PDA

View Full Version : Dual battery hookup

Wax
05-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Sold my 06 LSV, and the new owner is having some trouble getting it to turn over. I never had an issue, but I'm thinking maybe he has the batteries connected wrong. He sent me a pic, I can't tell. I might swing out to his place to help him this week, but I thought maybe you guys could help. He said the fuel pump and gauges all turn on, but starter won't do anything. The batteries are only a year and a half old and he had one checked at auto zone, it was good and charged.

Can anybody think of anything?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Wax
05-02-2015, 04:05 PM
F'ing tapatalk won't let me upload a pic, keeps crashing

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

newty
05-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Either the throttle isn't in neutral or the lanyard is out or not secure.
$'s on the throttle.

cfdrews12
05-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Newty has two great checks that are easiest and usually the cause of the issue. Pretty hard to hook up the battery cables incorrectly if your paying attention, however, I did have a similar issue on an older battery that just didn't have enough power "under load" to turn the starter. Although the battery will check out at a auto parts store, he needs to find a location that will check the battery "under load". If he doesn't have enough cranking amps from a dead cell or two, he's going to get power, but not enough to start the boat. If that is the case. New battery :(

CookieMonster
05-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Mine wouldn't turn over for about 10 minutes the first few times I brought it out. Try moving the throttle all the way in reverse then back up. Fixed my problem, guess I wasn't in neutral although it was technically in the neutral position.

sivs1
05-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Mine wouldn't turn over for about 10 minutes the first few times I brought it out. Try moving the throttle all the way in reverse then back up. Fixed my problem, guess I wasn't in neutral although it was technically in the neutral position.

I had that happen, was in neutral but really wasn't in neutral. was towed back to the ramp, had half the thing apart in my driveway until I decided to try and move the throttle. I was relieved as I was thinking I had to go to the dealer to diagnose the issue, but also annoyed that it was something so simple. This year I took the safety lanyard off because it was in my way of where I was working, took me 10 minutes trying to start it later before I had another oh S%$&%$ moment and realized it was still off. Gotta Love Boats....

CookieMonster
05-05-2015, 03:00 PM
haha I'm glad mine was still on the trailer. You tend to think it's something more complicated than it is with things like that.