PDA

View Full Version : "keeping it legal" life vests. Brick or no-brick, that is the question.

trayson
05-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Okay, so I gave away all my crappy life jackets when I sold my last boat. Then I found myself doing a headcount on everyone that wanted to attend on Sunday and I was up to 8 "for sure" people and 2 more that wanted to be added to the list...

I went through my garage and was able to come up with 7 neoprene adult life jackets and 1 nylon teen jacket (which would work fine because a lot of the girls on our boat are tiny).

My buddy wanted to bring a couple more girls (who am I to complain?) and told me to just buy 4 more life jackets and he'd pay for them. (I like how he rolls! Like a boss!)

So my local grocery store has housewares and sporting goods. In addition to the beer and ice he was having me buy on his behalf, I grabbed 4 nylon sterns life jackets.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/65/01/06/0007650106096_180X180.jpg

I am debating whether I should keep these or if I should instead return them and get myself into a 4 or 6 life vest brick with the carry bag.

a brick of four is 21"x12"x11"
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/stores/sport-goods/detail-pages/B000KKEOWA-1.jpg

and a brick of six is 21"x16"x12".
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LvQmlDaBL.jpg

So pretty much figure they’ll be 21 inches long regardless. They’ll be about 11-12 inches wide. And they’ll be 2.7 to 3” thick for each one.

Which do you all prefer for the "I will probably never use these but need them for keeping it legal and for emergency"? I have a 2008 XLV that is spec'd for 16 passengers. I had 11 on my boat Sunday and it was pretty full. I don't see myself ever wanting to have more than 12 to 14 people...

So right now with the 4 Sterns that were just bought, I'm at 12 life vests. The idea of swapping those for a 6 brick gets me to 14 which is a great number, but I am not sure if the 6 brick will prove impractical because there's only so many places it'll fit, vs. more places a 4-brick would fit...

Thoughts and insight?

brain_rinse
05-05-2015, 07:01 PM
I had the brick initially but it was always in the way when I brought it along. Picked up enough neo vests in the offseason to retire the brick. I found it easier to lay unused neo jackets on top of the fat sacs in the rear lockers than store the brick (and then move it around 10 times during the day.) But that was an LSV, not an XLV so ymmv.

trayson
05-05-2015, 07:21 PM
I was thinking of maybe using the big storage accessed from the observer seat, that’s past where my amps are (basically under the windshield behind the bow seats). It seems like that's pretty much a dead space that doesn't really get used up. when we put bags in the observer storage they only go back as far as the amp rack and batteries typically... I could certainly stick at least 3 orange vests in the storage that's behind my cooler underseat cutout. right now I've got my reversible pump in there and a Tsunami pump with room to spare. it's small enough that it's not really useful as "storage". But I could certainly cram 2 to 3 vests in there. The problem with that spot is that it's undoubtedly going to get damn in there and I'm sure vests that are just left in that spot won't be dry and perfect.

Maybe I should get some orange vests I don't care about and cram them up the dead space in the sides of my gunwales! That could work. Then it'd just be a game of "where's waldo" if I ever got an inspection...

MLA
05-05-2015, 09:45 PM
I kept about 4 orange "horse collar" PFD's and about 24 actual TypeIII from toddler to XXL adult. Even the cheap nylon type III vests were better then the horse collar type because it allowed the user to get behind the boat, not just be legal to ride in the boat.

sivs1
05-05-2015, 10:10 PM
I love the Costco HO life jackets, they are neo and cheap. This year my local Costco is selling Hyperlite neo jackets. I get inspected 2-3 times a year, so I have 4 horse collar type and a whole bunch of neo's from toddler up to XXL. I always seem to impress the inspection guys so then if something is not quite right they let me pass, even when the sheriff does it. The neo's do take less space and are more usable than any of the nylon style.

valleywine
05-05-2015, 11:49 PM
I use the 4 brick to semi seal the area under the helm where my sub is. I actually think it helps the sub performance a little. My sub faces the driver w/ ports facing to the front of the boat into the storage area under the seats. Completely out of the way. I never really see them.

sandm
05-06-2015, 06:42 AM
I have a storage cubby in front of the helm that is accessible from the bow backrest. I keep a brick of 4 and 2 first aid kits there on top of the heater. out of the way, but there if needed.. they are from the original boat purchase in '07 and never been opened.

do keep 3 good jackets on board for adults but most that come with me have their own. I do not keep any kids jackets on board.

