PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires - Informal Poll

kaneboats
04-28-2015, 10:11 AM
This was discussed a couple years ago. I don't think we ever came to a consensus on a decent replacement trailer tire. I think there were horror stories with just about every brand as they are all made in China now.

Anyway, please post your thoughts, experiences, observations on brands you have RECENT experience with. Don't bother mentioning how good your Goodyear tires were back in '02. Keep it within the last 3-4 years so we have current info in this thread. Let's try to help everybody out shopping for tires right now. Thanks!

rdlangston13
04-28-2015, 10:24 AM
I bought 4 Carlisle tires in 2011 and have not had any blow outs yet. The tread wear is showing some crazy patterns but that could be due to improper axle alignment on the trailer or bent spindles/trailer arms. Not necessarily a tire issue

Sent from my iPhone

bergermaister
04-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Don't bother mentioning how good your Goodyear tires were back in '02.

Well that rules me out... LOL Ran those original GY's until July 2013 - that's 12 years!

Now running Power King TowMax (Les Schwab). So far perfect after a few summers of long and short road trips - still look new.

sivs1
04-28-2015, 10:36 AM
I have used Discount Tire for my recent tire purchases, both trailers and cars, have no complaints and prices seem good. Last spring I bought two Carlisle tires and they seem decent so far. The thing to remember is the tire will wear out before the tread will wear out, I change my trailer tires between 5 and 6 years, regardless of wear. Check the manufacture date on the tire and use that as your guide. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

csm
04-28-2015, 11:09 AM
I bought Carlisles at Discount Tire, and no complaints. I think I researched some threads on WW before purchasing, and Carlisle seemed to be recommended by a lot of people.

mnpracing
04-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Kuhmo 857's

Only tires I've found with a D rating in a 14 inch tire.

mmandley
04-29-2015, 09:36 AM
I have the Towmaster brand on my trailer right now.

These are the ones we got after the factory ones wore out on the trip to Powell.

They have apx 4K on them and are holding up great. No real signs of wear on them.

Although my trailer brakes are now toast after 2 summers and I have to put new pads on them.

bergermaister
04-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Although my trailer brakes are now toast after 2 summers and I have to put new pads on them.

Dude you need to start draining your ballast before you trailer... :cool:

mmandley
04-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Dude you need to start draining your ballast before you trailer... :cool:

HAHAHA no I just tow places I need trailer brakes at.

Maybe this is why i am so attament about people using the correct tow vechicle to haul these boats.
Just because it says you can haul 6K on the hitch doesn't mean you shuld pull 6k behind it.

I know the Eco is rated to pull 11K but going down the LBC mountain with no trailer brakes caused my front brakes to almost turn red, they where smoking at the bottom of the 3 Rivers hill.

I can only image those that pull with less then a 1/2ton if they lost there trailer brakes going down a big hill.

bergermaister
04-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Following my buddy over Mt Hood last year on the backside headed home, the fronts on his Escalade were rolling smoke because his boat was pushing him down the hill. He said they were getting softer and softer and he had to downshift until we got into the flats. Not so fun.

mmandley
04-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Following my buddy over Mt Hood last year on the backside headed home, the fronts on his Escalade were rolling smoke because his boat was pushing him down the hill. He said they were getting softer and softer and he had to downshift until we got into the flats. Not so fun.

I only had this issue at 3 Rivers going down that hill, but after that any time I pulled the boat I could feel a big difference in the way the truck felt trying to stop.

I was actually going to put ceramic pads, drilled and cross sloted rotors on the F150 this year, but then I sold it LOL.

I know I prolly expect to much out of my trucks IDK, I expect them to go the speed limit with the boat, get over 10mpg, and stop within a reasonable distance. I expect my coffee not to spill around corners lol.

To each their own with what they choose to pull thier boats with but I expect a priemium experience when towing lol.

rca
04-29-2015, 10:18 PM
I've got Carlisles from Discount Tire on the trailer now and they have been great. Especially compared to whatever it was that came on the trailer from the factory. Those were the worst tires I can remember on any vehicle I've ever owned. The crazy wear patterns and terrible tread life were amazing after one season. Now I get that we trailer a lot, but the Carlisles still look almost new after 2 seasons.

uniwarking
04-30-2015, 12:04 AM
I was really happy with the Maxxis Radial ST M8008's I had on my last trailer, no issues with them. Hear a lot of positive things as well. The ST's are made in Thailand.

http://www.maxxis.com/tires/autolt/trailer

Someone mentioned the D rated Kumhos as well, I'd looked at those when I bought the Maxxis tires... solid reviews but pricey and probably overkill (857's I believe). These are made in either China or Korea.

kaneboats
07-06-2015, 03:18 PM
4 hrs. towing each way coming up. Still have the original trailer tires on a 2008 trailer. Just ordered the Carlisles. We'll see how they do.

zabooda
07-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Power King TowMax from Les Schwab's as well with four seasons. If I had dual axles and a spare, I wouldn't be concerned on the first failure.

rdlangston13
07-07-2015, 02:17 PM
I run Carlisle on a tandem axle. I have crazy tread wear patterns but I think that's more of the trailer than the tires. Has them on since 2011 and one is completely bald in a couple spots. Plan is to run them until they blow up.

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
07-07-2015, 02:45 PM
I should send you my old ones. Lotsa tread left but worried about age on a single axle. Wrong size anyway.

brain_rinse
07-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I should send you my old ones. Lotsa tread left but worried about age on a single axle. Wrong size anyway.
Sounds like you made a good call. I'm guessing the old ones are still worth a few bucks on CL if you want them gone.

kaneboats
07-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Not a bad idea. Wonder if they would fit my yard trailer. I think it has 14's. Everybody in the neighborhood borrows it to take their golf carts and bikes in for service. Needs balance more than tires. You can barely stand to pull it when empty. Shakes the whole truck.

uniwarking
07-24-2015, 08:00 AM
So I ended up replacing my trailer tires quite a bit earlier than expected on the Mojo... we just bought it new in Aug of 13 so we're just coming up to three years. Apparently the tires Boatmate uses are of very poor quality. Last weekend, we made a 2 hour road trip (each way), checked pressures before we left. When we got back from our trip I noticed one of the tires was low and had developed some serious wear on the outer edges. Apparently it had developed a small bead leak. Upon closer inspection, I found the tire in front of it had a six inch long crack in the sidewall. The other two tires still had a lot of tread but we're certainly showing signs of wear, possibly some early minor dry rot. I opted to replace all four tires... since these tires are crap and you can't even find them anymore (even my spare is a different brand as Boatmate switched suppliers before I could buy it from them).

I skipped over the Maxxis this time and bought the Kuhmo Radial 857's. These tires are load range D so they have about 500 lbs more capacity at full pressure... the biggest factor for me was that they are also Q speed rated... 99 MPH vs 65 MPH on usual Class C tires. Not that I drive 99 but I do hit 75 or so from time to time... and from what I've read the class C's lose load capacity very quickly at lower pressure and higher speeds. The added capacity and speed ratings are nice for piece of mind... and now these tires have a nice warranty on them. And, I walked out maybe only $100 more spent than I would have on Carlisle tires.