PDA

View Full Version : Leakdown/Compression check? Bad oil consumption 13 LSV

icemanftr
04-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Hello all! I been trolling for a while, but breaking my boat back out for the season (2013 LSV 330hp) and wondering if I should do a leakdown and compression check? Last year especially I was getting used to bringing a gallon of oil with me on 4-5 day trips on the water. I would literally add almost a quart every tank of gas. My boats main purpose is surfing, with some wake/tubing for kids. I have around 110 hours on it and have changed oil 5x since new already. I use Chevron Delo 15w/40 for oil and filters from NAPA. Dealer said oil consumption is normal, but this seams a bit extreme and want to bring light to it while my motor is still under full warranty. I am the original owner.

I run 1100 rears, factory front hard tank, along with 650 IBS in front. I usually have 3-5 people in boat at all times and as many as 10. My boat throws a knarly surf for sure with all this weight, but I want to insure the motor isn't going to pop or get worse from here on out.

Thanks

Kyle

brain_rinse
04-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Check out this thread and note that Engine Nut is from Indmar. https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17534-Note-from-Indmar-CHANGE-YOUR-OIL

icemanftr
04-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Check out this thread and note that Engine Nut is from Indmar. https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17534-Note-from-Indmar-CHANGE-YOUR-OIL

Thanks for the reply. I read that a few years ago and have kept that in mind, but I have also changed my oil every 20-25 hours knowing the amount of surfing I do on my boat. 1.5 quarts every 30 hours or so wouldn't be bad, but adding 1-1.5 quarts every fill up is a bit extreme. I have added a quart of oil on the 2nd day of surfing when filled up. Sometimes my eyes place tricks on me, or I think well maybe the boat wasn't as level on the last check when I pulled dipstick.

I feel by doing the leak down and compression test will tell me if my motor needs to be rebuild or at least re-ringed as the tolerance may be too loose and causing excessive oil burn.

mmandley
04-30-2015, 11:33 PM
I would expect some oil usage as the chart displays but no engine really should be using a quart per tank of fuel. A tank of fuel is only 10 hours in most boats.

You can do a compression test but that doesn't mean its the lower end, it could also be the valve train. You can help isolate the two buy adding a little oil during your compression test. If the results get better, your rings are leaking by, if they stay the same the valves are leaking by.

Also it could be the valve seals, which you mostly notice when a car is at idle, and then as it accelerates it leaves a cloud of smoke.

In my 325 LSV I burned about a quart every 25 hours.

In the Mojo with the 345 Surf engine I burn a quart per season or 100 hours.

newty
04-30-2015, 11:35 PM
I burn 1.5-2 quarts every 50hrs. I would imagine it's pretty normal given surf duty. Pretty common with that motor.
Oil every fill up? Do you have any oil in the hull or black/white smoke from the exhaust?

kaneboats
05-01-2015, 09:48 AM
You can help isolate the two buy adding a little oil during your compression test. If the results get better, your rings are leaking by, if they stay the same the valves are leaking by.

Do this right away. This is perfect advice. You are going through WAY too much oil. Likely need a new engine.