gregski
05-06-2015, 12:05 PM
I like the brick because it's easier to store in the garage when we don't need that many. I find the horse collar vests easier to jam into storage spaces (individually) than the full jacket kind. So for us, they are in the brick in the garage or stuffed around the boat when we need them. I don't think any of them have seem the water, they are there for the inspection and just in case we really needed one.

jester
05-06-2015, 04:45 PM
I currently have a brick of 3 in the boat and it is about to become a brick of 2. I like getting vests people will ride in. This gives me the different sizes and allows everyone to have a dry vest (Well if I like them).

trayson
05-06-2015, 04:55 PM
I currently have a brick of 3 in the boat and it is about to become a brick of 2. I like getting vests people will ride in. This gives me the different sizes and allows everyone to have a dry vest (Well if I like them).

Well, I already have the following Neoprene:
1 women's medium
1 teen (it's actually nylon)
1 men's medium
3 men's large
2 Men's XL

So far that's been a pretty good assortment. I'll have to think about what other sizes would round out the collection.

dusty2221
05-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Post not complete without pricing for every item, don't slack off now!

Mike, get in here!

:)

moombadaze
05-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Dusty, you forgot the 4 pictures per post requirements too

trayson
05-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Dusty, you forgot the 4 pictures per post requirements too

Let's not forget the multiple posts in a row because 4 pics is simply not enough...

sandm
05-06-2015, 07:16 PM
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/catharsis113/i20like20pie.jpg

mmandley
05-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Post not complete without pricing for every item, don't slack off now!

Mike, get in here!

:)

Bwahahaha

Well my boat came with 4 of the orange ones, and all my normal crew is required to buy their own.

Other wise the older neo ones we have are from Costco 40 each
Then I have 2 Comp vests. The one I just got this year. Search Amazon you can see the prices.

Lynn Syndrom
05-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Check your states requirements / boating laws. I have been through a inspection by the PA fish and Game commission while on the water and I was made to remove the life jackets from the block (plastic bag) that they came in (just like the orange jackets and bag you have pictured). The reasoning was "the jackets need to be available in an emergency and if they need to be removed from the storage bag / brick then they are not readily available (or something to that affect).

trayson
05-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Check your states requirements / boating laws. I have been through a inspection by the PA fish and Game commission while on the water and I was made to remove the life jackets from the block (plastic bag) that they came in (just like the orange jackets and bag you have pictured). The reasoning was "the jackets need to be available in an emergency and if they need to be removed from the storage bag / brick then they are not readily available (or something to that affect).

Pretty sure they're not going to be that anal here. I had a quickie inspection from the local sheriff at the boat launch and he asked me how many people I was going to have on the boat that day (I said about 8) and he asked to see at least 2 life jackets because that's how many people I had with me at that immediate moment.

But for the record, here's what WA says:

(1) No person may operate or permit the operation of a vessel on the waters of the state without a personal flotation device on board for each person on the vessel. Each personal flotation device shall be in serviceable condition, of an appropriate size, and readily accessible.

So technically they could be wieners and try to argue the 'readily accessible', but I probably won't worry that much. Bottom line they will twist words based on their mood. I had a water sheriff tell me once that my orange flag wasn't legit being displayed on the "flag buddy" attached to the tower. He said it had to be held. (even though the law says an observer must "display" it and rotating the flag upright on the flag buddy accomplishes the act of "displaying" it. Sometimes they get bored.

jester
05-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Pretty sure they're not going to be that anal here.

hahah you are funny. Depending on who you get depends on how anal they are. In my area there was a sheriff that did not like us having the life vests clipped to the tower to let dry. He said that was not "readily accessible" since you had to unhook them from something. It all depends on who you get and how much fun they are having that day.

trayson
05-07-2015, 02:20 PM
hahah you are funny. Depending on who you get depends on how anal they are. In my area there was a sheriff that did not like us having the life vests clipped to the tower to let dry. He said that was not "readily accessible" since you had to unhook them from something. It all depends on who you get and how much fun they are having that day.

That's nuts!!!

