PDA

View Full Version : Securing tower speakers

CookieMonster
05-05-2015, 11:30 AM
I did some googling and haven't found an answer I'm looking for. One of my tower speakers swivels/ moves at the point it's attached to the tower. I can't tighten the alan screw any more. Do I need to put more rubber gasket b/t the mount and tower? If so where can I find some? It's becoming a problem because the speaker will cut out if it moves too much on the water. I guess it's causing a short in the wire.

MLA
05-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Based on your signature, you have Rev-10. Those are universal tube clamps, but only down to 2" for the standard clamp and for below 2" tubes, they have the mini clamp. Id guess your 05 has the 1-7/8" tube. 1st, I would start by measuring the tube to make sure you've got the best clamp size for the tube. Next, make sure you are using the proper length bolts. For the small tube, you would likely need the 1-1/4" bolt or the 1-3/4 bolt at the most. Finally, contact wet sounds about getting a set of the rubber inserts that come with the clamps. If yours did not, id say they were a very early set of Rev's.

Before buttoning up the clamps, you need to drop the pod down and repair what is likely a pinched wire. I would also put in a snap bushing to protect form further chaffing.

Rakkasan
05-05-2015, 12:04 PM
As far as the moving clamp I was having the same problem on my 08. I called wet sounds and they said that my best bet was to take off the clamps and wrap the tower with something like skateboard tape. Because mine were no longer produced they didn't have replacement gaskets. I ended up using tennis racquet Handel wrap, feels pretty secure but just put it on so time will tell. Better than it was though, no movement now.

CookieMonster
05-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Ok, I'll measure the tower. They both have rubber inserts under the clamps. One of the speakers is solid as a rock, that's why I'm puzzled about the other one moving. I think I'll just take it off, fix the pinched wire, and wrap the tower with some handle wrap.

MLA
05-05-2015, 01:04 PM
When you drop the pod, check the bolt length. There are three lengths that are included with each clamp kit. I listed the medium and short above. If the medium or long bolts are used, drop down to the next shorter length and that will likely take care of it.

CookieMonster
05-07-2015, 10:39 AM
When you drop the pod, check the bolt length. There are three lengths that are included with each clamp kit. I listed the medium and short above. If the medium or long bolts are used, drop down to the next shorter length and that will likely take care of it.

I dropped it yesterday. Bolt length is fine. One speaker is secure, the other isn't quite. The one that moves has stripped the rubber seal on the + and - wires. I need a quick fix for the weekend. Can I just wrap them with electrical tape? I'm going to get some more rubber gasket from autozone to help secure the speaker.

wolfeman131
05-07-2015, 12:34 PM
getcha some!

CookieMonster
05-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Based on your signature, you have Rev-10. Those are universal tube clamps, but only down to 2" for the standard clamp and for below 2" tubes, they have the mini clamp. Id guess your 05 has the 1-7/8" tube. 1st, I would start by measuring the tube to make sure you've got the best clamp size for the tube. Next, make sure you are using the proper length bolts. For the small tube, you would likely need the 1-1/4" bolt or the 1-3/4 bolt at the most. Finally, contact wet sounds about getting a set of the rubber inserts that come with the clamps. If yours did not, id say they were a very early set of Rev's.

Before buttoning up the clamps, you need to drop the pod down and repair what is likely a pinched wire. I would also put in a snap bushing to protect form further chaffing.

Couple things: I think do need some shorter bolts to make it clamp tight. Any idea what size (diameter) they are? Also, I think I may have to re-wire them, I can't seem to find a diagram of how to do so...

MLA
05-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Couple things: I think do need some shorter bolts to make it clamp tight. Any idea what size (diameter) they are? Also, I think I may have to re-wire them, I can't seem to find a diagram of how to do so...

The threads are M8 x 1.25. The short bolts that come with the clamps are 30mm in length Stainless Steel Allen head.

Theres only a black neg and red pos lead for the speakers. Not sure what color the wires in the tower could be.

CookieMonster
05-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Ok, thanks. I'm going to try to order some screws and find some more rubber gasket to secure it better after I re-wire it.

MLA
05-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Either through your local Wet Sounds dealer or Wet Sounds direct, you can source replacement rubber inserts. They've updated them recently to a material that feels less rubber and more of a nylon. I think its much better. Its compresses less when snugging the clamp bolts but still grips the tower like the rubber ones.

CookieMonster
05-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Either through your local Wet Sounds dealer or Wet Sounds direct, you can source replacement rubber inserts. They've updated them recently to a material that feels less rubber and more of a nylon. I think its much better. Its compresses less when snugging the clamp bolts but still grips the tower like the rubber ones.

Ok, I contacted wet sounds and I think they're sending me new inserts, but just in case they're don't arrive by tomorrow I need to find some other type of rubber gasket to put there. I ordered shorter screws from ebay and they came in, I think they're the right size. I've looked all over home depot, tractor supply and walmarts websites to find something to use for a gasket and can't find anything. Do you have any idea of what I could use that I can pick up at one of these stores today?

mikenehrkorn
05-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Wouldn't some electrical or duct tape work as a quick fix?

CookieMonster
05-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Yea, but I'd like to avoid that at all costs. The previous owner put electrical tape all over the tower on the bimini mounts and it slid out of place and looks terrible. Removing that is on my to-do list for the weekend.

jstenger
05-14-2015, 05:57 PM
I had a similar issue on my last boat. I used black ABS plastic pipe that had an inside diameter that was close to the outside diameter of the tower. I cut the pipe to match the width of the clamp. I then cut the pipe in half lengthwise so that I could slip it over the tower. Worked great and never slipped. It basically adds a 1/2" to the tower diameter and blends in.

CookieMonster
05-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Just got what I needed in the mail yesterday. Wet Sounds sent me new gaskets and the shorter screws, no charge!

kaneboats
05-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Yea, but I'd like to avoid that at all costs. The previous owner put electrical tape all over the tower on the bimini mounts and it slid out of place and looks terrible. Removing that is on my to-do list for the weekend.

Goo gone is good stuff for the residue but WD 40 has a nice spray nozzle and works well too.

CookieMonster
05-15-2015, 11:33 AM
I'll give it a try. I was going to use acetone, but that sounds better.