow as well. If the stern is floating a lot we'll have people in the boat make sure that the stern is centered between the guide poles as we pull the boat out of the water.

I can typically crank that last little bit up from inside the boat (laying in the bow bent over the front). And when launching, I can climb from the step bars to the top of the rear tire, get into the bed, and get on the trailer, unhook everything and launch the boat without ever getting my feet wet.

Good luck!

trayson
05-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Is it the prop that is offset left or the rudder offset right?

Rudder.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-w-gw0jaK46I/VNJzjw-3k4I/AAAAAAAAXoQ/HvgIwEPs73I/s800/20150203_134534.jpg

And my last boat:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-89EIO7wdL3I/U34eVhKv87I/AAAAAAAAQPE/lurAxq1auYY/s800/20140507_072201.jpg

k42
05-08-2015, 01:49 PM
Yes, it looks like the shaft is offset to the rudder, probably for the reason wolfeman stated.

mmandley
05-08-2015, 11:42 PM
You diffidently don't have to use the STOMP the brakes method. I have never worried about my trucks following my boat into the water. Only truck I had that the boat could pull in was the 1/2 ton.

I started doing the Stomp method because it allows the boat to shoot straight off the trailer, vs powering off causes it to pull to the right.

Also on the Mojo, and I'm not positive but I assume the Mondo they centered up the prop and Rudder.

I noticed after my LSV the best part is the boat goes straight when leaned for surfing a lot easier then my LSV did.

Not the best pic but the one I have.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/7148_XL_zpsca4edf65.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/7148_XL_zpsca4edf65.jpg.html)

bergermaister
05-08-2015, 11:58 PM

Uh, isn't that normal? Left side has always hung low... :confused:

mmandley
05-09-2015, 01:30 AM
Uh, isn't that normal? Left side has always hung low... :confused:

Tends to be the Right side bigger for women...Just saying...

rdlangston13
05-09-2015, 07:40 AM
You diffidently don't have to use the STOMP the brakes method. I have never worried about my trucks following my boat into the water. Only truck I had that the boat could pull in was the 1/2 ton.

I started doing the Stomp method because it allows the boat to shoot straight off the trailer, vs powering off causes it to pull to the right.

Also on the Mojo, and I'm not positive but I assume the Mondo they centered up the prop and Rudder.

I noticed after my LSV the best part is the boat goes straight when leaned for surfing a lot easier then my LSV did.

Not the best pic but the one I have.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/7148_XL_zpsca4edf65.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/7148_XL_zpsca4edf65.jpg.html)

That doesnt look very centered to me....

moombadaze
05-09-2015, 07:51 AM
And my last boat:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-89EIO7wdL3I/U34eVhKv87I/AAAAAAAAQPE/lurAxq1auYY/s800/20140507_072201.jpg

what is up with those wires going into those lights--love to see how the wires are ran into the hull, and what happened to the prop guard

mmandley
05-09-2015, 07:55 AM
That doesnt look very centered to me....

I didn't say the Prop and Shaft are centered on the boat. I said they are centered to each other. You can obviously see they are not staggered like the pictures above.

The Prop shaft is directly behind the rudder.

if you wish Dave I will take a picture at home this weekend and post it to prove my point to you sir.

wolfeman131
05-09-2015, 08:54 AM

So, you would have to remove the rudder to change out the shaft? Guess that is a great way to build up some shop hours.

mmandley
05-09-2015, 09:02 AM
So, you would have to remove the rudder to change out the shaft? Guess that is a great way to build up some shop hours.

I will get you pictures when I get home.

I have a lot more clearance from my shaft to the rudder. I assume you have enough room to move the shaft over to miss the rudder. IDK I have never had to replace it or remove it.

wolfeman131
05-09-2015, 09:05 AM
I have no interest in pics of your shaft, nor which/what hangs lower.

mmandley
05-09-2015, 09:12 AM
I have no interest in pics of your shaft, nor which/what hangs lower.

Just wait till you see how shinny it is.

rdlangston13
05-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Just wait till you see how shinny it is.

Knowing the condition of Mikes boat, I bet he polishes his shaft at least daily.

mmandley
05-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Knowing the condition of Mikes boat, I bet he polishes his shaft at least daily.

HAHAHA I try, and I have to eat some crow. My shaft is slightly offset from the Rudder, Not nearly as much as the pic Trayson posted on his Supra but it is slightly.

Crow taste good in the afternoon. nom nom nom