I think he just wanted you to put them on and cover up that pasty white skin!

sandm
05-07-2015, 02:23 PM
my experience has been with the few times I have been inspected, that the nicer you are to them and the more honest you are as to what's in the cooler when asked, the easier they are on the "readily accessible" issue. I had one tell me that my throwable had to be located next to the drivers seat at all times and having it in the cubby behind the observers seat was not acceptable. next year, same ramp different officer was fine with it.

sivs1
05-07-2015, 02:34 PM
You guys are lucky, my lake is patrolled by both Dept. of Natural Resources and the US Coast Guard Auxiliary. Last year I was ask to remove my factory mounted fire extinguisher from under the observers seat and place it near the driver.

trayson
05-07-2015, 02:41 PM
and the more honest you are as to what's in the cooler when asked

What's the problem there? There's nothing against the law about having lots of alcohol on board or even having passengers that are drinking it up. As long as the driver (operator) is sober, then you're good, right? I'm actually the one that is most always sober...

trayson
05-07-2015, 02:47 PM
You guys are lucky, my lake is patrolled by both Dept. of Natural Resources and the US Coast Guard Auxiliary. Last year I was ask to remove my factory mounted fire extinguisher from under the observers seat and place it near the driver.

I boat on the Columbia River that borders WA and OR. We have the Clark County Sherriff (WA), the Multnomah County Sherriff (OR), and the USCG. If the City of Portland or the City of Vancouver wanted to come by the boat launch they certainly could (and City cops will cruise through the launch in their patrol cars).

moombahighrider
05-07-2015, 02:53 PM
I had a water sheriff tell me once that my orange flag wasn't legit being displayed on the "flag buddy" attached to the tower. He said it had to be held. (even though the law says an observer must "display" it and rotating the flag upright on the flag buddy accomplishes the act of "displaying" it. Sometimes they get bored.

Trayson, this is not directly aimed at you (provided you actually use the flag buddy correctly), but I fully agree with the sheriff in this situation and the flag buddy issue. I see way too many people on my lake who leave the flag up 100% of the time, regardless of what they are doing and whether people are in the water or not, skiing or not, etc. It negates the purpose of the flag completely and I will not allow it on my boat. I make it someone's job and they must only have the flag up when the swimmer/ rider is in the water. It gets dropped as soon as the rider is up riding or back in the boat. It's a 'boy who cried wolf' situation otherwise...

Blueliner
05-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Not trying to hijack, Funny you mention alcohol. None allowed onboard where we are unless there is a permanent proper enclosed head with holding tank(maybe even cooking facilities) , and you are moored. So unless it is a cabin cruiser or other large vessel tied up to the dock no on any booze....terminally anal about this apparently.

As for the lifejackets I have I think 15 or 16 of all different sizes from walmart, I only take the appropriate ones with us. Even on a 23ft boat (that mighthave the rear lockers full of ballast soon) its a challenge to find places. What about the underside of the bimini with Velcro straps or something

trayson
05-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Trayson, this is not directly aimed at you (provided you actually use the flag buddy correctly), but I fully agree with the sheriff in this situation and the flag buddy issue. I see way too many people on my lake who leave the flag up 100% of the time, regardless of what they are doing and whether people are in the water or not, skiing or not, etc. It negates the purpose of the flag completely and I will not allow it on my boat. I make it someone's job and they must only have the flag up when the swimmer/ rider is in the water. It gets dropped as soon as the rider is up riding or back in the boat. It's a 'boy who cried wolf' situation otherwise...

I get where you're coming from. I don't like the "perma-up-flag" either. But in my case, we had 3 kids that were swimming off the back of the boat and we were just floating in the middle of the river with no one else around on the middle of a weekday. Per the cop, we would have needed one person to be on the boat holding up the flag for the kids to be able to swim off the back of the boat. I'm sorry, but after a couple minutes my arm would be aching. Having a flag mounted high and displayed w/o someone holding it in that situation didn't bother me at all. The kids never got more than 5 feet from the swim platform and no other boat has any stinking business getting that close to our boat while we're floating anyway.

Not trying to hijack, Funny you mention alcohol. None allowed onboard where we are unless there is a permanent proper enclosed head with holding tank(maybe even cooking facilities) , and you are moored. So unless it is a cabin cruiser or other large vessel tied up to the dock no on any booze....terminally anal about this apparently.

As for the lifejackets I have I think 15 or 16 of all different sizes from walmart, I only take the appropriate ones with us. Even on a 23ft boat (that mighthave the rear lockers full of ballast soon) its a challenge to find places. What about the underside of the bimini with Velcro straps or something

WOW, that's strict. I could live with that, because I'm not the type of person that needs alcohol to have a good time. But it would certainly have an effect on a ton of the guys on this forum that seem to think their boats run on BEER, not gas.

