PDA

View Full Version : No exhaust water

Boatdrinks797
05-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Just pulled the boat out and getting it ready to drop in this weekend. I suppose it would be worth noting that I did my own winterization and impeller change last fall. When I hooked up my fake a lake and ran for a couple minutes I never got any exhaust water. It was definetly pulling water since the water strainer was full and hot water came out of the quick disconnect hose but nothing came out of the exhaust. The engine temp got a little over normal temp before I shut it down.

The impeller housing had water drain from it once I opened up thinking it may be an impeller issue. When installing impellers do you need to orientate the fins specifically or will the align once running? Could the thermostat be stuck in the closed position? Air lock? I checked the hoses and nothing appears kinked. Am I missing anything else? I'm hoping theres another obvious fix out there.

Thanks!

lee
05-02-2015, 07:31 AM
It would have to fill the engine block with water first. It will take about 2.5 gallons for that.

valleywine
05-02-2015, 08:51 AM
I'd say check the impeller to make sure it is positioned correctly and can suck water. I'm not sure if they will self align. Seems like they would but I guess it could be stuck spinning w/ the fins in the opposite direction. It shouldn't take that long to see exhaust water.

lee
05-02-2015, 09:07 AM
The impeller will flip the blades to the correct positions.

gregski
05-04-2015, 01:16 PM
There should always be water going out through the exhaust to keep it cool, even when the thermostat is closed - the thermostat only regulates the cool water running through the engine.

What do you mean that hot water came out of the quick-disconnect? After you ran, you opened it up and there was water present, or was it still disconnected?

ranger098
05-04-2015, 01:36 PM
I did my own winterization last year too, and this year it def took a while to get water coming out the exhaust.

bergermaister
05-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Knowing you have a good impeller try testing the thermostat in a pan of water on the stove with a meat thermometer. Should open / close around 160.

Could also put it back together without the thermostat in and run it to check your flow through.

I had a new thermostat fail after only one season. Not common but it can happen.

chadjitsu1
05-05-2015, 04:17 PM
make sure and check your oil too, If it looks like chocolate mily your filling the block fool of water. This will also take a little while to fill, a cracked block from an improper winterization can cause that. Also how do you know that there is water flowing from the hose. Is it possible the hose is deadheading and no water is actually flowing or flowing really slow. With the boat running go over to the water shut off and turn int off, see if the hose takes a sec to lose pressure or if its immediate.

DOCDRS
05-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Sounds like you had the water shut off or not turned on enough. When your running on fake a lake you dont even need an impeller. Pressure from the hose will fill the block and then the rest will go to the exhaust manifolds. If none was coming out the exhaust there was most likely insufficient water supply .02

valleywine
05-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Sounds like you had the water shut off or not turned on enough. When your running on fake a lake you dont even need an impeller. Pressure from the hose will fill the block and then the rest will go to the exhaust manifolds. If none was coming out the exhaust there was most likely insufficient water supply .02

Good point. My plumbed fake a lake needs to have the ball valve closed or water will run out of the intake under the boat.

kaneboats
05-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Take a good look at the first tip in this thread. You have just described exactly the symptoms I was having. My impeller looked perfect but was junk.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?22169-Great-Tips-of-the-week-month