PDA

View Full Version : New Head Unit Suggestions

rdlangston13
04-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Ok everyone, our Kenwood head unit went into "protect" mode yesterday and would not come out of it. I had to hot wire the stereo to bypass the head unit while we were on the water to get it working for the day. I now need suggestion for a new Kenwood head unit. One that is iPod "ready" and the factory remote by the drivers seat works with is preferred. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone

sivs1
04-27-2015, 10:43 AM
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kdc-bt558u/

This is the one I upgraded to last Spring. Also recommended this to someone else and I think they were moving forward with it as well.

gpd005
04-27-2015, 11:18 AM
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kdc-bt558u/

This is the one I upgraded to last Spring. Also recommended this to someone else and I think they were moving forward with it as well.

Yep this was me, I purchased it last week and it should be here today actually.

DDNorCal
04-28-2015, 12:47 AM
Kenwood KMR 440U with the remote is a good fit, easy upgrade and iPod ready. I've had no complaints.

viking
04-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Why not get a WS420 and eliminate the HU altogether? Or do you like the track and playlist display and info. on the HU? Only reason I see a benefit that way.

mbusch5
04-29-2015, 04:51 PM
David, I'm thinking about swapping out my Sony equipment for the Kenwood. How do you like the wired remote? Does it work well with the ipod and or android phone? The Sony remote has no real value when using an ipod. You cant control much more than volume and the sony head unit doesn't recognize an android phone.

spyder
05-01-2015, 10:55 AM
I just put an order in 2 days ago for a Kenwood KMR-D562BT (http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/marine/kmr-d562bt/), should be here today or monday. Currently using a Kenwood KMR-550U in the boat right now. (which i upgraded to about 2.5 year ago)

KG's Supra24
05-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Did you order anything David?

I need to find a bluetooth solution and currently have the Kenwood head unit (same as you I believe)

I figure my options are ...

1. exile bt - ewww :p but best price
2. ws bluetooth dongle - a little pricier and I'm not sure there is a reason
3. new head unit with bluetooth - about same price as ws bt dongle but could keep transom remote in play (i think)

rdlangston13
05-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Did you order anything David?

I need to find a bluetooth solution and currently have the Kenwood head unit (same as you I believe)

I figure my options are ...

1. exile bt - ewww :p but best price
2. ws bluetooth dongle - a little pricier and I'm not sure there is a reason
3. new head unit with bluetooth - about same price as ws bt dongle but could keep transom remote in play (i think)

I have not ordered anything but if I were you I would go with the new Kenwood headunit to keep the transom remote in play. I tried to convince my wife we needed a transom remote and she fails to see the benefit. I guess when shes always making me crawl in the boat to adjust volume or change the song she really wont see why its useful...

gpd005
05-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Yep this was me, I purchased it last week and it should be here today actually.

We got this unit installed this week and everything is working perfect, remotes all work just like they are suppose too. Bluetooth is working perfect from my phone as well. Hitting the water this weekend!