I've seen a bimini life vest bag that mounts on the underside of the bimini. Not my thing, but it exists.

I guess the best solution for making sure you have enough room for the extra life vests is to leave the TUBE at home!!!

moombahighrider
05-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Trayson, I have no issue with that situation you describe. I do the same thing occasionally using a strap to hold the flag up there, so that is how we tackle it when we are floating and swimming. It sounds like you use it appropriately otherwise, so that is great. So many punters out there that don't have a clue how to behave properly on the lake- it drives me crazy sometimes. There should be a mandatory 'have you got your head screwed on correctly?' test before one is allowed to buy and/or operate a boat...

trayson
05-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Trayson, I have no issue with that situation you describe. I do the same thing occasionally using a strap to hold the flag up there, so that is how we tackle it when we are floating and swimming. It sounds like you use it appropriately otherwise, so that is great. So many punters out there that don't have a clue how to behave properly on the lake- it drives me crazy sometimes. There should be a mandatory 'have you got your head screwed on correctly?' test before one is allowed to buy and/or operate a boat...

Yeah, somehow the "boater's education card" just doesn't equal common sense/courtesy.

Like don't do power turns pulling a tube and ruin my glass! That should be enforced at gunpoint!

sandm
05-07-2015, 06:39 PM
tray, not illegal to have booze on board, but if they ask, and they always have when I've been inspected, good to let them know what's going on. respect thing.
boatload of 20-30somethings+cooler+wakeboat wtih big speakers-kids around=probability of alcohol in the cooler. if they think you are insulting their intelligence, gives them a reason to dig especially if it's slow at the ramp at that moment.

all my experiences anyway.

trayson
05-07-2015, 07:14 PM
tray, not illegal to have booze on board, but if they ask, and they always have when I've been inspected, good to let them know what's going on. respect thing.
boatload of 20-30somethings+cooler+wakeboat wtih big speakers-kids around=probability of alcohol in the cooler. if they think you are insulting their intelligence, gives them a reason to dig especially if it's slow at the ramp at that moment.

all my experiences anyway.

I agree. it's amazing how far respect and confidence will go.

mmandley
05-07-2015, 09:04 PM
My experience with the Marine patrol in OR has always been good. At inspection time they ask how many i have on board, I tell them then start pulling vests out. They even count my competition vests.

As for the WA interations only one I had pissed me off, We had been wake boarding and surfing the same line by the edge of the lake all day. Shaded from the wind. A fishing boat came into the same area we where at, then next the Patrol shows up and tell us we have to leave the area so he can fish. WTF.

On LBC we have always had good contacts, once Claudia was sitting on the edge of the back seat, thats illegal in OR and we got pulled over, warned us it is a $400 fine. They asked if we had anything on the boat, I said yea, we have lots of refreshments, and adult beverages but everything was plastic, can, and I had my 9mm. They asked where the gun was and I said in the cubby, in a holster the mag was loaded but the gun wasn't chambered.

They simply replied good, thanks for the info, and be safe stay off the rear deck when moving.

For the first couple seasons it seemed we always got stoped for inspections, and general chat. Now it just seems like only on our local lake we get interacted with. Mostly its the Patrol saying hi, and joking about wanting to come out surfing and such. I always tell them take your shoes off and come aboard then lol.

kaneboats
05-08-2015, 01:41 PM
You stop me you better have a warrant. How do I know you are REALLY a copy anyway. Keep your hands where I can see 'em BOY.

bergermaister
05-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Been checked by local city cops out on the lake doing "bikini patrol" and they didn't seem to know much about what they were doing.

Sheriff has checked us out but was mostly interested in our registration being current and being able to run us for any outstanding warrants or something.

USCG on the other hand was a bit more thorough. Every lifejacket checked. Every safety device checked. Flags, floats, fire extinguisher, flares, lights. All of it. We had a soft sided cooler sitting on the floor which only had sandwiches. The built-in cooler was being sat on and they didn't ask at all.

You may remember this pic posted up a few seasons ago. Figured these guys didn't need a warrant...

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1120322.jpg

I have a variety of vests and tend to bring only what we need for the day plus a few extras. 3 orange specials are always stuffed away in a cubby just in case. The USCG found a 1/4" rip in one of our vests near the strap that day and said it was no good anymore and needed replaced. Those bricks are a great idea but as already mentioned take up too much space for something you'll never likely use.