PDA

View Full Version : Blower Replacement

HaveyOutback
04-27-2015, 02:59 PM
I've dealt with our noisy blower for 4 years now. Asked the dealership to look at it and their response was that it was working fine. While I agree it works, I was hoping to determine why it is so loud.

Has anyone replaced theirs and had success quieting it down?
I am not sure where ours is located in our Outback - but figured I could start taking up floor panels.

Any comments - tips would be very helpful!

BrettLee3232
04-27-2015, 03:11 PM
How loud is loud? Every boat I've been in their always loud. I was told it was suppose to be audible so you can tell when it's on/off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viking
04-27-2015, 03:19 PM
I read the title and thought I was going to see a Whipple Charger or something with a huge serpentine belt?
On your subject I've found that turning the music up usually solve the issue!!

HaveyOutback
04-27-2015, 03:25 PM
I completely agree with the Music part viking, but the kids get tired of Def Leppard all day!
I guess it compares to the my first boat, but three of my buddies have Malibu Response's and their blowers are very quiet in comparison.
It makes sense that you should hear it to know it is on, but it sounds like a blow horn.
Maybe I'll get an audio file of it uploaded!

viking
04-27-2015, 03:39 PM
I know alot of it can depend on the location. ON my outback it was on the starboard side near the engine mount (basically right behind the helm) so it seemed alot louder than alot of v-drives I've been in since they are located usually on the transom inside engine bay port near the locker. Might be more insulated there too? Any rate I could always tell when mine was on. I don't think they are that expensive to replace?

HaveyOutback
04-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the comments.
It certainly isn't too expensive to replace. The local dealership quoted $90 including parts / labor.
Just want to make sure if there is a better blower assembly or manufacturer - I'll try to figure the installation myself.

Getting the itch to get back on the water...

brain_rinse
04-27-2015, 04:18 PM
I just installed this one and it's not loud at all. Replacement is very easy as well. http://amzn.com/B001O0DE9E

kaneboats
04-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Yea, I had to do one a few years back. That's about right. 15 bucks and 15 min. Easiest thing in the world on an Outback.

zabooda
04-28-2015, 05:49 PM
You'll see that same blower in the single speed Heatercraft heaters. Just in case you need to change it out.

HaveyOutback
04-29-2015, 07:05 PM
I took out some of the floor panels around the engine and the back ski locker hoping to locate the blower and couldn't locate it.
I reached down past the gas tank as far as I could and didn't seem to feel anything resembling this blower housing?

Any thoughts?
Would they really locate it towards the front of the boat under the drivers or passengers side?
I'm beginning to think the $90 is well worth the cost.

brain_rinse
04-29-2015, 07:20 PM
You said it is loud - can you just turn it on and follow the sound?

HaveyOutback
04-29-2015, 07:36 PM
That will be the next course of action.
Still waiting for the battery to charge, so I will attempt to investigate further later in the week.

kaneboats
04-29-2015, 10:07 PM
I think the one on my Outback was all the way near the stern. The front facing scoop vents push air into the engine compartment as the boat moves. The blower works like an exhaust fan in a bathroom and is located close to the transom where the air exits.

jmb
04-30-2015, 06:19 AM
Mine is located under front of engine next to oil pan, starboard side (driver)

kaneboats
04-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Well, OK then Jack. Mine was a 2000 so what do I know?

viking
04-30-2015, 04:36 PM
on my outback it was on the starboard side near the engine mount (basically right behind the helm)

see post #5 :)